Review Highlights

from US$107.00
from US$350.00
from US$355.00
More Info
All reviews dirt road rent canoes small lake rough ride low clearance scenic drive hiking trail paddle boarding gore range gift shop day hike vail valley highlight of our trip moose monique waterfall suv
Reviewed October 2, 2018

Living in Vail for 30 years now I have seen 1st hand how piney has evolved. In the last 5 years this Little gem has gotten very popular. A few weeks ago it was the busiest I have ever seen it, but even that can’t away from how preaty the views are and how well the management has provided all of us a 1st class experience. Monique and her staff have put a lot of effort in to making it a grand experience for all that visit.
Spend a night there To really take it all in after all the day trippers have left.
Follow it up with a early morning hike up to the falls and a nice lunch before going home. There is a family of moose that frequent the southern part of the lake.( please respect their privacy as moose are very unpredictable creatures that are massive in size.)

1  Thank robertbY3051CD
Reviewed September 29, 2018 via mobile

The drive up from Vail was beautiful too. The last 3.8 miles was all bumpy road. I missed the fall leaves this year. Came a little late in the season. We had a dry summer. The water level is low. But the hike was still nice. The ranch must did good advertising. So many people here on the weekend. There were a lot of parking, so it wasn’t a problem.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

We just had our daughters wedding here. What an amazing spot to find! The views are complete with a bald eagle flying over head as moose walk in front of us. The food is fabulous, the help is unbelievable with kindness and willingness to do whatever you need. Go for a day or stay overnight and you will have an experience of a lifetime

Reviewed September 3, 2018

This was probably our favorite hike during our time in Vail. The bumpy dirt road (45 minute drive) is slow to navigate but we were able to do in my SUV. We hiked the Upper Trail which had awesome views the entire hike! We returned to see two moose on the far side of the lake. The staff was very friendly and allowed my elderly parents to wait on the porch/restaurant while my husband and I hiked for 3 hours.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

Great area, gets busier in the afternoon summer days but if you go in the morning it's excellent. You can hike and paddle board. Cute cabins even though we didn't stay in them.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

Visited late in August 2017, and the place was crowded - we did not even try to get in. Rather, we took the Piney River Falls Trail, which is nice thogh quite busy.

Reviewed August 19, 2018

We visited Piney River Ranch. Awesome view! The picture attached is NOT photo shopped! Two went horse back riding and had a wonderful time. My husband & I canoed on the 'lake' and loved it. Watched a mother Moose and her calf as they grazed at the lake side. Wonderful time! However, the ride up - when they say it takes 45 minutes to drive the 12 miles.....BELIEVE THEM!

Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

Best chance of seeing a moose is early morning or dusk. Road is bumpy but a car can do it fine just take it slow. Nice horseshoe pit so among other mentioned activities you can have a couple beers and a bite from the lunch counter, listen to country music and enjoy the stunning views. Make it like a happy hour and leave around dusk to see some moose if you get lucky.

Reviewed August 7, 2018

We took our 3 boys, ages 3, 5, and 7, up to this ranch. We did part of the hike, canoed, and fished. It was reasonably priced for everything we did. The road up wasn't bad, but we have an SUV. There are parts where a car might not do so well over the rocks.

2  Thank Tom H
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

My husband insisted we visit here with our teens after his trip with his parents 35 years earlier.
I was skeptical of the drive, bumpy and long, but so worth it. The beauty of this cannot be described well enough. We rented canoes(paddle boards also available) and had the best time. A moose sighting, three separate times. Trails around to walk and a in the ranch to eat lunch.
You can rent cabins on the lake- wish I rented one. We only stayed for the day, but it was so worth it.
Canoe and walk the trail- then go to gift shop for a souvenir. We loved this place so much!!!