“Great summer 4 x 4 trip.”
Review of Yankee Boy Basin

Yankee Boy Basin
Ranked #3 of 36 things to do in Ouray
More attraction details
Owner description: Surrounded by several mountain peaks (Potosi Peak, Teakettle Mountain, Cirque Mountain, Stony Mountain, and Gilpin Mountain), Yankee Boy Basin is a popular scenic area visited by hikers, photographers, four-wheelers and nature lovers.
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The San Juan Mountains don't get any better than this. If you have a day, and you want to really see the mountains, this is the trip. Unrelated to going to Yankee Boy, but nearby... Do NOT attempt to navigate Black Bear Pass going into Telluride unless you are truly an EXPERT 4 x 4 driver! Go with a guide service on this white knuckle trip. I was a local for years, and I am really glad I took an organized trip with someone who has driven the pass hundreds of times. This is TRUE EXPERT TERRAIN...and once you start down, there is no way out.

2  Thank mbtelluride

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Best place to see lots of wildflowers in the summer. Can be crowded but worth it.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Also a great place to go ATVing. Enter just behind the Ice Park in Ouray, next to the Box Canyon. Just follow the road back to Yankee Boy Basin. The other side of the mountain in Telluride. Dangerous to cross over the top of the peak, but what an adventure. WOW!

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We rented a jeep for the day and chose to explore Yankee Boy Basin. Words can not describe the immense beauty of this place. The entire drive up was breathtaking. It was by far the most amazing thing I have ever done in my life. I wanted to do it again the next day! The waterfalls, wildflowers, wildlife, fresh air...........amazing! We drove all the way up and my kids got to play in the snow! We are from Texas so playing in snow in August was pretty fantastic for them. The lake up there was simply beautiful. We had a picnic lunch while there. I could have sat there for hours just taking in the beauty. God's hand is all around there no denying.

2  Thank PartimeTravel
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We took the Colorado West tour, with Hal as our guide, so we could sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery. We never stopped taking pictures ... every few seconds was a new, beautiful view.

Been to Yankee Boy Basin? Share your experiences!