“Simply the best.”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We just returned from stay #4 at the Brown Palace and I've come to the realization that this is my favorite hotel...ever. I've tried to figure out what makes it so amazing and realized that it's really the sum of its parts. Quite simply, the hotel is simple, not ostentatious, perfection. It's the small things that make the Brown so special--the bellman who gave us an impromptu history lesson of the Brown, a single fresh flower in the bathroom, a Keurig coffee machine in the rooms, fluffy pillows on the bed, a stretch out and relax cigar bar, cocktails in the atrium...I could go on and on and on.

I'm a rabid fan of all things art deco so we've only stayed on floors 8 and 9--the art deco-themed rooms (floors 2-7 are Victorian). How can you not love a hotel room that comes with a silver water pitcher sitting on a silver tray? This plus the fact that the hotel's water comes straight from its own well makes me a happy customer. I'll add that I'm a stickler for hotel cleanliness and have never had any issues with rooms at the Brown. In fact, I've even taken baths in the wonderful, deep tubs (separate from the shower)--usually I'm a showers-only girl at hotels.

This trip we introduced our (adult) children to the joys of Churchill's, the Brown's cigar bar. A cigar and a glass of scotch (champagne for the ladies) was the perfect way to end the evening. Years ago, when my daughter was young, we enjoyed afternoon tea in the hotel's atrium--a treat every mother/daughter should experience at least once.

Pricewise, this trip we spent $245 on a 2 queen room on floor 9 with AAA. Not bad at all for a holiday week in downtown Denver. We will return to the Brown Palace as often as possible--I love this place!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

We are happy to know how special The Brown Palace has become to you and your family throughout the years! From mother and daughter Afternoon Tea to fine scotch and cigars at Churchill's Bar now that your children have grown.

It is an honor to be your favorite hotel and we are delighted to read that we continue to exceed your expectations. We look forward to providing you and your family with many more memorable experiences for years to come!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed for one night in September and had a great time! They have special offers for Colorado natives, but you need to sign up for the offers before you can make the reservation.

The building is a true Denver landmark and the location is perfect. The price was a bit prohibitive to enjoy more than once in a while, but great for a special night out.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank praha83
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

We are most grateful for your patronage and appreciate your willingness to share the details of your stay.

We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Denver's landmark hotel in the near future!

Reviewed 25 December 2011

I planned a Christmas get away for myself over the weekend. It was just the right mix of great service and nice ambiance. My room was on the end and had the curved windows plus far away from the core with the music playing. It reminded me of being on the Queen Mary, elegant and not stuffy. I loved the soft music playing as I opened my door to the room for the first time. Plus there was a nice yet subtle pleasant fragrance to the room.

The Christmas eve experience in the Atrium was great..the music, cocktails and appetizers just perfect...

I will be back ......

Room Tip: ask for a room away from core if you don't like music or noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Kansastravler39011
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

We are extremely pleased to know you had a memorable Christmas holiday experience at The Brown. We truly embrace this special time of the year with our festively decorated Atrium accompanied by live music playing holiday favorites.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 17 December 2011

Honestly, I do not understand why the Brown Palace gets such raving reviews. I've stayed there three times now and each time it has been average to down right terrible. What am I missing that everyone else raves about?

I will say the hotel is so rich in history and has great stories to tell. The intricacies of the decor is truly beautiful and transports you to another time. The lobby/atrium bar is a great place to soak in the atmosphere...especially during the holidays. Gorgeous!

Now, if you want to stay at the Brown Palace...that is another story. The Brown Palace has a reputation for luxury, class and comfort - and you pay for that. So, when reading below, I suppose I should qualify my statements by saying I expect A LOT from a hotel whose tag line is "The Elite Choice.." and whose prices reflect that.

We were there for two nights. The first night, the bed was so extremely uncomfortable (lumpy, yet hard, no pillow top or mattress pad) we switched rooms for the second night.

