“Great location downtown” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 150 Hotels in Denver
Boston
“Great location downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Other than that, it was a pretty standard stay. The bar restaurant was good. I was traveling alone so had lunch and dinner there, both meals were great! The location was convenient for where I needed to be, there was a lot of space there for conferences and such. It seemed to be popular for business travelers. The room was as expected, I had an executive room and it was perfect for me.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Scored this location on priceline and was very pleased. Very attentive staff from the valet, bellman, and check in. The Hotel was very busy on Dec 31, and the hotel had enough staff to keep things moving at both check in and check out. Comfy and clean room.

Would no doubt stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed here to celebrate New Year's Eve, and many other people had the same idea. I say this because with a large number of guests, they did an outstanding job of managing their facilities, including the valet parking. The room was very comfortable, and even had a slight mountain view! Also, the breakfast buffet was very good, especially all the fresh-cut fruit and omelettes! Only negative to mention is the fact that they don't really have a lounge area...it is simply and open-area sports bar/deli combination. It would be nice for a hotel of this stature to have an area where you could quietly enjoy some music and drinks.

Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I tend to post reviews only when I’ve had an exceptionally experience, either good or bad. I’m sorry to say that this is one of my “bad” reviews, and it’s for a hotel chain that I rarely have had a problem with. My experience with Marriott is that they treat their employees well, and this transfers into their employees treating their guest warmly. A prime example of this is evident at the Normal (Illinois) Marriott. See my review of it at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g36455-d1503396-r118161167-Bloomington_Normal_Marriott_Hotel_Conference_Center-Normal_Illinois.html.

My wife and I were married at an odd time of year…December 28, so our anniversary tends to get lost between Christmas and New Year’s celebrations. We celebrate low key, by taking the half hour drive to Denver from our house to stay in a downtown hotel, have dinner, and maybe see a play. We’ve had great experiences in the past at both the Westin and the Marriott City Center. Last year at the Marriott, for example, we were put in a great corner room on a high floor, were sent a fruit place and a complementary bottle of champagne while we were out, and had great (complementary) buffet breakfasts in the morning since the concierge lounge was closed for the holidays. (I’m a Marriott Platinum member.) The staff was warm, friendly and offered the finest in hospitality.

Apparently there has been a change in management because our experience this year was entirely different. It started at check-in with a rather luke warm welcome. Although our room was supposedly an upgrade, it was on a low floor and was rather dismal…not much light, very dated look, and a tiny, tiny bathroom with dated fixtures. There was no water in the room, something I’m used to having as a Platinum guest. In the morning, there was not a newspaper at my door (sorry, but I still expect hotels to put a newspaper outside my door), and you had to ask at the front desk to get one…there were none stacked on the front desk. A local paper (i.e. the Denver Post) was not available.

As far as breakfast goes, the policy on the Marriott Web site states:

Help yourself to light snacks, beverages and complimentary continental breakfast in our Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge at participating JW Marriott Hotels, the Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels and Marriott Hotels & Resorts. If your hotel doesn’t have a Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge, we invite you to enjoy complimentary continental breakfast on your weekday stays.

Now at every other full-service Marriott hotel I’ve stayed at (including this hotel a year earlier) this policy is interpreted so that if the Concierge Lounge is closed because of low occupancy (such as on a Wednesday night between Christmas and New Year’s), the guest and his or her partner is offered the buffet breakfast (or equivalent lesser priced menu item) for free. Sometimes the offer is for the full buffet, at other properties it is for the full buffet. During our stay in 2010 we were comp’d the full buffet.
This year, however, guests received a coupon for $10 off breakfast, which was insufficient to cover the lowest price breakfast item plus coffee. The price of the full buffet was $17, for example. (I believe the continental buffet was $14.) The lowest price menu item was granola with yogurt, at $10. A cup of coffee or tea was $4.00 Orange juice and coffee was not included with non-buffet menu items. I ended up ordering a breakfast burrito (excellent, by the way) at $15. My wife had granola. I had coffee. She had tea. We did not have juice. The cost, with tip, after using two ten-dollar vouchers was around $25, which is a long way from “complimentary continental breakfast.”

During breakfast, my wife was given a pot of luke warm water. The wait staff seemed annoyed at having to replace the pot with one containing hot water. They were not at all apologetic…again, the attitude of indifference that we experienced at check-in was present in the restaurant too.

There was also confusion about he breakfast coupons. At check-in we were given two coupons, one for each night of our stay, and we were told that the wait staff would discount $10 per meal per person. However, the waitress claimed she needed a coupon per person.

Following breakfast I went to the front desk to discuss the coupon situation (and the lack of a fully-funded continental breakfast) with the manager on duty. Again, instead of being accommodating and genuinely apologetic, the manager preferred to cite policy to me, stating that the partial breakfast voucher was in policy, and in fact the hotel wasn’t even required to offer that. I didn’t argue with him except to state that in my literally hundreds of nights at Marriott (and Hilton and Starwood, for that matter) properties, including this very same property a year ago, as a Platinum guest I had always been given free breakfast at times when a concierge lounge should be open (i.e. during the week) and often times on the weekend when a hotel goes beyond corporate policy.

In the end, we cancelled the remainder of our reservation and moved to the Westin a couple of blocks away.

Perhaps it was just an off day for this hotel. We had such a positive experience last year, though, that my guess is that there has been a management change, and that the employees at the hotel are not treated well…so guest treatment suffers, too.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JimInBoulderCO
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

The hotel is accessible to the train, free bus rides along 16th Street Mall, close to Sports Authority Field, Pepsi Arena and Coors Field as well as the Convention Center and other attractions. Staff are friendly and helpful. Our room was very clean. The rate was fantastic. I guess they have this December promotion booking the hotel for only $52.80 (no breakfast or parking included of course) but still worth it for the awesome rate. There is valet or an open overnight parking for only $5.00 and a lot of places that served breakfast. We also love the noon checkout since most hotels checkout time is 11. Has a good size indoor swimming pool which is great when you have kids or when it's the cold seasons.

Room Tip: The rooms are quiet and I don't think it matters which side. Our two-queen bed room was comforta...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

This hotel is a great spot to stay. There is a Grill as well as a Starbucks in the lobby. The room are very clean and well put together. The Standard king room are ok, but we had the Executive king which is a bit larger. The plush comforters are very comfy. The hotel is smoke free which me and my companion love. The only complaint that we would have is the 13 dollar internet charge... Other then that, the staff was great and the hotel was in a perfect location. We will be back on our next trip.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

I've stayed here several times, but most recently last Spring, and really love the location and convenience, along with the great rooms, and the style of the hotel. It's really modern and contemporary, but also traditional and classy. It's a large place, so it's hard to get to know the staff really well. All in all, I'd say the staff was excellent, though, just not as personal as a smaller place would be. The atmosphere made it seem like a home away from home, and it was really nice to have a comfortable base especially in the "big city" Transportation was a major bonus, as valet parking was easy, and taxis and even local buses were available right outside. Not to mention my favorite form of tansportation, walking. Many great shops and restaurants were right around the corner. We never really got tired of the "strip." and enjoyed using public transportation, and even a bicycle rikshaw to get over to the art museum. While right downtown, this location felt really safe, and I never felt at all uncomfortable.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends