“Great Service and Seafood”

Mesquite Grill Steak & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Mesquite Grill Steak & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S. Dayton St.
Transit: Light rail is within four minutes from the restaurant.
Reviewed May 28, 2016 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful, quiet dinner of catfish and Mahi, each with the lemon pasta sauce. The owners were both very attentive. We recommend the house salad, clam chowder and homemade rolls for appetizer. We topped it off with the delicious chocolate cake.

Reviewed March 4, 2016

It is located in a shopping center. The signs that are on the door give you the impression that you're walking into a neighborhood bar - but you're not. It is small and uniquely decorated. Quite a few whale pictures. The owner greets you and is very friendly. The waitress is equally friendly and knowledgeable. If she doesn't know the answer to your question, she will find out for you. The food came out without much of a wait and looked really appetizing. However, the food is really bland. The mixed veggies were really watery. Thought they would be grilled, but they seemed to be frozen, zapped in the microwave and that's it. The cajun shrimp was okay, but still rather tasteless. I wouldn't order it again if we ever go back. Husband's vegetables were the same. He ordered the filet and when I asked him how he liked it, he said it was good - not great, just good. It is rather pricey for so-so food. We had 2 two drinks and 2 entrees for $77.00 including tip.

1  Thank Munchkinz53
Reviewed February 6, 2016

This spot is 3 blocks from my home. I have passed it by for 8 years. I finally decided to try it last night.............. MISTAKE.
I should have stuck to my gut. The place was closer to bad than good.
Ok, as far as looks, the place is kinda small, but I don't mind that. It seemed clean, but with (in my opinion) some tacky wall decorations. Our main waitress was pretty nice and overall, she was attentive. I can not knock her.
First thing I noticed was the prices in the menu. I thought was that... "for a strip mall type eatery, they are just a little pricey." Before anyone thinks I am cheap, I love a good steak and I try to make a Del Frisco visit whenever I can. I love to pay for quality.
The price for "steak" & 3 shrimp was $29. On the surface, not bad, but my impression was that it was too much for this place. I ordered it anyway. The waitress said I could chose between a filet or ribeye, for the same price. I thought that was weird, but hey.... I went with the filet, cooked medium. We also had an order of the blackened grouper coming to the table.
While waiting, I noticed that I didn't smell any "food smells". No active kitchen smells, and I thought that was weird.
We were gonna order garlic bread, but waitress said they bring bread to the table, so we went with that. Man look....... this bread was NOT good. We love the bread most places bring out, but this was BAD. They were basically some very dense biscuits. They were very bland too. I threw a lot of butter one to make it better. it barely helped. Worse pre-dinner bread I have ever had at a restaurant.
We also had fried clams come out. I don't eat those, but they other adult guest said they were fine, nothing special, but fine. They got finished.
They brought a small salad...... it was basic, which is fine because I don't like complex salads. But I went to eat the "crouton"and it was soft. Ummm, it was like a small soft piece of bread. Wasn't expecting that. Not sure it that was the was it was supposed to be, but it threw me off for sure. Other components were ok.
Food came out. I tasted my fries...... my comment was "there is no seasoning, and they look and taste like store brand frozen fries". Steak was in 2 pieces...... kinda looked like the larger piece wasn't the right size, so they cut a small piece from something else and added it. It wasn't seasoned, but the outside had a char. I am good with that as long as it isn't burned. After 3 bites I realize this steak is actually pretty rare on the inside. I don't really like mine like that, but i didn't complain...... I just didn't eat much more of it. The shrimp were a good size, but had no flavor to them. Actually a lot of the size was the coating (fried).
The blackened grouper should have a sear on it, theirs didn't. It was blackened by the dark seasoning only. It was seasoned decently, but not cooked well. I am not a fish expert, but the other guest said it tasted like frozen, with some seasoning thrown on it. The veggies that came with the grouper looked exactly like the frozen Green Giant veggie medley I get at King Soopers. Chef Ramsay would have a field day with this place.
My daughter had chicken strips, and didn't want to finish them. I didn't taste them, but she just said she didn't like them.

So...... I would most likely never visit this spot again. There was nothing to bring me back in. I really don't know how much "cooking" actually takes place here. And the quality was just not there. By the menu, it seems they think they are better than they actually are. Basically $100 wasted on this experience. The wait staff was nice, so I did tip decently. I find it weird that this place is able to stay in business for so long serving up this lack of quality. The rent must be very cheap.

Reviewed December 20, 2015

Only found this because of a coupon. Strip mall storefront gave me pause when I entered. From there out it was a great experience. Server was friendly, competent, professional, knew the menu and food well, and made it a very pleasurable time. Robert, owner/chef came out to check and engaged in quite a good conversation culminating in a tour of the kitchen and the actual "mesquite grill." One of the better filets of my life, and incredibly tender. When I was considering the scallops, I guess I looked both big and hungry and the server helpfully offered that the scallop plate was a smaller portion, to make sure I wasn't disappointed. Way better than average clam chowder. Highly recommend.

Reviewed December 12, 2015

We absolutely loved this family owned business! The owner and his wife are very friendly. We started off with the crab cakes, which were the best crab cakes we have ever had. For our meal, my husband ordered the steak and lobster tail, which was cooked to perfection, and I ordered the steak and King Crab legs, which also was delicious! Both meals were perfectly prepared, grilled over mesquite. We topped it off with homemade Peach Cobbler cake, which we took home to eat later, and it was also delightful. We are so thankful we found this place and will definitely be back!