The second room had a much more comfortable bed, but our much needed good night's sleep was interrupted at 6:30am by LOUD banging -- pipes? Construction? Radiator? Who knows what it was...it continued for about 20 minutes. Even if there were no loud banging noises at that ungodly morning hour, I still don't think I could have slept in due to the housekeeping staff knocking on doors down the hall, or the neighbor's TV. The walls and doors are paper thin. And I'm not a light sleeper...really!

Second major problem -- no hot water. Personally, I like hot showers in the morning...and after waking up WAY too early due to crazy banging noises I was looking forward to a hot shower. Nope....luke warm was the best I got.

Again, I expect a lot from a high-rated, high-priced hotel, so here are a few little things that I felt were unacceptable (as they say, "the devil is in the details"):
* No shampoo...there was conditioner, but no shampoo.
* No "Do Not Disturb" sign to hang on door. Other rooms had them, so I know they exist!
* The cool Kuerig coffee maker wasn't plugged in. I had to crawl on floor to find a working outlet after discovering two outlets didn't work at all. Please, don't make me work for my morning coffee....that's just cruel!
* There were small holes in the sheets
* The towels were not plush, and they didn't match (I know, that's kinda petty. But seriously...it's all in the details!)

I'm not a complainer (really, you can read my previous reviews!), I just know what makes for good service and a good hotel stay. And the bottom line here is that I have had much better hotel stays and been in more comfortable hotel rooms for half the price. Lesson here: You don't always get what you pay for!

Sorry, Brown Palace...I thought the third time would be the charm. Sadly, I don't think we'll be back.

Room Tip: Apparently rooms on the west side (Broadway) experience loud pipe banging noises throughout the nigh...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank denverfour
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Although we are glad to know you appreciate the decor, ambience and rich history of The Brown Palace, it was quite disappointing to learn that your overall stay fell short of your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the overisghts and service deficiencies you encountered during your stay, which added up to a less than perfect experience. Your critique is greatly appreciated as it will provide us with a direction to take the necessary corrective actions to avoid any similar occurrence in the future.

I understand you had indicated that you are not inclined to return due to your recent experience, however, we will remain hopeful that you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with the stay that you were anticipating and rightfully deserve. Please do not hesitate to contact Ryan Pratt, Front Office Manager, if we may be of any assistance.

Reviewed 12 December 2011

The Brown Palace is absolutley amazing. From the location to the chocolates on your pillow at night with soft relaxing music playing - This is as good as it gets!! I loved being able to walk anywhere I wanted to go and the variety of things to do. This has got to be my favorite place to stay anywhere. I can't wait to go back again! The Brown Palace is my new favorite getaway!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ChristinaK1993
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

We are very happy to know that The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa has become your favorite getaway destination from our convenient location downtown to the pampering service.

And likewise, we cannot wait to welcome you back either!

Reviewed 6 December 2011

From the moment we walked into this hotel a year ago I knew I wanted to stay there so when I planned a surprise ten year anniversary getaway for myself and my husband I knew where we were going to stay. I became a preferred customer as I am a colorado resident on the advice of my reservationist. This gave me a discount on accomadation, valet, dining and spa, two complimentary drinks and an automatic upgrade if the rooms are available. When we arrived we were greeted with warmth and professionalism. When we were offered the upgrade I asked to see it as I knew our corner suite was beautiful. We were told no problem and were brougt up to see the upgrade and although it was lovely we decided to stay put. When we entered our room there was a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and a personalized note from the concierge thanking us for spending our anniversary with the brown palace. That night we enjoyed some drinks in the atrium bar before heading out for dinner. Its such a lovely relaxed atmosphere there, comfortable couches with the piano playing. We could have stayed there all night. We requested the complimentary car service to take us to our restaurant and they also picked us up. Makes life so much easier. That night there was an issue with our radiator which was making a really funky noise. The hotel ended up shutting it down. The next morning after my hubby used their gym (very well equipped) we headed down to the reception where we explained to Amanda what had happened and asked could we have the same room but on a different floor. She said absolutely. She asked us to get our luggage ready and they would take it up. Half an hour later we received a call from Amanda saying she thought we would enjoy a top of the brown suite better and there would definately be no radiator noise there. When we arrived back at the hotel we were thrilled with our room. So lovely. That night we had some more drinks in the atrium and then headed out to dinner and a show. When we returned we decided to check out Churchill's Bar. Our bartender, Joshua, was so great and we ended up chatting for quite some time. He really looked after us making sure our drinks were how we wanted them. Another lady working there was Shelle and she was so much fun. We left smiling. The beds and pillows are so comfortable and we slept well. The next morning we were sad to leave but we want to make it an annual event. It really is a beautiful hotel and the staff that work there are proud of their establishment and it shows. Thank you Brown Palace for making our anniversary a very memorable one!!

