The Rochester Hotel and Leland House
US$167
Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$177
US$160
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$152
ComfortInn
US$161
HolidayInn.com
Hampton Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$208
US$189
Hampton.com
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$132
BestWestern.com
General Palmer Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$200
Hotels.com
Strater Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$197
US$229
Siesta Motel(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$98
Hotels.com
All reviewscookiesmovie postersthe secret gardenin towngranolawestern movieaveda productsfree bikesblock from main streetquiet streetsister propertylots of historybreakfast was deliciousfresh fruitcharming hotelevery afternoonwalking distance
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I took my first trip to Durango to attend their film festival and one of the hotels on the list was the Rochester Hotel. After a LOT of hemming and hawing about which place might be able to 'deal with' me & my food issues, I finally settled on the Rochester Hotel. I cannot eat anything with wheat/gluten or dairy... oh, and I'm a vegetarian to boot! So I go in knowing I'm not easy & bring my necessities with me... gluten-free bread, rice milk, etc.

As it turns out, they HAD rice bread there, ready for me. After the initial discussion, every morning Caroline or Kelly saw me, they would say: "Tomorrow we're having french toast. We could do xyz to them to make them fit your needs. Would that work?" And they always made it work. So to start off, my main concern was addressed so wonderfully that I automatically loved this place. At one point I asked Caroline & Kelly if they owned the place (because it REALLY seemed like they did). Nope. They didn't. I was told the gentleman who was constantly milling around the breakfast area owned the hotel with his mother. When I eventually started chatting with this lovely woman named Diane, I learned that she was 'the mother.' She told me about all the love she put into renovating the hotel and (now here's the real review)... I thought the hotel had great character, and was clean & comfortable. The room I stayed in was quite large as well.

My experience here required this long a review. The hotel, in & of itself, was wonderful. Breakfast was AMAZING. And the reception people (who always smiled & said hello when you walked by) were extremely helpful (thanks especially to Chris!).

If I get back to Durango, this is the only place I'll want to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
komick, Manager at The Rochester Hotel and Leland House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for your visit to Durango and for staying with us at the Leland House and Rochester Hotel. We look forward to your return visits. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance from Durango.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

This hotel is full of old world charm. What a wonderful night at the Rochester. Close to downtown Durango and an amazing resteraunt across the street. Our room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was amazing even offering gluten free bread. The staff is friendly and inviting. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 March 2012

All of the staff, but particularly the breakfast staff, was friendly, helpful and attentive. The food was excellent (a different hot entree every day), as well as fresh fruit , pastries, granola and cereal. The pancakes were the best I've ever had. The intimate bar is a great place to visit with friends. Location is one block from downtown, and there are good restaurants right across the street. Wifi reception was excellent. We will definitely stay at the Rochester on our next trip to Durango.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main part of the building were much more appealing. Our room on the courtyard was quiet in February, but might be a bit noisy in the summer.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Our friends in Durango actually surprised us with a 2-night stay at the Rochester-really sweet! It's a quaint Bed and Breakfast 2 blocks away from the main downtown street of Durango (definitely walking distance). What a neat way to get to know Durango history a little better! Although the building is old (built around 1892 I think), the rooms are fairly modern in regards to amenities, but the decor style is old western with a flair of Hollywood! (I think this hotel was a star in some movies.) There are movie posters decorating the rooms and hallways.

The Leland Hotel across the street is owned by the same mom and son team, and from speaking with other guests, Leland accommodates larger parties and has suites. Regardless of where you stay (Leland or Rochester), you eat breakfast at the Rochester.

A few of my favorite things:
Service-- everyone was nice, and the ladies making and serving breakfast in the morning were really sweet and friendly.
Breakfast-- we loved the smell of breakfast in the making wafting up to our rooms early in the morning; although I can see how this could be nauseating to others. They serve warm meals (a different one each day of the week), as well as various muffins/pastries, coffee, juice, yogurt, and homemade granola (made fresh every morning). I'm typically not a granola and yogurt gal, but this was delicious! The granola was yummy and not super hard, like store-bought granola.
Location-- walking distance to downtown. Also, we didn't go snowboarding on this trip, but it's about 30 minutes or so from the ski resort; we saw a few ppl come downstairs in their snow pants, ready to hit the slopes.
Amenities-- we didn't use them but they offer free wi-fi, computer and printer use (I believe-check with the hotel), and the use of bicycle cruisers free to guests! Also, they had Aveda shampoo/conditoner and body soap dispensers in the showers so you don't have to use up your free little travel gifts they leave you!

A few of my NOT SO favorite things:
Bed and cleanliness-- the bed was lumpy and my husband and I had a difficult time going to sleep the first night. Also, when I first pulled back my top covers, I noticed a black smudge on my fitted sheet by my pillow. I wiped at it with my hand, hoping it was just a stain on the sheet, but was able to wipe dirt (or whatever) off of it.. Yuck.. that kind of grossed me out a little and gave me that Ick factor.
Parking-- they tout "free parking" but don't mention that it's behind the hotel in the back alley, and that it's limited. We often had to park about 2 blks away on a residential street to get free parking, which is a hassle in the winter w/ snow.
A little noisy-- Not sure if it was the heater, pipes, or snow melting and drip-dripping outside our window.. but it got a bit noisy when trying to fall asleep. We could also hear the tv next door very, very faintly.

Overall, it was a great experience and we'd definitely recommend staying here to someone else, just to complete their Durango experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in rm 207 at the Rochester; which is on the second floor at the end of the hall; so you're only sharing 1 wall with another room. The other side wall is against a storage room/office. 2 steps from your door is the room with ice machine and "business center" (a desk with computer and printer).
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CLaw_9
komick, Manager at The Rochester Hotel and Leland House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Thank you very much for your visit.
We appreciate your feedback and always strive to maintain and improve our accommodations and the experience for our guests. We would love to have your friends join for breakfast upon your return visit.
Thank you again very much.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

We have stayed at the Rochester Hotel and Leland House six times in the last two years and like to think of it as a second home - the rooms are so comfy, the food outstanding, the service kind and impeccable, the location the best - overall, this hotel provides a 5 star experience and is worth a trip to Durango! The rooms in the Leland House, across the street from The Rochester Hotel, have kitchens, living rooms and fireplaces - the perfect place to stay a bit longer and explore the San Juan Mountains or Mesa Verde. The breakfast is included in the room price and changes every day, everything is made fresh and from scratch in the kitchen and they even have special toast for people with gluten intolerance! Also, there is a brand new bar - a great place to meet other guests and have a little cocktail before heading into town, which is just two blocks away. Overall, the Rochester Hotel & Leland House is a total gem and highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Leland House have kitchens, living rooms and fireplaces.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family