“Not a bad place to stay...especially if you strike a good deal like we did!”

Keystone Lodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Keystone
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Not a bad place to stay...especially if you strike a good deal like we did!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We decided to stay here because of the higher-than-average reviews on this site, as well as a 50% off discount from hotels.com.

This place is a bit difficult to rate, because my wife and I also stayed at Della Terra in Estes Park...which is in a class of its own, for a few days before Keystone. But here, things seemed a bit "meh". Don't get me wrong, the staff was SUPER nice...I had some great banter with the valet dudes about my rental car, too. I was impressed by the honeymoon gift they brought to our room: champagne, choco-covered strawberries and a card. That was all very nice.

I was a bit taken back at the fact that if my wife and I wanted omelets for breakfast delivered to our room, it would be literally over $35 bucks after the taxes and charges...which is weird, because the hotel isn't that swanky at all. Heck, we wouldn't receive any discount at all eating any meals there (Like the Westin), which is why we ate every meal somewhere in town. And it is not that I'm cheap, or demand free things, but hotels today offer so much service (you get free breakfast at most entry-level motels) and that is precisely where Keystone L&S fell short. It wasn't a bad experience at all, but definitely nothing too memorable either, which is a sad thing to me.
There are places to stay in Colorado where pictures can't capture the beauty, and places where pictures may deceive...unfortunately, this was more on the latter.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maryland
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed at the Keystone Resort and Spa for five nights during a conference. I was impressed with the service which I judged as excellent. There was a free shuttle, very friendly staff, free valet parking (that might have been a bonus of the conference, but even free self-parking which I used was easy), and good sized rooms. My room was a very long walk from the elevator, but many other rooms were very more conveniently located. Also, the hotel offers easy access to the Keystone ski area (did I mention free shuttle!) and a very short drive to the Arapahoe Basin ski area. I did not try the hotel restaurant, but there are plenty of other possibilities in Keystone to try. Overall, I was very happy with the hotel.

Room Tip: Long hotel with room numbers organized that the larger the number the farther away from the elevator...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Keystone Lodge & Spa was a great place to stay for 3 nights during a snowboard week. It's not in the village, but in an ideal spot if you want to go to all the areas Summit County has to offer. We went to Keystone, A-Basin, & Vail while we stayed there, and never drove more than 35 minutes. Silverthorne and Dillon are a 5 minute drive away, and for non-skiers there are pretty good outlet shops.

The room was very comfortable, with a generous balcony. Great choice of cable channels and easy wifi access. The bed and sheets were one of the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel - it compares to the beds & $400 sheets at the Wynn in Las Vegas. The only complaint about the room I would have is that the shower was a bit dark due to an odd placement of the light/shower curtain.

The pool, hot tub, and spa facilities were great. We didn't try any spa services, but had access to the sauna and steam room. Usually I don't like indoor pool/hot tub areas, but this one was nice and clean. The only negative would be a funky smell in the steam room, but it may have been due to the man wearing dirty tennis shoes while we were there.

Overall a great stay. The staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: The receptionist put us farther down the hall for good views, but the views were definitely not wort...
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 24 March 2012

There's just no way to give this place more than two stars.

From the moment you arrive, it's all just plain poor: service, facilities, value.

They tell you to call ahead for early check in. Early is any time before 4pm. Parking is scarce so they offer "free" valet service which you know you have to pay for one way or the other.

We called ahead, that we were arriving around 12:30. No problem, they said, just tell them at the front desk. Which we did. One hour and forty minutes later, after falling asleep on a sofa in the lobby, I asked if they were cleaning or remodeling the room. They called ... It will be ready in 20 minutes. Can I get something to eat? Sure, we have a cafe by the edge of the pool.

Sat down in the cafe. Sorry, we close at 2pm. That's on Saturday afternoon!!!

Went back, showed a litlle frustration, and reported the 2 pm closure. The front desk persons (2) acted very surprised, told me about the deli next door which I already rejected.

