All reviews steam shower the cottages wood burning fireplace ice maker litchfield hills log cabin main building new england special property on premises bottle of prosecco magical place the entire staff stone cottage helicopter beaver spa
Selected filters
Reviewed September 28, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at Winvian close to 10 times since they opened. It's a wonderful couples' retreat from NYC, and I think it has particular appeal to New Yorkers given the reasonable proximity to the city combined with high-end standards of food and accommodation. I greatly look forward to our annual weekends there!

Our first visit I was a bit skeptical (high-concept themed cottages, ranging from golf and music to variations on a log cabin?) and thought it might be gimmicky and contrived, but my fears quickly vanished when I saw our beautifully appointed cabin (this was Beaver) filled with tasteful and high-quality furnishings and bedding. Then I met Paolo, the Italian proprietor (at the time I believe he was just running the restaurant), had a wonderful dinner, and I've been sold ever since.

What I love about Winvian:

1) It's great to have your own private, (most of them very private) secluded cottage - you really do feel like you are on a retreat. The ones we stay at (Beaver, Woodlands, Stone) are lovely and very well thought out. I've never wanted to stay at the more whimsical (Treehouse, Helicopter) but they look fun and I am sure my kids would enjoy them (or I would have in a different decade).

2) Paolo, the manager, is exceptional and makes you feel like a guest in his very gracious home. His old-world European charm and hospitality are key to the success of Winvian. He takes the job extremely seriously, and pays close attention to every detail. I always feel very confident that we will have a great stay and wonderful meals under his care.

3) The food is generally superb. It's not cheap, and as someone pointed out in another review, the portions are generally not large, but most of it is grown on the property or sourced locally and I've had many truly excellent meals that are delicious and not too heavy. Paolo is adept at suggesting the perfect wine pairings. Their locally grown produce is wonderful.

4) We've taken private yoga classes with two different teachers (one male, one female) and they were both terrific.

5) I like the "New England luxury camp for grown-ups" environment and think the tree-filled property is generally very pretty and relaxing to walk around. It's also fun to look at the other themed cottages on your first visits which they are happy to show you.

What could be improved:

1) The spa - the yoga classes have been great, but my massages have been consistently average. I'm probably too fussy (and have been spoiled by masseuses in Asia), but every time I visit I wish I could have a really great massage and I've never been able to make it happen.

2) Service - most of it's great, but there does seem to be a contingency of college kids who seem good-natured, but a bit clueless? It makes sense when I think about what the local labor market must look like (and it's not like they need high experienced Europeans to bring in your bags and build the fire in your room) but I think their younger staff members could probably benefit from some more training about general professional demeanor and behavior.

3) This may be just me - but does anyone really like to have their bed filled with rose petals? I feel bad even complaining about it, but it's not really that comfortable (or romantic).

But, I'm being nit-picky. Winvian is a pricey, but luxurious and wonderful, getaway from the stresses of the city. We stayed at the Mayflower Inn a couple times years ago but I found it too stuffy for my taste, and I generally find b&b options precious and claustrophobic. So I am very happy to have a weekend escape that combines old-world European standards with a trip to the country. It's wonderful to unwind in one of their beautifully appointed cottages, have a glass of wine by the fire, eat terrific food, walk around the property, and generally relax and be spoiled. I'm always very happy when my husband suggests it's time for a visit!

Room tip: My favorites are Beaver and Woodlands. I've also enjoyed Log Cabin and Stone. But others look very good too! I probably would have been more interested in Secret Society, Treehouse, Helicopter and the more whimsical cottages in my younger years.
Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank FussyNYWorkingMom
Reviewed September 12, 2014

Winvian's sheer beauty and exquisite farm to table cuisine are already legendary. I can only add a hearty Amen! We just celebrated my daughter's small, intimate wedding at Winvian. My absolute delight is compounded by the complete lack of any affect or pretension on their part. It was made clear by every member of their staff that their job, and, in fact, their genuine pleasure, is to make their guests happy and comfortable. They truly succeeded.

Room tip: The cottages can't be adequately described. They have thought of everything and then some. The pictures on their website just can't do them justice. I wish I could have toured them all.
Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Our first visit at Winvian was exceptional. We chose the Industry and everything was perfect. To the personalized welcome note on the bar, to the complimentary champagne waiting for us in our room, to the absolutely incredible, undeniable farm-to-table cuisine. Paolo and his staff did everything right...no stone was left unturned. We will definitely be returning to the Winvian in the future. Lastly, and most important (for all the Tripadvisor addicts) it was clean, clean, clean!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I sent reviews in 2012 and 2013 raving about how incredible the Winvian is. We had 2 visits there this week and neither was as good as before. Our return to "camping" was met with a yellow toilet. I was told something about septic tank back up and how it had really been cleaned; a turn off to be sure. It did not happen again so the excuse seemed unlikely. Turn down service has always included the clearing of the complimentary snack plates, utensils and napkins before; not this visit. Unfortunately a plate broke as I was packing next day. We went home and returned with our granddaughters 2 days later to experience the Treehouse. We arrived near 4pm but still had to wait as the room wasn't quite ready, a light problem. We finally got in and were told about how to work the "light problem." This time the turn down service didn't empty the wastebaskets or remove the snack items so I cleared them from the coffee table to avoid my granddaughters having a broken plate problem like I had. The bikes didn't work, repair and replacement were next day. A brief downpour knocked out our phone so we were unable to call front desk to inform them that the jets didn't work in the hot tub. I mentioned these things at departure and heard how sometimes turn down svc. doesn't clear plates etc. I heard "I'm sorry and I apologize", neither of which improved my opinion of the current service. I didn't bother to mention how awful the sofa bed mattress was and I felt bad that my granddaughters had to sleep on something so thin and bumpy. Our dinner and breakfast were very good but the lodging was not perfect as it had been before. Considering the cost, reputation and past wonderful visits, this year we were disappointed twice in a week; where'd the Wow go?

Room tip: check the website as each cottage is different. It is definitely better for couples if other sofa beds are the quality of the one in the tree house. Regular beds and other furniture is wonderful.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank peggyvb
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

My second trip back to Winvian was just as magical as the first. The quality of the accommodations, the details are all perfection. I feel like royalty when I visit Winvian. The staff welcome us with prosecco, call us by name and make it their job to know when we'll be back to the restaurant or anticipate what we might need. It's just not possible to be stressed at Winvian. Even a quick overnight was enough to recharge our batteries. We stayed in library the first time and stone the second. Both are breathtaking. Thank you, Winvian, we will be back soon!

1  Thank RebeccaM655