“Hard to find but then, no surprises”

Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Meriden
Reviewed 29 May 2017

ESA Hartford is something of a misnomer. It is around 20 minutes from downtown Hartford, and that is under perfect conditions. In rush hour, it could be double. Not easily located, as it's on Bee Street. (Look for the Mobil and Gulf stations flanking Bee on Main St.) Then it's about 1/2 mile. Used it for an event in Middletown, about 10 minutes from ESA. Pretty clean facility. Solid mattress. Hot water so-so. (Very hot, not too much pressure.) Full kitchens but you need to ask for anything and I mean ANYTHING you;ll need. My room had exactly one plastic cup, and that was it. Breakfast was coffee and breakfast bars. That said, the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Not much else there to review.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms may be feet from car engines parked outside.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
00esa, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are glad our location was convenient for your event and that we were able to please you with our clean facilities and friendly service. To ensure cleanliness of kitchenware upon check-in, brand standards require us to make these items available at the front desk rather than leaving them in the suites. Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We hope that you overall pleasant stay will bring you back to our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

The 800 number messed up our reservations and the folks at the front desk had to fix them, including the price.
The heating and air is fine. The outlets are poorly placed and there are not enough of them. They are also loose.
The free wifi is practically non existant.
They should never advertise free wifi, when you have to pay, per day, to get anything that is even remotely comparable to other hotels.
Just because you have wifi, that doesn't mean it's fast.
McDonalds wifi is faster.
I had to wait for 30 minutes to load a 10 minute Youtube video. That is ridiculous!
The kitchen cabinets are old and outdated. The fridge is old and outdated. The appliances are old and outdated.
It says: dining and cooking utensils provided.
There were enough dishes for one person even though there are two beds in the room. And two men are using those 2 beds.
Again, ridiculous!
There wasn't enough silverware either, for 2 people.
There is no spatula. 1 steak knife that we have to pass it back and forth when eating. There was 1 tablespoon, and no teaspoons. REALLY??? We had enough coffee cups.
There was 1 LOUSY BOWL. Come on!!!
The towels are like sandpaper.
When I went to the front desk, to ask for softer towels, he said, "we dont have soft towels".
The pillows were fine and the bedding was fine.
They are comfortable.
It says: Free grab-and-go breakfast, ok you got me there.
The breakfast, is store bought muffins and granola bars. And they have coffee.
Oh, wait they have oatmeal.
For over $700 a week, the amenities are ridiculous!!!
Laundry is $2 to wash and $2 to dry. But I wont even attempt it.
You have to walk your trash to a trash room, which is DISGUSTING! It smelled and it looked like nothing had been removed for days. It was awful.
In the trash room, the duct work is covered in trash and filth, even after the trash was removed and supposedly it was cleaned.
It smells like a garbage dump. It should be properly ventilated if it's considered a trash room.
The only good thing about this hotel is the beds are comfy.
Even the TV options are awful.
I was there a week, and after I specifically stated we would be down to split the bill and pay in person, they CHARGED MY DEBIT CARD, and I almost was late on my rent check, back home. They refunded, but still.....That should never have happened.
Also, the fixtures and furniture in the room look as though they went to other hotels who were updating their furniture and they bought it second hand. It doesn't even match. Nothing matches in the room.
Calling while I am at work, TWICE, is not acceptable. Especially when they just want to know if Im extending my stay??? They can wait until I get back to ask me that. I'm there to work. I let it go to voicemail for a reason. But they called me a 2nd time.

We are looking right now for another place to stay.
It's not even worth it to stay another week. It's just awful!
Olivia has been wonderful!
I won't tell you the man's name but 'he' clearly doesn't care to be here.

There was no tech support with wifi. There was barely any tech, period. They simply said we had to pay more, per day, to have faster internet. I had quicker speeds in podunk, back in Oklahoma. on dial up!
Ugh, just found old popcorn under my bed. We havent had popcorn since we got here.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere. Unless it's just overnight. But if it's extended stay it's just not wort...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank calgontakemeaway2016
00esa, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2017

We are sorry you had a poor experience at our hotel. Our team strives to make sure each guest has a pleasant stay, so we apologize for missing the mark. We appreciate you sharing details so we can take steps to prevent these issues in future. Please consider staying with us again so we can show you a better example of our hospitality.

