All reviews the cottages the main house cortland cottage individual cabins repeat guests happy hour our honeymoon durango area every morning breakfast was delicious three night stay beautiful property a wonderful stay hot tub mesa verde kathi kathy
Reviewed September 25, 2018 via mobile

The apple orchard Inn is an amazing bed and breakfast. The prices for the room or the Cottages are very comparable to the hotels or motels in Durango which are on Main Street. The apple orchard in is away from the city not too far away right down the street but in a most Serene and beautiful place surrounded by mountains. the apple orchard in is also right off of the million dollar highway so if you're planning on taking a trip to Durango and driving on the million dollar highway I highly recommend staying at the apple orchard in. they have rooms in the main house or the end and they also have Cottages that are available it is placed on a beautiful apple orchard. the best part of our stay was the breakfast in bed that they offer now we got to stay in bed a little longer and enjoy our rest before we went out to Mesa Verde. Kathi is a very gracious host and was very warm and welcoming when we first arrived. Every morning Kathy prepared us a homemade meal which was very delicious and made with a lot of love. if you're coming out to Durango I highly recommend you checking out the apple orchard in it is a great place to come to to stay at before enjoying the beautiful sights of Durango another beautiful sight to see while you're here.
Thank you Kathi we had a wonderful stay and will be back!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2018 via mobile

We had the pleasure of staying here for two nights in mid-July. It was a last minute impulsive decision that was made more difficult to confirm heading into Durango from Four Corners because of spotty phone service (not unexpected in the mountains). The innkeeper, Kathi, couldn’t have been more accommodating especially considering our late arrival after 8pm. She was most helpful recommending a restaurant in Durango, El Moro, which was fantastic. The cottages are cozy and romantic. Very peaceful about 10 miles north of Durango. We’re late sleepers so we didn’t take advantage of breakfast unfortunately. I’m sure it would have been wonderful. I’ve read one of the negative reviews about breakfast time. July I’m betting was a very slow time due to the fires which caused no problem for us by the time of our visit. And remember this is a small inn not a Hampton. At times you may have the place virtually to yourselves. I’m relatively sure you could let Kathi know if there’s an issue with time and within reason she would accommodate you. Otherwise there’s the nearby Hermosa Grill and many more places 10 minutes away in Durango. Truly a break from the ordinary in a gorgeous location. Charming. Looking forward to a return visit one day.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2018

When I called to make the reservation for 3 nights to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary at the Apple Orchard Inn in a "romantic cottage," I should have listened to my gut. Kathi (with an "i") was abrupt on the phone when I asked her a few questions, including what time breakfast is served. "Oh, the times are seasonal," she said vaguely, with a chuckle. "What does that mean?" I asked. "Could be 7:30. Could be 8:00," she oddly stated. "Is that 8:00 to 9:30?" I pressed her, trying to get an understanding of timing. "Oh, no!" she exclaimed, "I'm outta here by 9:00!" As I said, I should have listened to my gut.

We made the reservation and arrived at 4:25pm, during the check-in time which was between 4pm and 6pm. Due to the fires surrounding Durango, there was only one other couple staying in the cottages. The entire check-in experience was awkward and just plain odd. The other couple was hanging around the porch waiting for Kathi to check them in and after a few minutes my husband asked where she was. "She has to attend to her grandchildren," they told him. "Huh?", I thought. Here she has paying guests waiting within the timeframe she dictated and we're just standing around. It certainly didn't make myself or my husband feel welcome.

When Kathi finally arrived back at the main house, she never acknowledged us. She led the other couple into the main house and began to explain about breakfast being served at 8am, how "wine and treats" would be served "soon" and then led them to their cottage.

When she finally arrived back at the main house to greet us, she was congenial but very doctoral in the way she spoke. Frankly, she reminded me of someone who served in the Army and had little to no interpersonal experience with the public. She repeated to us that breakfast was at 8am and then led us to our cottage. Our cottage had been remodeled recently and was very clean. She "instructed" us to keep the windows CLOSED when we left during the day, due to the smoke from the fire, and then proceeded to basically tell us when we were "allowed" to open them. I totally get that she was trying to limit the smoke smell in the rooms but honestly, that train already left the station. The room smelled of smoke from the moment we arrived and sitting inside a stuffy cottage in the afternoons was not going to happen.

