New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“5 top reasons why you need to visit Black Mountain Colorado Dude Ranch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Mountain Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mc Coy
Black Mountain Ranch
Los Angeles, California
“5 top reasons why you need to visit Black Mountain Colorado Dude Ranch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

There are so many reasons I loved my trip to Black Mountain Ranch but here are my Top 5:
1.) The People: The staff adds so much to the whole experience. They've all got such an amazing and diverse backgrounds that it makes it fun to get to know each person! Their number 1 goal is to make sure you have a fantastic experience here.
2.) The Animals: Got kids?? They've got a ton of animals [horses, rabbits, chickens, ducks, alpacas, donkeys, dogs, baby goats, and texas longhorns] for the kids to interact with. This big kid had a blast playing with the dogs and feeding the baby goats every day.
3.) The Food: The food was amazing. Chef Kris is a graduate of California Culinary Academy [a Le Cordon Bleu school] and does everything she can to make sure that you leave full and happy.
4.) The Activities: Above and beyond the cattle drives and horseback riding you'd expect to do, you also get to stay at pack camp overnight [with fajitas & margaritas!], white water raft, skeet shoot, go to a rodeo, learn how to country line or swing dance, rope, fish, or hike.
5.) The Relaxation: I enjoyed the time I spent doing nothing but reading, napping, and talking to the other guests at the ranch. I loved the flexibility of doing as much or as little as you wanted to do each day.

I spent about a week here and it just wasn't enough time. I could have stayed another week to take advantage of everything the ranch had to offer.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jenjenkay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Edwards, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Tucked in the mountains of CO this place is amazing. We spent the week here with the family and made so many great memories. Horseback riding each day, knowledgeable and friendly staff, beautiful views, and AH-mazing food. If you're looking for a place to get away from it all - this is the place. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank DelOrganic
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed on the ranch and cannot say enough about the place and the people who run it. A "perfect getaway" is actually quite an understatement.

My girlfriend is from Manhattan and is not what you'd consider anything close to a cowgirl. Yet, the gentleness and welcoming of the staff made her feel comfortable doing new things like driving cattle, riding horses and lassoing calfs. The food was beyond amazing, the chef was also the chef at some of Boulder's finest restaurants, and the nightly saloon was a blast.

When we left she actually told me "I was really nervous about this trip, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat."

3 Thank JoelWish
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

I booked a 5 day stay at the ranch in June of 2011. One of my close friends was turning 40 and we wanted to do something unique to commemorate it. We thought we would have a fun time here but it was better than expected. I cannot say enough good things about the place and the people.I have traveled a lot and this was a trip i wont forget. I highly recommned Black Mountain Ranch to both adults and families.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank QuezRho
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Fantastic week in the mountains! For a truly Western, Colorado experience, Black Mountain Ranch has it all: great food, friendly horses, helpful staff, rustic accommodations. The starry night skies are unbeatable! I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank sallyfranck
Banchory Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

This is a fantastic Ranch with excellent facilities in a beautiful location!
We went to this ranch for my partners 40th birthday and it was the ideal way to celebrate it!
It is family run and they did everything possible to make our trip a great experience. Really friendly and professional. I have thirty years experience with horses and my partner had never ridden before and they managed to fix us up with the perfect horses according to our riding abilities. You don't have to be able to ride to go there. Just a sense of adventure! We also went whitewater rafting for the day and shooting clays and learned how to lasso a cow!
There is a restaurant on site where the food is exceptional, we really didn't expect it to be this good. Not that you will always eat in there as we also BBQ'd and camped round the fire which we loved. Jimmy, your margaritas are ace! The saloon is very authentic and the log cabins were awesome. We met a fabulous bunch of people from the guests to the wranglers and all the family. We would definitely recommend it!

2 Thank adventurer1171
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

My husband and I had experienced a dude ranch once before and while both were a ton of fun - Black Mountain Ranch exceeded our expectations - This is a family owned ranch where everyone does whatever it takes to make your stay the best ever - the trail riding is adventerious - regardless of riding ability - the horses know their way up and down the mountains - the ranch is at 8200 feet - you can travel up the mountains to 10000 feet - amazing views! We also learned to rope cattle - the cattle drive was outstanding - once you bring the cattle down to the corral you then are able to rope the calves - my NY born husband roped 5!!!! The food was amazing - there were evening rides to a cookout - an overnite stay with fajitas and margaritas and breakfast over an open fire - just doesn't get any better - Take our word for it - you will not regret choosing the BMR

2 Thank dancingdalys

Been to Black Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!