“Oh, the Sage Ice Tea and Ice Cream. but...”

Heart of Jerusalem Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed June 27, 2016

We stopped here on the recommendation of several locals for a late lunch on a hot but relaxing day in Manitou.The restaurant has been around and shows its age in wear and tear. I'd categorize it as a local dive. On the day we ate there, the cafe was very busy with a large group, so we waited a long time for service and for our lunch. That gave us plenty of time to look around (something a stickler for cleanliness should not do), and to sample the house made Sage Ice Tea, which was the best caffeine-free drink I have ever had. I understand this is an authentic Middle Eastern beverage and I'm glad I finally have had the pleasure of being introduced to it. It is both satisfying and soothing -- healing and cooling properties of sage and cool water -- just enough sweetness too. My husband's grilled meat wrap was substantial and very tasty. My vegetarian plate -- hummus, falafel, grape leaves, etc.-- was just what I wanted and good enough but a little limp and left-over looking. Highlight for me was the warm, house-made pita which made everything taste better. There's an inside-the-cafe ice cream stand, and the homemade chocoholic flavor we had was divine. All-in-all, a satisfying lunch experience at a great value.

1  Thank Joanne S

Reviewed June 26, 2016 via mobile

Food is great. We had Ultimate Plate and Chicken kabob platter. The flavor of the meat will never disappoint!
There are kids menu available. You may need to ask if kids menu lister are available. During the time we were there , they ran out of chicken nuggets.

1  Thank 3Mbelle
Reviewed June 26, 2016

After going up Pikes Peak and walking around Manitou Springs in the June heat my husband and I were craving a lighter and refreshing lunch. We stopped here for lunch and were very pleased. The interior is a little rustic but one bite and you can tell that it's because they're dedicated to the food. Our gyros were delicious. Also, they don't have conventional iced tea, but I strongly recommend you try the iced tea they do have, it's incredibly refreshing. The service was also fantastic, our server was fast and kind. So glad we stopped here!

1  Thank eightwednesday
Reviewed June 24, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I shared a platter with a side of tabbouleh. It was plenty for us to share. We also had baklava which was delicious! The waitress was fast and courtesy. We were tired of standard travel junk food and are glad we stopped here.

1  Thank RoaringCrab
Reviewed June 23, 2016

We went last Sunday and only had one hour to eat. The restaurant was totally full and we were a group of seven adults and two babies. They accomodated us and even though they said they could not assure us we'd be done in time, they served us and we were out in forty five minutes. The server was excellent.
We ordered hummus, which comes with four pieces of falfel (the falafels are quite spicy). The hummus was excellent and very fresh tasting. Some in our party ordered the vegetable platter and it looked very fresh as well. They said it was very tasty. I ordered the chicken shwarma and it had a little too much tahini for my taste. It was very sloppy to eat it, and not entirely enjoyable, especially as the chicken was cubed and not sliced. All in all, though, I would give it another try.

1  Thank worldtraveller00911