We had a bad night of sleep due to the feather bed mattress which was not comfortable at all. Lumpy in places and when a feather poked through, it bit your skin quickly. We awoke the next morning at 7:30am, which was our 15th wedding anniversary, and proceeded to shower and dress for breakfast. Due to some bad lighting in the bathroom, I had a hard time getting my contact lens in, which delayed us. We arrived at the main house in the kitchen and found Kathi in her apron, standing at the stove canning fruit. She welcomed us with a *VERY* cold greeting. The other couple was nowhere to be found which we found strange, given that this is a bed AND breakfast.

She then said, "You know, I told you that breakfast is served at 8am?" She then pointed to the digital clock on the stove and stated, "And as you can see, it's 8:17." We stood there in stunned silence. My husband said something about there being a "window" of time (8 to 8:30) but she outright REFUSED TO SERVE US BREAKFAST. In one second we went from paying guests to naughty children who didn't obey her exacting "8am!" time. There was NO coffee. NO tea. NO hot water. The only thing I saw was a small dish of Halloween candy and room temperature water in a glass container. She never offered us an alternative place to eat. I have stayed in literally dozens of B&Bs and have NEVER been treated like this before. We walked back to our cottage in stunned silence. Nice way to start your anniversary, right?

We searched online and found The Hermosa Grill which was less than 1/2 mile away and that's where we ate breakfast every morning during our stay. (THANK YOU Hermosa Grill!) But that first morning set the tone for the rest of our stay. It was as if Kathi is more than happy to take your money ($200.00 per night) but couldn't care less to lift a finger for any guest. Honestly, with the Durango fire creating such chaos in the area, you would think that Kathi would bend over backward to be helpful but no. During our 3-day stay, there were only two other couples and they stayed in the main house. And this was during the height of the summer travel season!

The other thing that happened on the first day was getting a visit on our front porch from a woman spraying bug killer all around our porch and windows! Thank God the windows were closed. The stagnant pond on the property was layered with muck and must attract mosquitos but there's something about being subjected to this that really pissed me off. At that point, I truly felt trapped in the cottage until the bug killer fumes abated and we could walk out the door without getting a headache.

Frankly, I wanted to leave the second day but we'd already paid for the full 3 days. We usually find the Inn Keeper when we leave to thank them and say goodbye, but not this time. The last thing I wanted to do was engage Kathi after the way she treated us.

The grounds were very well taken care of and there was always a maintenance guy working the area during our stay. I've read in other reviews that the cottages are rundown. One other cottage across from ours was in the process of being remodeled and when I peeked in the window, it looked like a nice job. So I'll give Kathi that much. But we will never return to the Apple Orchard Inn and we certainly will not recommend it. Too bad. There is tremendous potential in this property. With some modern upgrades to the cottages and someone who is FRIENDLY and delivers a great breakfast WITHIN a set timeframe, the place could become incredibly popular. But reading some of the 1 and 2 star reviews now, it seems that Kathi has been acting like this since she took the place over from John and Celeste in 2008.

The only reason I'm giving this review two stars is because our cottage was clean and well appointed and the grounds are well kept. Other than that, find someplace else to rest your head.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank oldwomanmountain
Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

Had planned on staying 2 nights but due to heavy smoke in Durango area, we were feeling badly and borderline asthmatic. We asked the innkeeper, Kathi, for a refund for the 2nd night but she refused. We understand she has no control over the fires in the mountains above Durango but we could not physically stay due to health issues related to the smoke. We will not be back.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Nancyva123
Reviewed June 21, 2018 via mobile

The Apple Orchard Inn has 6 private cottages and rooms in the main house. The feather bed was really comfortable. There is no living room area and a small couch off to the side of the bed. There is a porch swing and rocking chairs for each cottage and table and chairs on the back patio. There is a small stream that runs in front of each cottage and the sound of a running brook is very relaxing . The beautiful grounds is lush with rose bushes, grass and foliage. Kathi is a great host and makes a wonderful breakfast. This is a hidden bed and breakfast gem.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple