Mercy Center at Madison
US$94
US$89
US$80
US$75
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 20, 2015

My company came here for a retreat and, boy, was it a retreat in the strictest sense of the term. We were able to accomplish so much without the distractions of phones, computers, etc. This is not a luxury spa or elegant hotel. Its former role as a convent is very much in evidence.

Our meeting room was lovely, with a couch and comfy upholstered chairs. It wasn't too fancy, and kind of reminded me of a sparsely decorated living room. We were greeted with way too much food for breakfast, which included an assortment of breads, boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, instant oatmeal, teas and coffee, and a big pitcher of orange juice. The facility was very quiet, and our picture window overlooked a yard and the Sound. Later in the afternoon, someone brought by a large bowl of popcorn for us.

Lunch was simple and somewhat Spartan, consisting of a salad bar and an assortment of tuna, egg, and pasta salad. There was also fresh bread and pea soup. All was delicious, and I am a pretty harsh judge of salads. There were cookies available for dessert. The dining room is shared by all people staying at the Center, and has large windows and lots of natural light. It was quiet despite several groups dining at the large tables.

The grounds are what makes the Mercy Center elegant. They're not overly maintained as in many resorts. It's a fairly natural landscape with big, old trees and a beach that was devoid of even a single piece of trash. It was hard to go back inside after a break to look at shells and listen to the waves crashing against the rocks.

As many reviewers have stated, the Mercy Center is not for everyone. I cannot imagine children or the average teen staying here, nor will visitors who happily treat their phones as extensions of their bodies be comfortable with the "no phones" rule. I highly recommend the Mercy Center for individuals or groups in need of disconnecting from technology and connecting to themselves and each other.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Traveller2010NYC
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I recently spent three days at a work retreat at Mercy Center. The location was amazing with a really nice staff. I stayed in the house, which had a wonderful kitchen, wraparound deck, and beautiful views. The property has numerous places inside and out that were wonderful to read or just relax. Unfortunately the weather was not great. This is a place I would revisit in the better weather

Room Tip: make sure you have a room facing the water
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank marlotowers
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Mercy Center is an oasis in our crazy busy lives. I've spent the day there many times but this was my first overnight stay. It was pure bliss....simple, quiet time for reflection, reading and writing. The food was simple and delicious. Keep in mind that this is not a hotel. It is a spiritual retreat center with a small dedicated staff. After two days, I felt like I'd spent a week on St. John (my favorite place) It is not for everyone. For the right person it is a piece of heaven.

Marji Shapiro

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank MarjiShapiro
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I recently spent 2 days at Mercy Center, in the beginning of the week, and got much more than I paid for. Mercy Center is a delightful respite, a great place to escape - clear your head and lift your soul. I found myself totally refreshed as Mercy Center allowed me to leave my cares behind. I did not mind at all that there was no TV or telephone. I fell asleep to the sound of the ocean waves hitting the shore because the ocean is that close!! Mercy Center takes advantage of their beautiful surroundings throughout the grounds. Yes, there were people there as part of a staff retreat but the grounds are so large that you barely knew they were there. I plan on going back in August and also visited the grounds for the day once a month throughout the summer. The accommodations were clean and private. The staff was very pleasant and could not do enough to make our stay the best. And it was. I strongly recommend Mercy Center.

Room Tip: The Tower Room, which is Mrs. Grant's former room, is the best room - 2 porches, a table, microwave and large bed.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank KathyChristianson
Reviewed March 11, 2013

To get anyone to return an inquiry be it phone or email was nearly impossible. Over a dozen contacts for nothing! A drive to the property showed it delapidated and hardly able to accept guests of any sort. There must be a benefactor that just pours money into this place in spite of itself! Too bad, would have been perfect for our gathering. Hopefully at some point, someone at Mercy center will show inquiries some mercy so the surroundings can be enjoyed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family