“Good, creative food”

Ranked #16 of 104 Restaurants in Mystic
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed April 29, 2018

I went here for the first time with my husband and another couple. I now know why so many people rave about it. It's a small restaurant in a rather nondescript plaza. The entrance is a little convoluted. You enter a door, not attached to the restaurant, turn, go down a corridor and enter through another door. The restrooms are in the first hallway. But no worries, once you're in, it's cozy and welcoming. You are encouraged to get your own coffee as you find your seat. After I added cream, my coffee was cold, but they happily heated it in the microwave for me.
Now to the food. There are a lot of choices, something for everyone, hearty eater, vegetarian, dieter etc. There is a board with some specials in addition to the menu. I went with the steel cut oatmeal, with blueberries on the side. It was a very nice, hearty oatmeal. My husband got the sampler which was a lot of food: 2 eggs, one pancake, one French toast, 2 bacon, 2 sausage, home fries, toast and coffee.
Our friends got the Marguerite Omelet and the Super scramble. We all left full and happy.

Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

It’s small and a bit of a throwback in time, and the food is fabulous! Creative breakfast combinations, including organic and healthy choices. I had the Hocus Poachus and my wife had the Build Your Own Pancakes with whole grain pancakes with blueberries and walnuts. Delicious! Also had the organic dark coffee - excellent. If you’re in the Mystic or casinos area, highly recommend.

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Wonderful breakfast near the Mystic Seaport. They have a very quaint dining room and a wonderfully creative menu. They don’t accept plastic and the prices are a bit steep, but we think it was worth it.

Reviewed March 21, 2018

Cosy atmosphere with a large breakfast menu and serve yourself coffee. Quality of breakfasts has been outstanding. Daily specials. Breakfast is served all day. Friendly servers. Although it's a cash only place, there's an ATM in the building.

Reviewed February 20, 2018

This is a seat yourself, cash only restaurant. I know people who swear by it, but I just don't get the appeal. We, husband, teenage son and myself, for lunch. We walked through the restaurant looking for a table and eventually noticed a couple leaving a 4 top. We stood near the table until a server noticed us and offered to clean it so we could sit down. This sounds silly but if you don't guard a dirty table then another person will sit at it as soon as it's cleared.

Because of the seat yourself policy there is no way for the waitresses to know that a new table has been seated. This means that you might wait up to 20 minutes for anyone to notice or bring a menu over.

Hot drinks (coffee, tea) are set up on a long table and the customer makes their own. Bottled drinks are in a cooler. They have some drinks on tap like iced tea, but if you want sweetener then you have to go to the coffee station to get it.

The waitress took our order. She wasn't rude but she was obviously overworked and not particularly friendly either. We ordered three sandwiches, which come with varying handfuls of stale Lay's chips.

I tried the Mookie, which is supposed to be a "Thanksgiving Dinner" sandwich. What I ended up with was a roll with a few slices of turkey lunchmeat, a pound of dry stuffing, 2 slices of canned cranberry sauce and so much mayo that the sandwich top slides off the sandwich when you take the toothpick out.

I didn't finish the sandwich or the chips. Maybe it's better if there is a slow time but I have been here a few different times during different days but the place is always crowded. If you must come, order breakfast because you have a better chance of getting something edible.

1  Thank NancyCWalker

Been to Somewhere In Time? Share your experiences!