Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$130
Expedia.comUS$130
PricelineUS$110
TravelocityUS$130
CheapTicketsUS$130
Orbitz.comUS$130
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 18, 2019

So you can check other reviews I've written and none are close to this. I'll start with the good. Owner or Manager seems to care...maybe.
So starting with check in-manager perhaps the owner said for cash, he would pay our tax. Okay so into his pocket the cash goes, I doubt that's making the business report and taxes for CT. Next up the electronic key to door does not work, manager blames Chinese locks, we get a new key after he lets us in with his master (I check it before our departure out for the evening and it does not work, back to get another key). The door to bathroom is hard to open as the floor is warped so you have to pull hard to get it open. Dirty light switch as you come in the door, dirty window sills (like have not been cleaned all Summer perhaps), dusty TV/DVD player, whiskers in the sink (not mine), light on side of bed not working (switch broken), handle to dresser not fully attached. Most of these I can be disappointed with and cumulatively they are concerning. Final straw was actually plastic trash in bed! Yep no way that bed had clean sheets put on!! Now if it had been earlier in the evening I found the last one, I would have made a change immediately, but due to the hour we just slept on top of the bed in clothes and called it a learning experience. Upon check out I shared my findings with the same manager who said "okay, thanks" That was going to be it, until while walking out amazed that he didn't want to do anything more for us I asked him if he thought the $150 for the night was the right price for someone to pay for this? He then chased down his wallet and gave me $30 back.

Room tip: Find a different place!
Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed October 15, 2018

Checked in our room. Was referred by Expedia. Thought it would be great since we were sent by Expedia. We got in our room after giving them our Credit card. It had at least 25 -50 spiders on the ceiling. He gave us the key to the other rooms and they were the same. Asked for our money back because we were not staying. The request was refused. We stopped payment on card but after a review Citi Card does not refund money because of the quality of the room. They should have not sent us there in the first place because of reviews of the Hitching Post.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2018

went this past weekend for the Harlem Valley Rail Ride in Millerton NY, this place was actually reasonably priced compared to places closer to the start line, but over priced for a MOTEL, and for the quality of motel, in desperate need of repairs, at least the lonely motel attendant was friendly and when I realized the toilet wasnt flushing in the first room he gave us, he told us pick any other room you want, luckily when we got there the entire motel was empty so we got our pick by looking in every door, so the room next to the first one was perfect, small shower but who needs much for one night, beds were comfy at least and the bedding was clean, no bugs to my surprise, so if you staying one night, I recommend, I mean it is a MOTEL so dont expect much...there are always INNS at like $300 a night if thats what you plan on spending for one night. WIFI was fine, if your one to complain about wifi going out, MUST be your crappy phone, but if you want to disconnect from the world for a day who cares about WIFI....

Room tip: DONT GET THE KING...theres only one, and the bed is bigger than the room
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2017

I've traveled to many places in the world but I wasn't ready for the Hitching Post. This place is 1960s on the outside and 1940s inside. My room was, as measured, 12 x 12 feet -- so small I had to step outside to change my mind.
The room smelled heavily of bleach, the sink was very slow to drain, electrical outlets were loose in the wall, the very small bathroom had unpainted plaster patches on the walls, the "free WiFi" cut out regularly requiring another log-in, the deadbolt on the door didn't work ... I could go on and the list is extensive.
The motel might be a value at $80 - 85 per nite but the rates over $100 are not justified. Although advertised, there are no discounts (AARP, AAA, etc.) Also, the owner suggested I could eliminate the substantial state taxes by paying cash at the counter. Eh, no!

Only consider this place if you don't want to sleep in your car. Even then, if you have a nice car, rethink your choice.

Room tip: If you are staying here, you have no good choices. And you've already made a bad choice.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank J T
Reviewed August 13, 2017

The rooms at this motel are slightly larger than the beds in them, and the bathrooms are extremely tiny. However, everything is clean and the price is reasonable. AT hikers can get shuttle assistance, and there is a good general store next door.

Date of stay: July 2017