1,265 results
All reviews bully ranch swiss chalet fondue oxygen bar blue spruce suite king's club cookies heated floors spa area turn down service breakfast buffet junior suite ski haus the indoor outdoor pool european feel favorite hotel ski concierge
Reviewed June 13, 2018

Recently held a business conference at the Sonnenalp and it was a huge success thanks to the gorgeous meeting and hotel rooms, the amazing food, the lovely location, and the fabulous staff. The Sonnenalp staff are very attentive and helpful at every turn. I am ready to plan a trip back with my family so they can experience "Gemutlichkeit" at the Sonnenalp Hotel!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2018 via mobile

Mark Banks, our server at the Sonnenalp resort’s Swiss Chalet in Vail, Colorado was the best example of hospitality. He made my celebration for my 80th birthday with my daughter special. He was attentive, informative, funny, and entertaining. When a server creates moments to remember, you never forget it. Even when we were too full for dessert, Mark surprised us with two chocolate covered strawberries with a lighted candle and a small chocolate bar that had Happy Birthday inscribed on it.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2018 via mobile

Sonnenalp is my favorite place to stay in Vail Village. Excellent service, great rooms, with a fantastic spa. The spa books up quick so make your appointment early. Can’t wait to return to this special place.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2018

Our family was in Vail for a wedding and we had the pleasure of staying at the Sonnenalp. From the moment you check in to the moment you check out, everything is absolutely first class. The bathroom floors are heated, there is a beautiful fireplace in the room - it is centrally located for walking and strolling. We had excellent meals and drinks at both restaurants and their breakfast on Sunday was FABULOUS. They do take their hospitality duties very seriously from freshening your ice bucket at night to laying out your robe and slippers on a nice mat at the end of the bed.. even closing the curtains. and freshening the linens.. Did I mention that they also leave homemade chocolate chip cookies and fresh water at night.. we did not want to go home..

Room tip: All of the rooms are nice but ask for one of the ones that face the street so you can open your door and watch people stroll by
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2018

Sonnenalp is a beautiful hotel located in scenic Vail, Colorado. I would like to rate them a 4.5, because for me, they just fell short of the perfect 5. The great things about this hotel, that I did like very much, were the spacious rooms, the outstanding staff (who helped me zipped my dress in a pinch), and I loved the entertainment in the bar with the singer John Dunn -- he was great!! The breakfast buffet, while pricey at $26 per person, was delicious and filling.

Now here's where Sonnenalp fell slightly short for me. The pillows were terrible. They were soft and flat, and I requested more, and they too, were soft and flat. I stayed there 3 nights, and just couldn't get a good sleep. Also, the room was consistently quite warm, and we tried adjusting the thermostat, but to no avail. The room was always comfortable when we went to bad, but it got warmer as the night went on.

I did get a massage here with Mark, which was excellent. I paid for the massage, however, it was very awkward, when I wanted to tip Mark -- there was no envelope for me to discreetly put his tip and write a short note. I had to give the tip to the spa staff who put it in a re-used envelope. I hope Mark got it -- this was just a weird situation.

Also, I dislike the resort fee of $35 per day. I know it's common to have this extra charge, and it feels like a way to get more money from me. Last but not least, upon several people's recommendation, we ordered the mudslide drink from the Bully Ranch Bar. A mudslide should be in a tall glass, with chocolate drizzled on the inside, topped with whipped cream. Ours came in a short, squat glass, and was an unappealing grey color. No chocolate, no whip cream. It tasted ok -- I expected better though from the resort.

So if I'm critiquing the mudslide, overall it was a good stay -- a solid 4.5, and I would even return if I had the chance. It is in a beautiful setting, and the staff are really, really nice!

Date of stay: May 2018