All reviews tent camping clean restrooms creekside cafe tent areas fire ring camp store rv sites deluxe cabin hot tub offer breakfast shower facilities national forest off road biscuits and gravy every morning the river laundry
Reviewed August 10, 2017

My family (myself, wife, 8 year old son, 3 year old daughter) tent camped 3 nights in site 47B. My daughters first time camping she loved it. The site was nice with a few trees near the woods. The site did lack a charcoal grill which most of the other nearby sites had though not all. The staff provided us a grill to place over the fire pit which worked well enough. Though a charcoal grill worked have been better. This was a non-electric site and from what I could tell most if not all of the tents sites were non-electric. Our GMC Acadia has a 120v plug but I forgot to bring an extension cord. One of the KOA staff members let us borrow his personal extension cord twice so we could air up our air mattress. In early August the sleeping temps were a little chilly, good thing we brought a few sleeping bags. The KOA is about 9 miles south of Ridgeway and 4 miles north of Ouray. Ridgeway has a small grocery store. I think Ouray has an even smaller grocery store. It rained a little just about every day we were there sometimes a couple times, but then the sun would come out and it would be nice. The campground has a young bear around that seems to be an opportunist at night for those that leave food or pots and pans out. The campground also has a doe and her twin fawns that graze on the lush grass, we saw them walk near our campsite everyday. Each site had a wooden picnic table. Site 47B is in a little bit of a low lying area compared to some of the other sites, if I'd had known this before booking I'd have requested one of the sites on higher ground. It didn't rain enough to be a problem; however I suspect if there had been a monsoon type rain we'd likely had some water issues. The views from our site were okay, but nothing compared to being in Ouray. The price was very economical though, the staff very friendly and helpful. We were too busy to try the hot tub or play ground area. The free wifi was nice and worked well. We have phone service through t-mobile; there was no coverage there to speak of. The showers were clean and not very far from our camp site. There are also a few sinks near the showers for washing dishes which was convenient. Overall it was a great experience, we all enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2017

On a recommendation from a fellow traveller, we stopped in for breakfast at the Creekside Cafe, a short order, no frills camping cafe that serves delicious breakfasts. We shared the “big breakfast” of eggs and bacon, pancakes, and biscuits and gravy with sausage. The pancakes were surprisingly good, and we would have them again. The meal was served on paper plates with plastic cutlery, carried to plain outdoor tables. No five star dining here, but a good tasting, hearty meal for a good price.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2017

I specifically visited this park based on hearing they had really good food. I did have friends that stayed in the park and were happy - most with children were more content than those that were childless.

But I digress... I stayed elsewhere but I was told the KOA had really good breakfast so I made the drive over. I was not disappointed. Not to brag but I have put away some biscuits and gravy in my day. In most cases I avoid it because of he proliferation of powdered gravies and precooked biscuits. While I can't confirm or deny if this was packaged gravy it was damn good. But, what really set this dish apart from others was the biscuits. These were nice and dense and held up against the gravy - they didn't turn to mush but they also weren't dry. I was a very happy camper!

The restaurant sits behind the main office and there is a creek that runs behind it. Makes for a place of quiet reflection as you scarf down the wonderful food.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2017 via mobile

We stayed here 3 nights, not making it in until the 2nd night. They held our reservation until we got there for us. The campground is a bit crowded but it's still worth it. The grounds are kept up well and bathrooms clean. It's on beautiful property and across the road from the river. You could walk over to fish. It was a surprisingly quiet campground for the 4th of July. The front desk and staff are wonderful. We rented a Jeep right there at the office. I thought it was more reasonable than others I researched too. We'd definitely recommend it to anyone and go back.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2017

We have stayed here 4 times and each time we are impressed with the service, cleanliness, and friendly staff. They offer breakfast every morning and it is fantastic and Wednesday through Saturday hey cook up som sort of Barbque. I can't think of one thing that they haven't already thought of to make this place any better.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a place on the babbling brook. It s so soothing.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple