“Basic, Clean, Great Staff, Close to Lifts”
Review of Lift House Lodge

Lift House Lodge
Ranked #6 of 39 Speciality Lodging in Vail
Ohio
“Basic, Clean, Great Staff, Close to Lifts”
Reviewed 10 January 2010

This was my first trip to Vail, and I told the reservation agent I wanted something inexpensive (for Vail), within walking distance of the lift. Skiing was the priority, not the room. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the room. It was very clean, with good quality furnishings. And it was certainly close - less than a minute's walk. I was also very pleased with the staff - they greeted me by name throughout my stay, and were helpful in providing information on ski rental, local breakfast places, restaurants, etc. I definitely would return. By the way, for an early breakfast, I highly recommend the Tavern on the Square in the Arrabelle hotel. It opens at 6:30 and the buffet is wonderful. I also recommend the Montauk Grill for dinner, in the same building as the Lift House. Save money by staying at the Lift House and spend it at the wonderful restaurants at Vail instead. One more thing - if bars are not your thing, there isn't much else to do in Vail at night. Bring your own DVD's as there is no place local to rent them.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Ok, if you have not been to Vail or don't understand just how pricey Vail is, you kinda' need to reset your baseline before reading this review or any other review of The Lifthouse. I've read several reviews here on TripAdvisor indicating that the rating of the hotel is too high (apparently some sites have it listed as a three or four star hotel?). Well, bottom line is this: The Lifthouse is two star accomodations at a five star location. The Lifthouse is located in the heart of Lionshead, about a 50 yard walk to the Gondola, just above Bart and Yeti's (bar/restaurant). Over the years I've stayed in many locations in/around Vail (from West Vail, to Lionshead, to Vail Village, to East Vail) -- Lionshead is a great location, and The Lifthouse is a great location in Lionshead. Ok, so it's a great location, what else can I tell you?

Rooms
They're small. I don't know about you, but when I'm skiing, I pretty much collapse when I get back to the room, so the room size was not an issue for my wife and I. If there had been three or four of us (the rooms have a queen bed + a queen pull-out couch), the size of the room would have been an issue. Don't expect to cram four people into a room at The Lifthouse unless they know and like each other very well, or are in college and used to being on top of one another.

Our room had a kitchenette (small mini--fridge, small electric stove, microwave, sink), small flat panel LCD TV, and gas fireplace. Our balcony over-looked Bart & Yeti's and we had a pretty straight shot view of the front of the mountain and the Gondola. Overall, great location/view.

Condition/Amenities
This is a pretty "no frills" condo. They used to have a fitness room, but closed it. The (indoor) hot tub, while big, is surrounded in green astro-turf. The condition of the units, while well kept and maintained, is late-80s. Two stars is an accurate rating. Good basic decor, nothing special.

Price
We got (what I consider to be) a great rate of roughly $215/night for spring break week. Downside: some actual college kids were in the three rooms next to us, and the official Lifthouse policy is (apparently) that "quiet time" starts at midnight.

Staff
The cleaning staff were good (though we opted for only every-other-day cleaning), and the front desk staff/resident manager (Kevin) were knowledgeable and helpful. We experienced absolutely none of the rudeness that other reviews have mentioned. So, I suspect, as with many other things, it's either "luck of the draw" or "you get what you give".

Overall, we would stay here again -- but we tend to like to experiment and try new places. The Lifthouse is a solid "go to" accommodation (in terms of value and location). If you are looking for Westin-type accomodations and service, this is not the place for you. If you're mostly interested in a great location, are ski-focussed, and perks and feeling like someone is treating you like a VIP aren't important . . . The Lifthouse is a solid choice.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dhodory
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed here the first week of February and loved it. The price is very reasonable for Vail. We booked through vail's website and got a good package deal with air, transport, hotel and lift tickets. The Lifthouse is located in Lionshead Village not in Vail Village. The gondola and another chair lift is a two minute walk from the hotel. The location cannot be beat, especially for the price. Everything was right there that you needed. Restaurants, bars (Bart & Yetis below hotel), general store, liquor store, ski stores etc. We only went to Vail Village on our last night just to see it and have dinner. Everything you need is in Lionshead if you don't want to spend all the money in Vail Village, but Lionshead it is expensive.
As for the room, we were surprised to see how big it was. A comfortable queen bed was there when you first walked in, then a large wardrobe/partion type thing seperated the rest of the room from the bed. The living room had a couch a nice flat screen TV with cable and HBO, a small kitchenette with pots pans etc. and a small eating area for 4. There was also a nice balcony with a highball table and two chairs overlooking the Lionshead square area and part of the mountain. The place was a little older but spotless. Bathroom spacious, clean and nice.
You also can also keep your skis in your room and walk through the hotel with your ski boots. No need to to put them in a public ski room in the basement or pay to store them at the mountain. The hot tub was old and not outside. But it was big (12 person I think) and was warm enough. Had the hot tub to ourselves 3 out of 4 times. No breakfast at the hotel. The French Deli/bakery was perfect for breakfast which was a one minute walk from the hotel and the Little Diner was also great for breakfast. Both places about $20-30 for breakfast for two.
The front desk help couldn't have been better. Kevin was extremely helpful and let us check in early. He also mapped out everything we could need in the area and gave great recomendations for breakfasts and dinners. He even remembered our names days later. Other desk help was also great.
Overall, we had a great time and will go back to the Lifthouse when we go back to Vail. Only bad thing is Vail is EXPENSIVE!!!! The mountain is also great. So much terrain, plenty for everyone of all levels.

• Liked — Location and value
  • Disliked — Just the prices in Vail
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kemosabe41
Greentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 March 2008

The main reason we chose the Lifthouse for our Vail ski vacation was the proximity to the Gondola. We were not disappointed with that. Our room (214) looked out directly at the Gondola, so we knew we were close. They are very accurate that they are less than 75 yds. to the Gondola. That was key for us. So as far as location, the Lifthouse was excellent. We walked down 2 flights of stairs and were out at the gondola by 8:15 every morning ready to roll.

The Lifthouse studio room was perfect for two people. We came to ski.....so the only time we were in the room was basically when we were sleeping.......and the room was comfortable. It had the small stove, microwave and small fridge...perfect for what we needed for two ski bums. The room should not be considered luxury...but we knew that coming in....and that is not what we wanted anyway. So for us, it was perfect.

Recommendations for dinner (pub fare) in Lionshead/Vail Village:

We ate at Bart/Yeti's (Lionshead)......good burger, cold beer....cool atmosphere.

We ate at Los Amigo's (Vail Village).....very good Mexican food.....would go back again in a heartbeat.

We ate at Blue Moose Pizza (Lionshead).....incredible pizza.....the last day there we ate there for lunch and dinner......Awesome.

All in all.......If I were to come back to Vail (I will be).....I would stay at the Lifthouse again.........it had everything it advertised...and the location cannot be beat. If I wanted luxury, I would stay at the Arrabelle......but the Lifthouse is all I need for a ski vacation.

Hope this review helps...........

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank UTPOW
Costa Mesa, CA
Reviewed 12 February 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Lifthouse from January 29 through February 3, 2008, and had a wonderful stay! Our room faced the slopes and although a newly built condo complex was built right in front of us, we still had a view of the mountain to the side of the building, as well as a nice view of the Lionshead Plaza beneath us. The room was also exceptionally clean and very well-maintained; perfect for the two of us. The staff was friendly and helpful at all times. We had a problem one night with a room below us in which the TV was left on at a very loud volume, but the night manager was on top of it immediately and it was resolved.

The location of the condo in relation to the slopes was outstanding! We literally walked out the back door and within a few seconds, we were at the gondola. There were restaurants and shops all around us, and it was also only a 10 minute walk to Vail Village. It could not have been better.

We would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants an affordable place to stay in Vail AND be within walking distance to the slopes! The Lifthouse is a real bargain.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PS-MK
Miami
Reviewed 6 February 2008

My husband and I stayed five nights at the end of January and were not disappointed. The location is great, very close to the Eagle Bahn gondola, with several ski rental locations nearby (I used Double Diamond and was very pleased, on the way to the gondola and free overnight ski storage). While the Lionshead area in general is not as busy as Vail Village, it was no problem to take the free shuttle bus to the village, only 5 minute ride away. The studio room, with balcony, was fine for 2, however, for me, it would be too crowded for four adults, even though the sofa opened up to a queen bed. The rates are very reasonable and the front desk assistance was great. Kevin was very helpful, recommending restaurants and pointing out places to visit. The best meal we had was in the next building, Arrabelle, at a restaurant called Chop House. It was so good we ate there three times, once for lunch and two dinners. The kitchen in the studio would handle all three meals of the day, although it did not have an oven. We used it only for breakfast--who wants to cook dinner on vacation! And I was out skiing at lunchtime. We took the shuttle from Eagle airport so cannot comment on parking. All in all, a very pleasant stay with a great location for a great price. I did not encounter any rudeness on the part of any employee as indicated in a prior post. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — location, large enough for our needs, helpful staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pagetraveler
princeton, nj
Reviewed 30 December 2007

The Lifthouse in Lionshead village at Vail is reasonably priced and conveniently located. With that said I would have to recommend that travelers avoid it at all costs.

I think, actually, that the sign over the front desk sums up their attitude pretty accurately. It reads "for those of you who would like to haggle we will gladly raise the price so we can give you a discount". Most service establishments at least have the courtesy of hiding their [----] to the customers in the back office.

The staff is consistantly rude and uncaring about even the most reasonable needs of it's visitors.

What's really odd is that the staff and owner vascillate so extremely in their treatment of guests, not from guest to guest but moment to moment. One minute they seem just like any desk staff at any hotel (although the front area is closed off between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m) and the next minute they are short and offensive. Example: there is a computer in the main lobby since their is no internet accessability in the hotel rooms. Whenever my son would go to use the computer it would be pointed out to him that there is a 10 minute limit-even when there was no one else around

The only explanation we can think of, having met the owner, is that he is off his mood stabilizers and has a policy of hiring only his lithium resistant family and friends. On a day that we asked for room clean up we returned to the room to find a nasty note that skis should
be left outside (the first and last we heard of this policy-even the front desk had never heard of it) and 4 large garbage cans left in the
middle of the room (I kid you not).

Decent location. Decent prices. SCUZZY jacuzzi. Twilight Zone staff. Don't say you haven't been warned.

P.S.-Don't bother asking for a late checkout-such ridiculous requests (even though their paperwork says you can have it for $75) don't even merit eye contact from the owner as he tells you off.

• Liked — location, price
  • Disliked — staff, amenities
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank simskiscuba
packyVail_co, packy walker General Manager/ owner at Lift House Lodge, responded to this review, 25 February 2009
I have never written a response to any reviews, but this individual 's family was the most trash throwing people that I have ever delt with in my 37 years as the general manager of the lifthouse condominiums.
Packy walker