Got into my room at 2:30 pm. Plenty big. 40" flat screen (so what?). Nice bathroom. NO AIR CONDITIONER. Room is 78 degrees F. The free valet guy ($5) comes to the room with our bags, and say ya, sorry about that, people open their patio doors. So I did. And listened to everyone's pool conversation while trying to nap until 6 pm. Yep, that's right.

They gave us some free gondola ride passes but ailed to say they are only good for your first (in our case of 4) nights, between 4 pm and 8 pm, so they beat us out of that.

Now, as for the area itself, there's NOTHING to do after sundown near this place, or in it. The restaurant has almost no one in it, but that's probably because there's not going to be a meal for you for under $60 when your all done.

Called to find where the vending machines were and they sent me to the wrong place. Half the time when you call the desk you get some kind of routing auto-attendant that asks you were you are staying.

Find somewhere else to stay, or visit Omaha. This place is less serviceable and entertaining than the Amtrak roomette and club car we took to visit here.

Room Tip: This is a time-share I think, expect to be treated accordingly.
Boston
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I recently returned from my second stay at Keystone Lodge and Spa. Both were for a business conference at the conference center. The Lodge is the closest spot to the conference center, which is very convenient. Additionally, the Lodge has a private shuttle that goes directly to the River Run area and Gondola, as well as free ski/board check at River Run. So convenient to leave my board there instead of taking it back and forth to my room.

The rooms are smaller but have everything you need, including a humidifier, desk, table, chairs, armoire, and large TV. The beds are ridiculously comfortable with a feather bed, down pillows and down comforters.

The one complaint I have is that the walls are thin - It takes a few days to get used to the noise of flusing toilets and slamming doors. Near the end of my stay, a family with kids moved in upstairs and the kids were tremendously loud. I had to sleep with a pillow over my head to block out the noise.

I got room service - the cobb salad was huge and delicious - and ate in the lobby restaurants. Everything was top notch, though quite expensive. The concierge and valet staff were very happy and friendly. I would strongly recommend this hotel, though keep in mind that I wasn't paying for it. The only thing I did pay for was my visit to the spa - a 50 delightful 50 minute massage and scalp therapy was $230+. Again, awesome but expensive.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a top floor room facing away from the pool. You'll get road noise, b...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Pleasantly surprised! We were well received on arrival and had a great week-end! Rooms were clean and spacious. Shuttle bus to the ski area is super and staff are friendly and very helpful! Will be returning for a few more days ...in March!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Brigantine, NJ
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Had a little sticker shock when I went to book a weekend at the Lodge during high season. However, when I called Keystone Resorts directly and mentioned my husband has a season ski pass, we got a rate that was almost half the posted rate. Additionally, they threw in three free skate passes, although I got a lot of grief from the skating rink "manager" when I went to redeem them. ( I have dealt with her several times, and she is always abrasive and offensive). Keystone Resorts has a good reputation for service, and if something goes wrong, they go out of their way to make it right. I have no idea how this girl still has her job.

The Lodge used to be a Rock Resorts property, but no longer. Hopefully, the amenities, services, and condition of the hotel will remain 4-star. The rooms are well-appointed and fairly large, and the beds are super comfortable. The pool area and spa are nice, but could use a little updating. We didn't have any problems with the valet (which was, surprisingly, free), although some people mentioned it can be really slow. The restaurant and bar can be very crowded, and the servers/bartenders look completely frazzled. However, it's a nice area where you can sit by one of several fireplaces. I have heard the food is good; I know for a fact the margs are great.

Given the great deal we got, and the high level of service (except at the rink), we will definitely be back.

I almost forgot another great bonus: if the Lodge isn't booked up, you can pay an extra $20 to have a 7 p.m. checkout. This is idea for skiers who want to ski all day, then come back and relax in the spa and clean up before heading home. Plus, leaving later allows you to miss some of the nightmarish traffic on I-70.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KaterBrigantine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
1.4 km away
16.2 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge
7.0 km away
Best Western Ptarmigan Lodge

Been to Keystone Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!