“Great lunch and always freshly prepared.”

No photo provided
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 26, 2017

I had a small salad and Prince Edward Island mussels that were incredible. Great wine list and beautiful setting. Very good prices considering, location, quality and super service.

Date of visit: February 2017

Reviewed December 5, 2016

My husband and I attempted to have lunch at the Wadsworth Atheneum restaurant. The décor is perfect for a museum café. It appeared clean and updated. We were quickly seated at a nice table by the window that looks out to a courtyard. There was a ratio of about 2-3 tables per server and the restaurant was about ¾ occupied. After sitting, we waited and waited and waited. We enviously observed other patrons giving drink and food orders that arrived after us. We observed them getting their drinks and some food. Not one visit to our table occurred. We noticed the servers spent a great deal of time chatting it up with diners at other tables, returning many times to a table to check in and cater to their needs. I’m thinking, OK, eventually they will get to us and we will be treated in the same manner. One group of servers took the time to sing Happy Birthday to a patron at a table next to ours as we sat in complete awe that we were completely ignored. We were unable to get anyone’s attention as they whizzed by us. This went on for well more than a half hour. It got to the point where we were waving our hands for sport just to see how nobody saw us. Jokingly I was waving my red purse over my head to see if that got anyone’s attention. We were trying to make the best out of a bad situation and the bizarre level of service by this restaurant. Finally a woman from the front came and asked us if everything was OK. We explained our situation and she apologetically took our order and offered us free drinks. We only wanted water. We were getting extremely hungry and uncomfortable. People were already eating that were seated after us. She assured us our food would be out shortly. Then we waited and waited and waited. By this time people that had arrived after us were finishing up their meals. After maybe another 15-20 minutes our two hamburger plates came out. The meat was undercooked and blood red and we had ordered medium. We sent both plates back to the kitchen. My husband was so disgusted he left the restaurant. I stayed because I had to eat something due to low blood sugar. They immediately brought me a bowl of soup and croutons which was very good. Then they brought me a turkey sandwich which I had not ordered. The hamburger order disappeared. It was all very strange. I gave up and just ate the sandwich. By the time I got something to eat many patrons had departed the cafe. I don't think this poor treatment was specifically directed at us but the wait staff was too focused on other people's service. Apparently we were not assigned a waiter upon arrival and fell through the cracks but the degree of obliviousness combined with the lack of kitchen quality added up to an extremely unpleasant buzz kill to a nice day at the museum. We never did have a designated wait staff person even after they realized we were forgotten. I asked for the bill and they gave me my meal at no charge. What an unpleasant experience for multiple reasons!

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed November 3, 2016

Beautiful space, sophisticated menu and great service. Not your typical "museum cafeteria" at all! Make sure to try the cheese plate-so satisfying!

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed July 31, 2016

Ate here after touring the museum and had a relaxing, fresh and tasty lunch. We were served by two waitresses. - One seemed a bit harassed; the other was personable and excellent.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed April 24, 2016

This museum needs a cafe, a place you can get a sandwich and a coffee. Not just a full service restaurant. After looking at the menu prices we decided to leave and find something else. However, Hartford is deserted on Sundays and almost nothing is open. So we returned here. I'd agree with another reviewer who said the place looked shabby. Yet you pay white tablecloth restaurant prices. The burger is good value but everything else is overpriced and not worth it. My wife's lobster pierogies each had only a very tiny morsel of lobster. My pho was bland and tasteless until I poured in the sauces, at which point all I could taste was sriracha. Lots of broth, little else. And we had to wait for quite some time to get even those items.

Wadsworth, get a cafe. for people who came to look at art, not go to a restaurant.

Date of visit: April 2016