“Comfortable Stay”

Legacy Vacation Resorts-Steamboat Hilltop
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We got a good price for this resort and as it was non peak season, we got upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. The rooms were clean and spacious. It had everything we needed. The location was also near to the town. Was just a short drive to shops, hot spring, waterfall. The receptionist was also very friendly and helpful. All in all, we had a pleasant stay.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank justmy2centsworth

Reviewed 21 September 2011

First time at this resort. We got a great deal as a last minute RCI rental. First the road to the resort is full of huge potholes. A major remodel was going on so half the resort was empty. There will be new windows and paint and landscaping, picnic area, new observation deck, new furniture, carpeting and granite counter tops so I do expect it will be better. Only the front rooms have a view. This is not a "resort" experience. No bar or restaurant or activities. More like a hotel with kitchens. Small pool and two small indoor hot tubs. No balconies. WiFi in lobby only. We had room in back with view of tennis court and old miniature golf (to all be updated), but still not a "view". Great walk in closet to keep ski gear in. We did have a mouse visit our room but we chased him out. Close to the Hot Springs Pool.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front side with a view of Steamboat Springs.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaboVicki
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I chose Legacy Vacation Resorts- Hilltop in Steamboat Springs because we got a great price on Expedia and because we wanted a hotel with a kitchen. When I booked the trip, there were mostly positive reviews on TripAdvisor. About a week before we left, I looked again and read two pretty negative reviews of the hotel, and became concerned, wondering if we should cancel our reservation and look elsewhere. However, we ended up sticking with our original plans. While I understand that some travelers have recently had a bad experience here (which I feel bad about), my husband and I had a wonderful stay here.
On Expedia, I had made a request for a more quiet room if possible, as I can be a bit noise-sensitive, and Legacy Vacation Resorts honored that request by giving us a top floor room nearly all of the way down to the end of the hall. Other than the loud trains at night (which you can hardly avoid if you are staying down by the main strip), the hotel was quiet and peaceful. Our room was recently remodeled, so we didn't feel like we were staying in an old dump. Some reviewers mentioned that the outside of the hotel is in pretty bad shape- I would agree- there is paint peeling off in many places, but it appeared that some of it had already been repainted and I am guessing that they are in the process of slowly repainting and updating what they can as quickly as they can.
All of this said, we had a wonderful stay here and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank donkelfamily
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Totally sucks........

I have stayed here for 9 years in a row for work, and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars at this resort. It's now under new management, THEY HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO TREAT THEIR REPEAT OLD CUSTOMERS.

New acting manager should be fire immediately; they treat clients like we are hicks and with no respect what so ever.

The whole establishment is in desire; someone should contact the true owners to let them know that the inmates are controlling the asylum.

I have never been so furious of the way that I was treated in a 5 minutes time. After spending hundreds of thousands of dollars with this people, they left me standing and waiting for the so call ACTING MANAGER.

There is construction everywhere or so I have been told, never seen no contractors there doing anything. Parking lot and driveways coming up IS FULL OF MASSIVE WHOLES, this outfit whatever happened, the new management has NO IDEA OF HOW TO TREAT THEIR OLD CUSTOMERS WITH RESPECT.

After staying there for 9 years, during their off and peak seasons, never had a complain; new management has told us as a company we can only stay for 1 week at a time, they also sent me and TOLD ME TO FIND ANOTHER RESORT.

I was told that they were tripling my rate and that I was allowed to stay one week, the entire place seem to be about half full, lucky to get someone at the front desk and HAS BEEN TOTALLY RUN DOWN.

I just wish that I could get a hold of who is truly running this and let them know that the employees that they have now has total disrespect for their old customers and are willing to give away a solid customer of 9 years.

I HIGHLY RECOMEND THAT YOU DO NOT GO TO THIS STABLISHMENT BECAUSE THEY TREAT TOURISTS AND COMPANIES AS IF YOU ARE SIMPLE HICKS.
I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS AND NEVER RECOMMEND THEM TO ANY OF MY FRIENDS OR OTHER COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH THIS TYPE OF MANAGEMENT.

Jack Dougherty Asphalt Paving

Room Tip: Go to a place where they treat you with respest and are willing to work with you as a customer
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Kaname2017
Andy H, Manager at Legacy Vacation Resorts-Steamboat Hilltop, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Wow. Thank you for your honest feedback.

We listened and have replaced the management team you are referring to in your comments. Our staff now regualrly receives glowing comments and our recent ratings on TripAdvisor are reflective of the many improvements made. Each team member is committed to excedding your expectations.

Out with the old and in with more than $1M in improvements including our Complimentary Ski Shuttle service. We offer this service to area restaurants, downtown Steamboat Springs, and the ski areas.

Recent upgrades include several large custom ski shuttle busses which we plan to run continuously for all of our guests starting in November 2012. These ski shuttle busses are equipped with exterior ski racks, perimeter seating to make it easier to access and 2-way radio service for our drivers to respond to any guest transportation requests. This service remains complimentary for all of our guests.

