“My first B&B experience was a good one!”

The Leland House and Rochester Hotel
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Encinitas, CA
“My first B&B experience was a good one!”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Our friends in Durango actually surprised us with a 2-night stay at the Rochester-really sweet! It's a quaint Bed and Breakfast 2 blocks away from the main downtown street of Durango (definitely walking distance). What a neat way to get to know Durango history a little better! Although the building is old (built around 1892 I think), the rooms are fairly modern in regards to amenities, but the decor style is old western with a flair of Hollywood! (I think this hotel was a star in some movies.) There are movie posters decorating the rooms and hallways.

The Leland Hotel across the street is owned by the same mom and son team, and from speaking with other guests, Leland accommodates larger parties and has suites. Regardless of where you stay (Leland or Rochester), you eat breakfast at the Rochester.

A few of my favorite things:
Service-- everyone was nice, and the ladies making and serving breakfast in the morning were really sweet and friendly.
Breakfast-- we loved the smell of breakfast in the making wafting up to our rooms early in the morning; although I can see how this could be nauseating to others. They serve warm meals (a different one each day of the week), as well as various muffins/pastries, coffee, juice, yogurt, and homemade granola (made fresh every morning). I'm typically not a granola and yogurt gal, but this was delicious! The granola was yummy and not super hard, like store-bought granola.
Location-- walking distance to downtown. Also, we didn't go snowboarding on this trip, but it's about 30 minutes or so from the ski resort; we saw a few ppl come downstairs in their snow pants, ready to hit the slopes.
Amenities-- we didn't use them but they offer free wi-fi, computer and printer use (I believe-check with the hotel), and the use of bicycle cruisers free to guests! Also, they had Aveda shampoo/conditoner and body soap dispensers in the showers so you don't have to use up your free little travel gifts they leave you!

A few of my NOT SO favorite things:
Bed and cleanliness-- the bed was lumpy and my husband and I had a difficult time going to sleep the first night. Also, when I first pulled back my top covers, I noticed a black smudge on my fitted sheet by my pillow. I wiped at it with my hand, hoping it was just a stain on the sheet, but was able to wipe dirt (or whatever) off of it.. Yuck.. that kind of grossed me out a little and gave me that Ick factor.
Parking-- they tout "free parking" but don't mention that it's behind the hotel in the back alley, and that it's limited. We often had to park about 2 blks away on a residential street to get free parking, which is a hassle in the winter w/ snow.
A little noisy-- Not sure if it was the heater, pipes, or snow melting and drip-dripping outside our window.. but it got a bit noisy when trying to fall asleep. We could also hear the tv next door very, very faintly.

Overall, it was a great experience and we'd definitely recommend staying here to someone else, just to complete their Durango experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in rm 207 at the Rochester; which is on the second floor at the end of the hall; so you...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CLaw_9
komick, Manager at The Leland House and Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you very much for your visit.
We appreciate your feedback and always strive to maintain and improve our accommodations and the experience for our guests. We would love to have your friends join for breakfast upon your return visit.
Thank you again very much.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Idaho
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We have stayed at the Rochester Hotel and Leland House six times in the last two years and like to think of it as a second home - the rooms are so comfy, the food outstanding, the service kind and impeccable, the location the best - overall, this hotel provides a 5 star experience and is worth a trip to Durango! The rooms in the Leland House, across the street from The Rochester Hotel, have kitchens, living rooms and fireplaces - the perfect place to stay a bit longer and explore the San Juan Mountains or Mesa Verde. The breakfast is included in the room price and changes every day, everything is made fresh and from scratch in the kitchen and they even have special toast for people with gluten intolerance! Also, there is a brand new bar - a great place to meet other guests and have a little cocktail before heading into town, which is just two blocks away. Overall, the Rochester Hotel & Leland House is a total gem and highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Leland House have kitchens, living rooms and fireplaces.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Mesa, AZ
Reviewed 5 January 2012

In August we stayed at the Leland House which is the B&B part of the Rochester Hotel. We have stayed at both numerous parts of this establishment many times before and have always had a 5 star, stellar experience. The rooms are spotless, the staff is always friendly and helpful, and the morning breakfast (served for both establishments at the Hotel) are always creative, superb quality, and filling. We make the trip through Durango, CO at least twice a year and always stay at the Rochester or the Leland House. We travel quite a bit and have stayed at numerous B&Bs over the USA so we have a large database of experience. In our estimation, this is without a doubt one of the very finest at which we have stayed and well worth the price, which by the way is very competitive for the area. Another bonus is that because of its location you can park the car at the hotel and easily walk to any of the superb dining establishments, the train, or other sights in town. That is a particuarly nice feature if you plan to have a few drinks with dinner.

Room Tip: The King room next to the dining area in the hotel is wonderful and suprisingly quiet even with morn...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Olten, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 December 2011

My husband, my teenage son and I chose this hotel for our one night stay in Durango and weren’t disappointed. The Rochester is a place with quite a long history and this can still be seen although it’s contemporarily equipped. We had a King Suite with a sleeper sofa for our son and considered it as adequate. The hotel is conveniently located in the centre of Durango on a road that wasn’t too noisy. On our arrival, there was nobody to welcome us; there was also no indication where to address when checking-in. Finally it came to my mind that the Leland House on the opposite side of the road belongs to the Rochester and we went there for help which we found but we already were quite unnerved … But that was the only negative point. Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay and appreciated the homemade cookies in the afternoon and the superb breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
el prado
Reviewed 8 December 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Rochester Hotel. Nice and old-timey feeling and very clean and cleverly decorated. It's easy to walk to anywhere and the walk is a nice one. Our room was one of the cheapest they offer and I thought it was very nice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sniraga
komick, Manager at The Leland House and Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2011
Thank you for your visit and for your kind words. We look forward to your return visit to Durango.
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stayed at the Rochester in mid November with our dog and absolutely loved it. We travel a lot, in the US and abroad, and the Rochester is noteworthy for it's service, charm, and location.

The personalized help we received from the owner Kirk went above and beyond. The design and furnishings are really charming and unique, exactly what I look for in a smaller boutique accommodation. Location is perfect, right in the heart of downtown for easy walking to all the great shops and restaurants, but one block off the main street giving it a quieter atmosphere and a good night sleep. Finally, if you are all about the food (like I am) during the day and evening there were three different kinds of (really good!) cookies to choose from as well as tea and a homemade cocoa. The breakfast the following morning was a divine french toast made to order with raspberries, plus a nice assortment of scones, muffins and quick breads.

Yep, I'm gushing, it was wonderful. Really glad we stumbled on this place on a dog friendly website. If you're not into corporate cookie cutter, the Rochester is a great choice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham
Reviewed 8 November 2011

This is a real quirky hotel / B&B. We loved the room and all of the western movie posters throughout the hotel. The free bikes were a nice touch if you wanted to 'roam'. The hotel is walkable to everything...nice restaurants, micro breweries and of course the railway. (We loved that despite the landslide) Breakfast is busy, but no problems. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. I forgot half my clothes???!!! (don't ask), but they posted them on to catch up with us 2 weeks later... fantastic. Silverton is definately worth a trip.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends