“Highly recommend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salida
Thomas House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 6 Salida B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2010

The cottage in the back was very nice. It had a comfortable king bed with comfortable pillows. We slept very well in this bed! The shower had great water pressure. The host family was very nice and helpful. The breakfasts were very good - the homemade muffins were outstanding. The location was excellent - right in downtown. We were able to walk to all the restaurants. Amicas is an excellent restaurant just two blocks away. They have excellent pizza and salads. It is a micro-brewery - my husband loved their beer. Excellent white water rafting in the area - Independent whitewater is an excellent choice for guided rafting. This home was by downtown but was quiet.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2009

Stay here if you want to experience warm hospitality, great breakfast, and a short walk to the abundant galleries, shops, restaurants and Arkansas River-side access of "downtown" Salida. We have stayed in the "cottage" out back as well as in rooms in the house. All are nicely done with quality furnishings, linens and amenities. The funky hot tub/covered patio are great for hanging out in the evening. This is a also very welcoming place for bicyclists.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank f35645
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Thomas House located in Salida is only one hour away from Grand Sand Dune NP. It is also convenient to get to Colorado Springs. We originally booked one night at Thomas House but couldn't help booking another night after our stay. Tammy and Steve, as well as their cute Patch, are so warmhearted and helpful! The rooms are cozy and clean! The service is as professional as those 3 star chain hotels but also very personal! The breakfasts are delicious! During our stay we also enjoyed the outdoor hot spa tub in their pretty backyard! The experience was awesome for tired travelers like us! You can also read previous travelers' stay experiences in the log kept in each room, which may further convince you this is definitely the right choice!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank qzhever
Reviewed 31 July 2008

I had to travel to Salida, CO on business. When I went onto Travelocity and only saw a Super 8 and Holiday Inn of the main highway in town I was not happy. I searched for a Bed and Breakfast. I was a little weary of ANY Bed and Breakfast, as my first experience was very unusual.
I was delighted in my first impression. The Owners, Tammy and Steve, were more than accommodating. The rooms were beautiful and well maintained. The bedding and linens were of great quality and very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent with more than enough choices. I brought my mother and daughter for this adventure, we could not have picked a better place. I have returned every 3 months since our initial visit, about 13 visits. I could not imagine staying anywhere else in the Chaffee County area.

P.S. The hot tub is just right for those cold winter nights.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled with family
1  Thank Colotouristgal
Reviewed 2 September 2007

Me and my husband stayed at the Thomas House for two nights on the weekend of Aug. 17-18. Even though the owners live across the street, they (Steve and Tammy) are around the house with their two small boys alot. You will see kids toys in the yard. The dumpy apt. house across the side street from the Thomas House is rather an eye-sore to the neighborhood. Even the Thomas House itself at first glance looks tired and worn from the want of some cosmetic paint touch ups on the place but...from the friendly down to earth owners who are full of helpful local information, the two hour open time slot allowed to show up for breakfast that was delicious, the very comfortable beds, the soft and thick bathtowels, free wi-fi in rooms (no tv in ours, I think only the suites have it) and its very close proximity to downtown Salida's restaurants, shops and the Arkansas River, we enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were very clean and decorated in Victorian style with antiques but not overly fru-fru in decor. Each room has a small A/C window unit and it kept our room comfortably cool. There was a nice parlor area for guests downstairs with shelf full of books. Upstairs there is a shared kitchen available for light cooking, refrigerator, microwave and sitting area. Outside there is a hot tub in the back and a covered patio. We found the place charming and quaint and enjoyed walking to town, to the river and several nearby parks. The house is in the old historic section of town about two blocks from the downtown area. The house itself was built in the 1880's and was a boarding house for railroad employees. I also thought their prices were reasonable for a b and b. We stayed in the Mt. Shivano room. Visit their website for more pictures. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GeeZee
Reviewed 7 July 2007

This place looked gorgeous on the net! Quaint, charming, though the price seemed high! ($135 for a large cottage, granted it was a holiday weekend). And I dropped by prior to my stay, as I kayak down there a lot and was not that impressed. (Apartment house next door, kids junk in the parking lot), but we checked in anyway.
But the small touches and the knowledge and friendliness of the owners changed my mind. Our cottage, a separate one bedroom house, had a wonderful KING bed, a full (though small) kitchen, and all the appointments one might want: Hi Speed WiFi internet, TV, lots of fluffy towels, nice, HOT hot tub etc.
Breakfast was fine, its buffet style and you don't have to show up at any particular time. There was hot food (bacon, french toast) and lots of fruit, good coffee and tea and everything else you might want.

This place is funny. The owners are raising a couple of small kids (whom we never saw, they live next door) and so there are toys and junk everywhere (outside). Not exactly the B and B experience, but by morning, I thought .....who cares? Our cottage was DEAD QUIET and the bed dreamy, and the knowledge of the owner (Mr Thomas House) was amazing. He is the kind of local you want, very knowledgeable, willing to share . So yeah, stay there. At what ever the price.

KJ

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank KJFromSan
Reviewed 25 November 2006

I had the most uncomfortable, disaggreeable visit at the Thomas House that I have ever had in all my years of traveling and loving B & Bs. Not only were the doors locked when we arrived, but the owners were unavailable by phone and no one answered the doorbell. It was after midnight when my group of three arrived and the weather was very cold and blistery. I found a way into the Inn via the kitchen in the back of the house and despite the fact the door was open and lights were on, no one was there. The kitchen was frighteningly filthy and smelled like weeks-old rotten food. I couldn't imagine eating a breakfast prepared in that kitchen! When the owners found out we had let ourselves in, they were not only not apologetic for their lapse and not the least bit welcoming, but treated us as if we were criminals! We felt like we were in the middle of an Alfred Hitchcock movie - we wanted to leave as soon as possible for fear the knives would come out while we slept! EEK! The "adventure" at the Thomas House was not only creepy but disorganized, rude, disrespectful and even scary once we met the owners.

2  Thank Barbtravelsworldwide