Room Tip: The corner rooms are so beautiful and big. Lots of lovely light. The top of the Brown suites are l...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank etaointb
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

We are truly honored you have chosen The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa as the location to surprise your husband and celebrate your 10 year anniversary together!

It is such a delight to receive your warm and generous comments regarding the service you received from Amanda at the Front Desk and Shelle and Joshua at Churchill's Bar. They will be very pleased to know that their warm and professional service helped to ensure your celebration with us was truly memorable.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you both back to celebrate your special day once again, or for any other occasion for that matter!

Reviewed 5 December 2011

I have lived in Colorado for 20 years, but never stayed at the Brown. What was I waiting for??!!

My husband and I booked a "Luxurious Love" package for the weekend. The price included 2 evening cocktails each night of our stay, complimentary valet, and breakfast at Ellyngtons or room service, plus rose petal turn down. We loved every minute of our weekend.

From our check-in on friday night, the front desk clerk (Kyle) was very friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome. We had selected a Top of the Brown king room, and the room was enormous - # 916. Huge, with a sitting area, desk, king bed, etc, we loved it. THe room was actually in one of the corners of the hotel, so that may have been why it was so spacious. The bathroom was bigger than my bedroom at home!

We each had a cocktail in the atrium lobby that evening, and seating was at a premium as afternoon tea guests were lingering after 5pm. The waitress was extremely pleasant, and we loved sitting there listening to the live jazz combo playing in the lobby. Fun.
Because we wanted to go to the Parade of Lights at 8pm, we had made dinner reservations for 6pm in the Ships Tavern. Good thing we had, because they were pretty full - I think lots of people were going to the parade. Tip - they serve HUGE portions at the Ships Tavern. Very nice dinner!

We placed our room service order on our door when we went to bed, and it was delivered promptly on time in the morning. Great portions, great fun to eat in our pj's.

The next day was spent shopping/seeing the sights downtown, and ended with another wonderful cocktail in the lobby. The Parade of Lights on Saturday started at 6pm, so lots of people/families left for the parade at that time. The piano player was fantastic. I don't know his name, but we spent several hours hanging out in the lobby listening to his music, and when the kids/families returned from the parade he had them all singing Christmas carols around the piano for nearly an hour. What an enjoyable evening!

Our room service breakfast the next day arrive on time again, but they forgot my toast. A phone call by me, and within a few minutes it arrived with a sincere apology. Very prompt, as I can't eat eggs without toast, I appreciated their quickness.

We had an absolutely LOVELY stay at the Brown. Our daughter got married at the Brown back in Sept -and the girls "get ready" room was a large suite. So the two types of rooms I've seen have been fantastic.

I'm ready to go back!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tabcolorado
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

We are very appreciative of your taking the time to share your recent experience and we're delighted to know you had a truly magical weekend at The Brown Palace.

Our Luxurious Love package is the best way to experience The Brown with the one you love in ultimate romantic bliss. I am very pleased to hear that you were received warmly upon arrival by Kyle and that you enjoyed the piano playing of John Kite with an impromptu accompaniment of little voices singing holiday favorites. It will give me great pleasure to share your kind words with both of them.

I'm also glad to know you were able to take in the Parade of Lights with our prime location along the parade route. Many of our guests return to make this an annual tradition.

We hope we will see you both again very soon!