No more excuses. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

As a family of six, with kids ranging in ages 5-14, having a two bedroom condo was great, and the price was right too. The building is old and the parking lot needs attention, but they are doing renovations. The front desk staff was always helpful and friendly, kids loved the pool and game room (pool, foosball, ping pong). For the 4th of July, it couldn't be beat, as we had the best view in town right out front. The staff brought out chairs for everyone, so we could sit comfortably and watch Steamboat's amazing display. The master bedroom with a king bed was large, had two closets (one huge walk-in), and a decent master bath. The living room had a sleeper sofa, closet, small but adequate kitchen, and full bathroom. The 2nd bedroom had two queens, two closets, a mini-kitchen, and full bathroom. Three tv's, three bathrooms....way worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Vaughn_boys_mom
Kimberly K, General Manager at Legacy Vacation Resorts-Steamboat Hilltop, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Thank you and we hope to see you back.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Hotel is outdated and worse yet the staff is not friendly. We asked for a mountain view and got avbiew of the tennis courts on the first night. We heard various guests make requests and they were turned down every time . One couple were not given a room until 5 in evening because housekeeping wasn't ready and were told they would have to check out in the morning by 10. When they asked if they could check out at 11 they were told to check in the morning and they would be put on a list. My wife and I asked if we could get into pool area at 730 in morning to view balloons because of the rain outside we were told the pool could not be opened until 8. Their Customer Service is terrible!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

We listened and took action.

New for 2012 are $1M in upgraded accomodations, new stainless steel appliances in every kitchen, and bedding packages --plus flat screen TV's, wireless and all the amenities you'd expect to find. Our heated indoor pool, library, saunas, outdoor patio for the summer months, and hetaed spas are ready for your use.

In addition to our seasoned senior management team, we''ve taken your advice, and upgraded our ski shuttle service with several large custom ski shuttle busses which we plan to run continuously for all of our guests starting in November 2012. These ski shuttle busses are equipped with exterior ski racks, perimeter seating to make it easier to access and 2-way radio service for our drivers to respond to any guest transportation requests. This service remains complimentary for all of our guests.

Every team member is here to ensure we exceed your expectations. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2011

Celebrity - Hilltop/Legacy Resorts

I stayed here from Mar 4th-11th. First let me say this was my first time to SB and the skiing was AWSOME!

Now, for the resort. The resort is nice but could have been better. First, you’re greeted by 2 sets of stairs upon arrival. Imagine that with ski luggage. And no access for the luggage carts to leave the building. Check in was good, front desk personnel are very friendly; no matter who it is. it's difficult to move throughout the building because it takes a 90 degree turn to get to anywhere and it's in a small radius (kinda like driving a trailer in a labyrinth). This place is a timeshare that rents units as well. Our initial unit was small, real small. You walk in and you’re immediately greeted by stairs to the upper level. This didn’t work for me. I requested a change and they did no fuss – no muss.
I was switched to an accessible room on the 1st floor. There are benefits to this. The Mstr/bedroom was huge but you sacrifice a closet. The living room area was nice but again, no closet. The furniture was kinda worn and is not made for long periods of sitting or lying around. The kitchen facilities were nice but for this unit (accessible) everything was lower than usual; I got used to it by the end of the week. The TV channel choices were not that great and neither was the reception. Not one movie channel!
But overall this unit was really nice compared to my first one. I was happy with the cleanliness of the room and it had plenty of hot water.

The amenities include a pool (5ft) and 2 hut tubs. An exercise room (2- treadmills and a workout station). There are no eating or drinking facilities in the building, none, zero, zilch! There used to be one (and you can see it) but it was shut down. There’s also a game room on the lower level but most groups used it as a meeting place for parties. Since you may have a stove, microwave and fridge your best bet is to do some shopping. There is plenty of shopping near by; you can walk if you choose but good luck on getting back up that hill. They have an awesome shuttle service that operates from 8am-10am and again from 230pm-5pm to the Mtn only. Between and after those times they will take you ANYWHERE you wish to go.

Since I mentioned it, the resort sits high atop a hill with excellent views of the mountain and the town. It’s a slightly worn building and could use some TLC to bring it into the 21st century. Don’t get me wrong, I imagine in its day, it was… king of the hill (and you didn’t see that coming) but it’s still a nice place minus the upgrades. It’s about a 10min ride to the Mtn and maybe 10mins to town. If you’re looking for night life or being steps away from the Mtn; this is not the place.
I don’t know why they changed the name to Legacy but I can only imagine and hope some upgrades come with it.

Overall, this is just an average place to stay. Nothing really stood out. I was pleased with my stay and the shuttles; fortunately for me I was on a TS exchange and only paid the exchange fee. If I had to pay to stay, I’d probably choose this as choice #3.

Enjoy SB.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank AJazzMaster

Thank you for your comments and observations. While you will encounter several steps as you enter our front door, it is because we are built on a hill in Steamboat Springs, we you might expect of a ski area.

Since your visit we have installed several elevators, completed a $1M renovation, installed stainless steel appliances in every unit and WiFi throughout our resort. We have also added a library, flat screen TV's and expanded our game room.

Finally, we've taken your advice, and upgraded our ski shuttle service with several large custom ski shuttle busses which we plan to run continuously for all of our guests starting in November 2012. These ski shuttle busses are equipped with exterior ski racks, perimeter seating to make it easier to access and 2-way radio service for our drivers to respond to any guest transportation requests. This service remains complimentary for all of our guests to all ski areas and are attractions and restaurants

Our staff continues to receive great reviews and everyone is committed to enuring we exceed your expectations. Hope to see you again.