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

Laura was awesome. My room was very clean and the coffee was awesome and fresh. Next time I visit CT I will be staying there with my family and the shower was clean and the sheets was clean

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2017

Your feedback is important. Thank you for sharing. It is good to know you valued the the cleanliness of your room and the customer service you received. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2016

I left a beloved pair of pants behind in my room, and I called the next day to ask if there was any chance of recovering them. The staff member at the front desk said yes, listened to my description, found a possible pair of pants, and then used her personal cell phone to send me a picture of them, to save me the risk of driving back to the hotel for the wrong pair. This was very kind, and I was very grateful.

Additionally, my room had no real issues at all. The heater smelled slightly odd when I turned it on, but that VERY minor oddity was the only thing less than perfect.

Would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan K
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2016

The staff and I appreciate you remarks. We are thrilled at the high-level of customer service you received from our staff, especially when you had an issue. Overall, it is good to know you had an excellent stay at our hotel. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2016

This hotel is great for people in town for business and staying longer that 3 nights. If you are looking for a central location to New Haven and Hartford, this is a great hotel. This is not for the over night, once and a while traveler. This hotel is designed and meant for people that spend long periods in the area working. People stay here are there for 3+ night to 3+ months. I stay here every time I come to New Haven and I always find the rooms to be good for the price. Very inexpensive for the area. They allow pets, large and small dogs. They allow smoking in some rooms, mostly on the 3rd floor. If you do not smoke, ask for a 1st or second floor room. If you are traveling alone, the King Bed rooms are better then the Double Beds. King rooms don't turn as often. No Breakfast, but they offer coffee and tea plus snacks you can grab on your way out. Lots of good eats in the general area.

Room Tip: Allows Large Dogs and Pets. Allows Smoking. This is a long-term stay hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Thomas Q
Reviewed 30 July 2016

I had stayed in here for roughly a month.. overall it wasn't a bad experience, we had one incident where the fire alarm went off and we had to go outside for a while which is annoying because their laundry room had tons of smoke in it.

The rooms were fine, standard double queen and nice kitchen if you like cooking which I do

bathrooms were a bit tiny but good enough for what you gotta do in there

They don't offer breakfast, only 'on the go' breakfast, aka muffins/bars/coffee, nothing worth noting about that

Staff is nice, some weren't so nice and accommodating as possible and seem to only want your money.

Pet friendly hotel, quite a few dogs

Also, the odor in the hallway is really bad, it's uncomforting and the lighting in the hallways is very dim which is creepy.

The internet worked, although pretty slow(worked for gaming though, not much lag -- but slow download speeds which is a pain for doing regular work/downloading etc)

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies about some of the issues you experienced at our hotel. Your comments allow us the opportunity to correct the issues noted. Thank you again for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

We stayed at this property for 2 nights. It is up on a hill behind some apartments-there is signage directing you. The desk staff, esp Reina was very nice and helpful, but everyone was quite nice. We found the beds comfy and had a peaceful night's sleep. The room was clean. Being "extended stay" there is a small closet with a curtain in lieu of a door and a little kitchen area. Good hot water, strong AC and good TV with Showtime. There is daily housekeeping, but only for a fee otherwise I think they clean once weekly. You can however bring your used towels to the desk and swap them out as needed. There is free wifi, but be sure to use the passcode they give you on your key card, as this is the code for the "free" reg speed wifi. High speed wifi costs and is accessed via your last name and room number so be sure to choose the one you really want. I did not have an issue with the "free" reg speed wifi. Our biggest issue with this hotel was that the lobby looked like it needed to be vacuumed and just spruced up overall and that the halls on our floor tended to have a musty smoky smell, even though our room was non smoking. There is a grab and go breakfast which consists of pre packaged muffins, granola bars, apples and coffee...enough to give your day a start! Keep in mind that this is extended stay, so people can live here for months-making it more like a big house perhaps, than a hotel. The rates were very reasonable and we were satisfied overall.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

Thank you for posting such a positive review. I'm thrilled we were able to provide you with a good stay and that our amenities and staff were beneficial to you. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Meriden
1.2 km away
1.9 km away
Four Points by Sheraton Meriden
6.5 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Wallingford / Meriden

Been to Extended Stay America - Hartford - Meriden? Share your experiences!