See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 26, 2016

This is not a hotel. It is a retreat and conference center where silence and serenity is practiced. Rooms do not have hotel amenities. Perfect place to escape from the noise of our everyday lives and unplug.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
4  Thank RosemaryJ173
Reviewed January 25, 2016 via mobile

Pretty hotel in great location. I stayed her with my husband and teenage daughter. The staff was very friendly. The only problem was the room offered two doubles. We found the room tastefully decorated, but the beds were too small for two people to share. They should offer two queen beds in the rooms instead.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Colleen C
Reviewed October 20, 2015

My company came here for a retreat and, boy, was it a retreat in the strictest sense of the term. We were able to accomplish so much without the distractions of phones, computers, etc. This is not a luxury spa or elegant hotel. Its former role as a convent is very much in evidence.

Our meeting room was lovely, with a couch and comfy upholstered chairs. It wasn't too fancy, and kind of reminded me of a sparsely decorated living room. We were greeted with way too much food for breakfast, which included an assortment of breads, boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, instant oatmeal, teas and coffee, and a big pitcher of orange juice. The facility was very quiet, and our picture window overlooked a yard and the Sound. Later in the afternoon, someone brought by a large bowl of popcorn for us.

Lunch was simple and somewhat Spartan, consisting of a salad bar and an assortment of tuna, egg, and pasta salad. There was also fresh bread and pea soup. All was delicious, and I am a pretty harsh judge of salads. There were cookies available for dessert. The dining room is shared by all people staying at the Center, and has large windows and lots of natural light. It was quiet despite several groups dining at the large tables.

The grounds are what makes the Mercy Center elegant. They're not overly maintained as in many resorts. It's a fairly natural landscape with big, old trees and a beach that was devoid of even a single piece of trash. It was hard to go back inside after a break to look at shells and listen to the waves crashing against the rocks.

As many reviewers have stated, the Mercy Center is not for everyone. I cannot imagine children or the average teen staying here, nor will visitors who happily treat their phones as extensions of their bodies be comfortable with the "no phones" rule. I highly recommend the Mercy Center for individuals or groups in need of disconnecting from technology and connecting to themselves and each other.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Traveller2010NYC
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I recently spent three days at a work retreat at Mercy Center. The location was amazing with a really nice staff. I stayed in the house, which had a wonderful kitchen, wraparound deck, and beautiful views. The property has numerous places inside and out that were wonderful to read or just relax. Unfortunately the weather was not great. This is a place I would revisit in the better weather

Room Tip: make sure you have a room facing the water
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank marlotowers
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Mercy Center is an oasis in our crazy busy lives. I've spent the day there many times but this was my first overnight stay. It was pure bliss....simple, quiet time for reflection, reading and writing. The food was simple and delicious. Keep in mind that this is not a hotel. It is a spiritual retreat center with a small dedicated staff. After two days, I felt like I'd spent a week on St. John (my favorite place) It is not for everyone. For the right person it is a piece of heaven.

Marji Shapiro