“Stay Somewhere Else”

Inn at Crested Butte
Reviewed 21 July 2017

Recently spent 4 nights at the Inn at Crested Butte. Not a good experience. Beds were lumpy, soft and uncomfortable. Rooms were dark with a funny smell. Windows painted shut so we couldn't let in the cool mountain air. Hot tub was not operating. Breakfast was just basic - stale bagels & donuts, hard boiled eggs, yogurt. Cookies were available the first night but not after - people were asking for them - "the girl forgot to make them this morning." Wi-Fi didn't work the entire time we were there. Staff said "they are working on it." Several guests who were trying to work from the Inn couldn't connect and were very frustrated. In this day and time, skimping on Wi-Fi is not a smart way to save money. All of this for over $250 a night. No attempt at customer service at all. The only good thing about this place is the location which is within blocks of the main street. Paradise restaurant is great for breakfast - we ate there every day since the breakfast at the inn was so sparse. We love Crested Butte but will not be back to this inn. There are better choices.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Southerngal27

Reviewed 6 July 2017

Referring to this establishment as "A Boutique Hotel" is a bit of a stretch. Except for its location there is very little else to recommend. Front desk service, yes, but hospitality or a smile, not so much. Breakfast yes, but warm orange juice and ice cold boiled eggs, meh. Room was sparsely furnished, and toiletries were from refillable dispensers. Overall, poor value for the "boutique" price.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

Drove 5.5 hours only to find that the older reviews were incorrect. Website photos must be another place. Rooms are dark and not clean. Hallways are dirty. As one traveler correctly put it, "Skip this one."

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank JaimeMexico
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I just read a review from Mr. Moray - we must have have had the same rude desk clerk. We, too, were called early in the day to see what time we would arrive - that was probably the nicest thing that happened our whole stay. We had a King room with a balcony, but it was so small, we could barely get around the bed - there was no room for our suitcases. There was no chair, no table, no way to adjust the room temperature (which was way too hot). The whole dispenser with shampoo and conditioner fell off the wall when we tried to use it. The blind on the door to the balcony fell off the top everytime we opened the door. Also - it was not individual balconies, but one large balcony running the length of the front of the inn, so we xould not leave the door open to cool off. We were told there was wine at 5, so we came down to have a glass of wine. The red wine that she gave us was bad - it had turned - it was impossible to drink. She reluctantly opened another bottle as another gentleman had come to join us. She poured us each half a glass, then came and took our glasses away before we could get our second half - so incredibly rude. She told us that she would be back at 7:30 the next morning to set out breakfast, but did not show up till 8:30, just as we were packed up and ready to leave. We had a 2 week trip traveling throughout SW Colorado, and this was by far the worst place we stayed. In fact, it tops the list of worse places we have ever stayed.

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth1756
Reviewed 29 March 2017

My husband and I were returning guests at The Inn at Crested Butte. We absolutely love the staff & the atmosphere. Everything from the over sized king beds, wonderful breakfast to the absolutely breathtaking views.
Particularly, on this visit, we were unfortunately in a room that happened to be damaged over night from snow/ice falling from the roof! However, the hotel staff was SO kind & moved us immediately. We had our small dog with us, so they were able to accommodate us indefinitely. It was such a wonderful experience & I cannot wait to come back!
Thank you for having us!

Room Tip: Balcony View, second floor
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2017 via mobile

Wow, where to start with this one. It began well enough. The hotel called me in the middle of the day to find out when I'd be arriving and to give me the after hours information, which I thought was very considerate and boded well for the level of service. I called later to confirm I'd be arriving after hours and the person I spoke with was very friendly and professional. I arrived well after dark and got settled with no issues, although the path to the side door was very dark and I worried about tripping on something I couldn't see. The room was nice, but awfully small, with no chair, no table, and no thermostat. But for a generally expensive ski town it seemed reasonable, the bed was comfy and it was dead quiet, so I thought I was in for a nice stay.

Things went south in the morning. First off, the conditioner dispenser was empty. Not even kind of a big deal, but for the price (and the "upscale boutique" claim) you'd think they'd pay attention to that kind of thing. Then when I went to ask where the guest laundry was I was told there wasn't one, even though it's listed as an amenity on the site I booked with. Again, not a huge deal, but really inconvenient because I'm on a cross-country road trip and use my hotel stays to take care of things like laundry. I specifically checked to make sure it was offered, so needless to say I was surprised it wasn't. I asked if there was concierge service, which I was willing to pay for, and was again told there wasn't, despite the laundry bag hanging in the closet. The desk clerk basically laughed it off and offered no solutions. "Not that I know of," came out of her mouth when I asked her if she was sure there was no laundry of any kind, at the hotel or in town. "We're under new management so I dunno." For all I know there is a laundry room, laundry service and a laundromat around the corner, but she wasn't going to try to find out for me (turns out there's a laundromat in Gunnison, but I wouldn't find that out until the end of the day, and no thanks to the clerk).

Anyways, I go back to my room, figuring I'll wash a few essentials in the sink and deal with the rest later. Then I try to make a coffee, and discover that not only is the coffee machine held together with electrical tape, not only does it not work, but there is a used coffee packet still in it.

At this point the multiple, otherwise minor, issues have added up and I'm pretty annoyed. Figuring I'm not getting what I paid for, I decide I need to relocate. I go to the front desk to cancel the rest of my stay and am bluntly told to take it up with the people I booked with. No apology. No attempt to rectify the situation or retain my business or at least make it easy so I don't leave with an even worse impression than I already have. Just one big shrug. I ask for a manager, and I'm told she'll "try to text him." Then I'm told he's not coming in until 11 and I'll have to wait around for him, as if I have nothing better to do with my day. Then I overhear her quoting someone on the phone a rate that was considerably less than what I'd paid for the same room. I return the key despite nothing having been solved, and she finally apologizes for the inconvenience, as if that somehow makes up for the fact that she couldn't be bothered to actually do something about it before it came to this.

I'm normally an incredibly patient traveller, but this was unbelievable. The clerk not only made no attempt to solve my problem, she was incredibly rude, shrugged off my concerns, and refused to deal with me personally. When my agent called to get my money back, she claimed she had tried to help me, and justified the state of my room by saying they only had one housekeeper. It took over an hour before my agent was finally able to get management on the phone. When my agent called me back later even she commented on how unhelpful the clerk was. I'm not sure who I spoke with before I arrived, but he was incredibly pleasant, and it's a shame to think that this one clerk might be the only reason my visit went sour.

Long story short, what was supposed to be a cozy mountain getaway and a break from the road ended up being the biggest hassle of my vacation, wasted most of a day, and left me stressed out and frustrated. The worst part is that this could all have been avoided if the clerk had at least pretended to care *before* I'd decided to leave. Absolutely unacceptable service. Absolutely not recommended.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Mr_Moray
Reviewed 18 March 2017

Very nice older boutique hotel. Easy walk to the bus for skiing or into town for dinning. Would have been 5 stars if there had been a way to regulate the heat in the room other than opening the windows. Breakfast could have been better and served a little earlier.

Room Tip: Get the king room with the balcony for a comfortablee bed and a great view
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family