New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Fairplay
San Antonio, Texas
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Outstanding, educational, and fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

We were staying outside of Fairplay at a friend's cabin, and we were able to visit this museum right near the end of the season before it close for winter. My seven-year old boy and four-year old girl loved it! They especially had fun in the caboose of the train, and in the school house. I really enjoyed the mine and the house that had the old furnishings and decorations and toys in it.

If you will be up in the area, it is worth your time to visit this outstanding attraction. Highly recommended for everyone, even folks not traveling with kids. There is an entrance fee but it is not very much.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Xphilosopherking

Huntington Beach, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Must see, if you enjoy history.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We found this place by accident and ended up spending hours here. A collection of historical buildings have been grouped together and each individual one houses a collection of related items.
I found the drugstore to be particularly interesting, with all the old remedies, the soda fountain etc.
It's an outdoor museum where you take a self guided tour around the numbered buildings. You could easily spend a whole day here. There are clean restrooms available. No catering, but there are places where you can sit down to eat your own snacks.
We paid $7 per adult to enter, with AAA discount. It was well worth it. Parking is convenient and free.
There are lots of restaurants in town.

1 Thank SilverPenguin
Tennessee
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 440 helpful votes
“So glad we did not miss this.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I did not expect this to be as good as it was. All my life I have seen old buildings here and there but a whole town from the West is something else. Not only that the buildings are in excellent condition. First, the drive in right before Fairplay is gorgeous. It is the same leaving. These people who currently live here and those who came before have/had an AWESOME mountain range view.

Ok, we pulled in and bought 2 tickets. They offer a senior discount and the total for both of us was $14. You can use a credit card. I expected it to be about 30 minutes but we were there well over an hour and that was sort of rushing. One woman there had stated she had been there hours and was going to come back that day and go through again she liked it so well. There are 42 buildings to view. Mom also really enjoyed it more than she expected she would. It got a little eerie for me as the name of the town doctor and dentist both had the same names as my doctor and dentist growing up.

There is a map online and shows all the buildings available to view. We came from Aspen on our way to Denver and decided to make this detour and it was worth every bit and then some. If you have any interest in the old west, this is a MUST.
I did not know this, but if you know the TV show South Park, the name is apparently based on this town.

This is an excerpt from wiki:
“The boys live in the fictional small town of South Park, located within the real life South Park basin in the Rocky Mountains of central Colorado.”

1 Thank HazelEyesFromTN
Baltimore
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“One of the best attractions in Colorado.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

For someone from the east this was a very educational and enjoyable attraction.Basically the vision of one man.It is a monument to Colorado.Take your time and and really see this place.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Surrfred
Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow, what a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stopped in Fairplay to stretch our legs while doing some high mountain fall scenery viewing. Happened to see the South Park City Museum sign and decided it would be a good hour long diversion. Wow, I couldn't be more impressed. We ended up staying over 2 hours. And it's probably one of the few times I walked out of a Colorado ghost town museum and really had a feel for what it would have been like living back in the late 1800's. The 41 buildings included authentic furnishings, clothing, hardware, weapons, etc. The drug store had an authentic soda fountain and displays with medicines sold back in the late 1800's. Check out the dentist office with the torture tools they used to do dentistry back in those times. Funny thing, they look really familiar! Likewise with the doctor's office! I especially liked the general store and the mine. The blacksmith's shop was also an eye opener for me with the huge furnances and bellows. Going through this authentic town made me want to learn a whole lot more about it. This attraction is well worth the admission fee.

1 Thank lbren979