Granby Motel(Granby)
US$65
Hotels.com
All reviewswhirlpool tublarge bathroomgreat conversationdouble sinksspent one nightpleasant staywaynehostsconnecticutsuite
Reviewed December 5, 2016

Stayed here on business. Great Inn, cute room, very clean. The WiFi was excellent for business needs. Great hospitality with easy parking and access to nearby restaurants. I would highly recommend this inn and will be staying here again in the near future.

Room Tip: The rooms are on the first floor for easy access.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Wayne-TGHBB, Manager at Truman Gillet House B & B, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2017

Kim and I try to make our guests feel at home while here as we know what we'd like to have when we've using other B & B's during our travels. It sounds like we're getting it pretty close.

Reviewed September 27, 2016

My sister and I had to make an unexpected trip to Granby and found this great B&B on the web. Wayne and Kim could not have been more gracious! We loved staying in the Connecticut Room with the large private bath including a jacuzzi tub. Our breakfast was delicious and they were so gracious in accommodating our dietary requirements. We look forward to staying there in the future!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Wayne-TGHBB, Owner at Truman Gillet House B & B, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2016

It's always easy to be good hosts when we have such great guests like we get. I know when we go stay at B & B's it the personalities of the hosts that make the stay memorial. Kim and I always try to put ourselves in the guests shoes so that we know how they would like to be treated. We've had many interesting dietary requirement requests and with a little lead time we've done pretty good at meeting those needs.

Besides the standard everyday requests we've had some more strange ones I can share here. No octipuss, no orange fruit, everything cooked had to have desperate pans and utensils for each item. And one guest's wife couldn't wait for her husband to get off the "raw" diet. The most memorable was when we told an guest that he could have gluten free blueberry pancakes and french toast. He said he hadn't eaten any pancakes or french toast in over 25 years. He didn't even know about Bob's Red Mill products for the wheat sensitive and gluten free people.

Reviewed September 21, 2016

Wonderful breakfast and very warm hosts make the Truman Gillet House B&B worth a stop. The house is small and charming. Built in 1805, the owners have maintained the historical nature of the property from the simple elegant furnishings down to the original doors and door handles of the rooms. A very nice stay. The property is close to a busy street so I would recommend staying in the Connecticut Suite since it is in the back of the house and away from the traffic.

Room Tip: I would recommend checking into the Connecticut Suite since it is in the back of the house away from the street.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo

Sammy is correct the back bedroom is quieter. It always amazes my how it's all in the guests prospective. I try to always ask how the guest's night sleep was and to my surprise how many times guests tell me that it was the most comfortable bed they've ever slept on. I may mention that I was sorry of a load vehicle or motorcycle that went by during the night and again more times than I can count I'm told that they didn't even hear it or that this is quieter compare to where they live in the city.

Back in the time of building the house they repurposed many items. We have areas in the closets that have different types of floor moldings in the same continuous run. There are doors with hinge marks and holes on both sides of the doors and one door is installed upside down. Another was too short and they added a few inches of wood to the bottom. Almost every door is a different thickness with many having different styles of door handles. Waste not, wait not.

Reviewed September 21, 2016

Wayne and Kim sure know how to make folks feel welcome! We had a most comfortable and quiet stay in the beautiful Connecticut countryside. Great location in such a quiet setting, yet just a short distance to Bradley International Airport. And, oh, those pancakes!!! Delicious! We would love to go back.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Thank Christine L. N

Christine, The pancakes are "Delicious!" because my Mom would invite us kids into the kitchen to make whatever we were requesting to eat. So by the time I got married to Kim I could bake blue berry and black berry pies from scratch with the crust, no store bought stuff here. I could make sour dough bread and have a thanksgiving diner come to the table with everything hot on time. My sister would ask me to make my Mom's Ice Rolls for the holidays. That's what we called them, they're dinner rolls made with ice cubes floating in the water used to keep the dough cold while mixing it.

I'll share how I make the pancakes with anyone that's interested. You know what I just did? I wrote out the whole method of making good pancakes, but then I erased it. You'll have to come here and I can explain why I was taught to do it differently than most of the cookbooks. My Mom must have been doing something right as I get told by guests using her method "And, oh, those pancakes!!! Delicious!"

Reviewed September 6, 2016

My review is long overdue, but better late than never! I stayed at the Truman Gillet House B&B about a month ago for one night on business. My schedule doesn't allow for me to provide an exact arrival time, but Wayne and Kim were very understanding and accommodating to my schedule. Kim walked me through everything when I arrived and later on in the evening Wayne gave me a history of the house. I had never stayed anywhere that was over 200 years old. I loved it! Great location, beautiful home, and wonderful hosts! I would absolutely stay here again and look forward to my next visit! Oh, and the breakfast was so delicious!!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business

Jen was interested in the house so I gave her a brief history of it. Many families have lived here and each owner of this house has left their foot prints in the sands of time. My wife Kim and I are just stewards of the house while we're here. We've had over 650 guests so far stay a night to just about a month, during that time I like to share what we know of the house and the original builder Truman Gillet, a cooper by trade.