“Spring Getaway!”

The Sebastian - Vail
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Greetings to all travelers!
First of all if you haven't been to Vail, Colorado you must go!! It is the most beautiful place in the world. Even though the ski season was over the area was still breath taking. I stayed in the Sebastian Boutique Hotel. As you enter the hotel you will be greeted with a warm smile from one of the staff. They gladly asked if I would like a bottled water while I was checking in. The hotel lobby was furnished with nice comfy furniture with a warm fireplace. It also had a library with shelving from floor to ceiling. A place you could get away to unwind while you are there. The room was a standard room with two double beds. The beds were so comfortable you may have to set your alarm so you don't over sleep the next morning. The linens were luxury with down co mforters as well. A must when you are staying in the mountains. The toiletry items were very nice, too. Since it was the off season I didn't use the spa services but the hotel did have a work out room and a fabulous outdoor pool. It was tucked away behind the hotel with 3 hot tubs. There also was a place to sit in nice outdoor furniture with a large fire pit to keep you warm at night. The hotel was a beautiful place to stay. My friend and I enjoyed it very much. I think you will be very satisfied when you stay here. I recommend going to Vail June through October. May is very slow and a lot of the restaurants and shops are closed until the season is back in full swing. Early October is beautiful as well. There is lots to do in the summer months in the Vail Valley. Memories you will never forget. Hope you enjoy your trip to Vail and your stay at the Sebastion Hotel.:)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NSR629
There are newer reviews for The Sebastian - Vail

Reviewed 23 April 2012

My first time in Vail and decided against taking my friends' advice to stay at the Arrabelle or Four Seasons. I can't anything particularly horrible about the Sebastien but I can't say that I would stay there again either. On the positive side -- the concierge service was quite responsive and professional before our arrival for our week-long stay. They made bookings for restaurants and massages and kept in communication with me in the weeks before our trip. The hotel itself, especially the lobby and common areas really are beautiful and well designed. The ski base camp was really top notch. I received great service, great advice when I rented equipment for a few days and was impressed with their professionalism. We actually liked the walk every morning through town to the mountain. Now, the downside: our room, which was not inexpensive and that we booked well in advance was on the ground floor over looking the heating and cooling chimneys, a concrete pad and the building next door and had virtually no natural light. We requested to change rooms and waited two days for another room to become available. The room we moved to was overlooking the hot-tubs and pool. It was a nice size and well appointed however, overlooking the pool and hot-tub at the Sebastian is not for any one who is bothered by noise. The pool and hot tubs were FULL of screaming kids and adults who were unbelievably loud and obnoxious. Groups of people who had brought their own cases of beer that they stashed under the chairs were drunk and shouting, playing football in the pool and were generally obnoxious. The pool staff didn't enforce the policy of not allowing children in hot tubs so the hot tubs were full of splashing children. It was impossible to relax after a long day of skiing pool-side and the noise unbearable in our room as well. I have stayed at top ski resort hotels all over the world and this was the first one where there was so little respect for other guests. The room service and food was quite good however the service was unpredictable and many times things were not brought and we had to call several times to have items delivered. The spa was small-ish. We had massages that were very expensive and quite unremarkable.

The hotel seemed short staffed but the front desk and other staff did seem to be trying to get it right. For $700 dollars a night I guess I just expect more.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bzist
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We spent the first week of our Honeymoon at the Sebastian Vail. On arriival the hotel was very impressive and the staff were great. Very efficient at check in and getting the bags to the room.

As it was our Honeymoon, they had also left a bottle of Prosecco in the room for us which was a very nice touch.

The room was fine, if a little uninspiring even though we had paid for an upgraded room. The hotel is a good 10 mintue walk from the slopes so the Base Camp works really well. The staff at the basecamp and the hotel were very helpful.

However in this type of price bracket, these hotels usually have more character and the staff really get to know you by name. This was never the case in the Sebsastian, despite having breakfast in the hotel everyday, they didnt want to get to know you. The service was fine and efficient, but the staff never wanted to remember who you were or make the effort to talk to you throughout the stay. It was a well oiled machine, just a little faceless.

Its a lovely place, just a bit too corporate and needs more personality.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mr_mrs_smithi
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The hotel is so charming and in a fantastic location. Front desk and Housekeeping service are average to poor.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
alynch84, General Manager at The Sebastian - Vail, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

As the Resort Manager this type of reveiw gives me great pain and keeps me up at night. As you can see from the majority our reviewsd we pride ourselves on exceptional service in all areas, front desk and housekeeping. We obviously failed with you and want to apologize to you.

Please call me directly so we can discuss your issues. You may reach me at 970-477-8094. Thank you very much for your feedback and I look forward to speaking to you Gary O.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We have just returned from a near two weeks stay the Sebastian Vail. All the staff and management we met were very welcoming, warm and responsive to requests. We found it a very friendly, luxury hotel, with an outstanding concierge service. The virtually slope side ski valet service is probably the best we have experienced. Your skis are stored overnight in the "base camp" building which is incorporated in a large cafe about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. By the time you have your ski boots on, your skis are ready and waiting to go at the rear of the building less than a 100 yards walks from the lift. All the public areas in the hotel are very pleasant and perfect for non skiers to relax in. "Frost" Bar is pretty cool. A minor issue we had was immediately and very satisfactorily dealt with by management. Deluxe Plaza room we stayed in didnt really have a view so its worth paying up if the view is important to you. We would certainly recommend staying here and we will be staying here when we return to Vail. Certainly best of the 3 places we have stayed at in Vail.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roomfeedback
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We were greeted at our car by Spencer (who is the creme dela creme of hotel staff). Spencer explained that I could leave my ski gear with him and he would my gear to the hotel's Base Camp (located at the base of the ski slope) were I could pick up my ski gear when I was ready to ski and they would care for my gear when I was not skiing. When I shared with Spencer that I intended to ski Vail on the day of our arrival and ski Breck the remaining days, he said after I was done sking the first day in Vail they would get my ski gear back to the hotel and put it in my car for my trip the Breck the following morning...they did. This same level of service was evident throughout the hotel. While the view from our room wasn't great, we didn't spend muck time looking out of the window. Other than the view, our room was beyond our expectations. The beds and linens were the nicest I have experienced in any hotel. Oh, and did I mention the awesome staff!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2012

First timers to Vail and have to say it was a lot of fun. The Sebastian hotel has customer service on another level. From the reservations desk to the valet guys and then the front desk and concierge service all do an excellent job at making your stay a great one. The hotel is beautiful and has everything you need including multiple hot tubs :) It seems all of Vail is within walking distance no matter what mountainside hotel you're staying at, the Sebastian included. You can walk to the mountain, restaurants, and shops all within minutes. I would definitely recommend making this hotel your choice.

I have to make a special mention of Terry at the reservations desk who was very accommodating in helping me reserve my hotel stay and then left us with an amazing sweet treat in our room upon arrival. Unfortunately, I never got to personally thank her but was hoping this was the next best thing. Thank you!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vail
0.1 km away
0.9 km away
Manor Vail Lodge
Manor Vail Lodge
#4 of 30 in Vail

Been to The Sebastian - Vail? Share your experiences!