All reviews elk room themed rooms rooms are clean two queen beds sand dunes definitely stay here again curtains taxidermy rates dq desk bath lodging colorado
Reviewed October 1, 2017

The Rio Grande Motel greatly exceeded my expectations! Both the owner and other main employee are extremely friendly and accommodating. They allowed me to check in early so I could watch more football on a Saturday! And it was a great place to do so - large HDTV with lots of channels. The room was much more than you get from chain motels - real sheets/blankets/towels that were soft and comfortable, lots of nice room decorations including a built-in bookcase with nice items on it, a fridge and microwave, etc. It felt more like a cozy cottage than a motel room. I like how their rooms each have an outdoors/animal theme - I stayed in the duck room.

Overall it was a wonderful stay and a real hidden gem. I highly recommend it and if I'm ever back in town I'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2017

First, the front desk attendant is a gem. She was very helpful and greeted us with a smile. The room was clean but very crowded. And the décor, extremely hunter friendly - the shower mat is a picture of rocks in water, no closet but antler racks for hanging clothes.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2017

This hotel is definitely different from the known motel chains! Yes, it is a little outdated and the bathroom could be bigger, but my room itself was large enough! Plus it was clean. Best thing was the very friendly lady behind the desk!! I arrived early and checking in was no problem.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2017

We had to change our schedule, cancel a night in Gunnison and were therefore looking for an accommodation not far away from the Great Sand Dunes NP. Lodging in Alamosa was too expensive and so we have chosen Monte Vista. This motel is very special due to its „wildlife themed rooms“ and does not offer more than a place to sleep. With two queen beds and armchair it was quite crowded. WiFi didn´t work very well. For just one night ok.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2017

If you are in the Monte Vista, Colorado area, be sure to stay at Rio Grande Motel. It is conveniently located near restaurants, a quaint downtown area and a beautiful park with mountain views. The young woman who greeted us at the desk, also works with housekeeping to service the rooms, and she is very friendly. I wish I had caught her name. She offered us a great kindness and understanding that is rare nowadays. The rooms are clean, neat and each decorated in motifs that reflect nature and Colorado life. We were in the horse room, a room with double beds that were arranged for as much privacy as allowed. They offer WiFi, great television reception, coffee in the room and a mini-fridge. We found the room affordable and very comfortable. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There are rooms at ground level, and one loft room. There may be mountain views in the upper room.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family