“Late night-Not a great night”
Review of Penang Grill - CLOSED

Penang Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2016

We tried this pals a long time ago an after many years we went back with some friends who love this place.

Our experience wasn't great before, nor was it this time.

But let's be fair. We called them from a movie and warned we would be late. But frankly they shouldn't have started to serve us and then tried to rush our meal because the chef wanted to go home.

I again expected that the food was inspired by Penang, usually Malaysian cuisine, but the server didn't even know what "Flamed Water Spinach" (Convulvus) was

The Szechuan dumpling starter was average.

My friends had two kind of Thai curry, one chicken and one vegetable. I didn't bother to order and we shared three main dishes.

My wife had stir fried rice which was okay.

So we did not have a chance to fully evaluate the restaurant and will go back and do that some other time.

In fairness, they also didn't try very hard either. So for anyone reading this let's just call it a broken play, to be continued.

Reviewed October 26, 2015

While still very good, this pales in comparison to their sister restaurant down the block, Thai Basil, which has a better menu variety selection, is warmer and has better service. The BYOB with no corkage though is a Penang Grill advantage.

Reviewed August 22, 2015

When I feel like eating Asian food this is the place to go. This place has great food, excellent/kind service, good prices, peaceful ambience. My favorite dish is the Spicy Mango Sauce with scallops, YUM!! You will not regret it!!

Reviewed May 11, 2015

Penang is one of the best places for a tasty and quick lunch near Greenwich Avenue. The lunch specials are all very good especially the mango, curry and ginger sauce variations being really outstanding. The vegetables are very fresh and the food is always delicious. Service is quick so you can get in and out in under 45 minutes if you choose to do so. I am a regular and find the experience to be consistently good.

Reviewed February 16, 2015

While staying at the Stanton House Inn, we fancied Oriental food for dinner one night. We checked out the book of menus at the B & B's registration desk and selected the Penang Grill, as being the best option in Greenwich, CT.

As a result, I ordered the following for three of us: miso soup for one friend and hot and sour soup for myself and my other friend; then three entrees to share: shrimp & black mushrooms; duck and mango; chicken with mixed greens and mushrooms. All entrees were very good and plentiful. In fact, there was so much food, we offered some to another guest, staying at the inn, and we even ended up taking some of the food home with us. It made a wonderful lunch the next day.

What was outstanding about the Penang Grill, however, was the obliging and charming owner, who, personally, delivered our food to the dining room at the Stanton House, even though one of us should have gone out on this freezing cold December evening and picked it up in person! I had mistakenly thought that they delivered… but it was no problem for the Penang Grill.

Kudos to this restaurant for their cheerful delivery service, as well as their spicy, tasty, and excellent food.