All reviews pancake machine across the street front desk mystic village hi express pool and hot tub cinnamon rolls free breakfast yogurt the breakfast area would stay here again parking lot rooms are large short drive steak loft first floor mini fridge
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My three children and I stayed here for a mini-spring break getaway. It was VERY crowded the first day that we were there. However, they had plenty of towels at the pool and plenty of food at the breakfast buffet the next day. The buffet could be better organized. It was so crowded that it was actually hard to just get a juice. However, I think it is not normally so busy. I loved the room. It was quite large and was just a standard. We took advantage of the fridge and food storage area in the room. The front desk staff was helpful with my requests for additional tissues and toilet paper. I liked being able to walk to the restaurant next door as well as the Starbucks nearby. I would stay here again.

Room tip: We liked being on the first floor just two doors away from the pool.
Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Very nice and clean hotel across the street from Mystic Village. Breakfast included. The pool is very small, but not many hotels in the area have indoor pools. We were very happy here.

Date of stay: March 2012
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Needed a quick get away, apparently this is something I do every year according to my daughter. Wanted to go somewhere not too far from home but yet another world. Mystic is almost always my go to place. I was greeted by a young woman, Sophie, who very kindly placed me on the 3rd floor when I told her I was looking for some down time. My room was a quiet king leisure - with a big screen TV which took a me a short time to figure out; a microwave and small refridge. The room was clean - yes there are spots on the rug and the furniture is a bit outdated but this is a Holiday Inn - not the Ritz - the price was great with my AA discount. The Housekeeping service did a great job of making my room better than I left it. If you stay here - get a room on the 3rd floor facing Mystic Village especially in the Fall - it must be spectacular when the leaves turn. If you want to be near the pool or breakfast area choose the 1st floor. I didn't use the pool but others were in there. Now for Sophie, she went out of her way to help me get my computer to work -I was connected to their network but I didn't have internet service. I brought my computer down to Sophie and she tried - she even rebooted the internet server for me. She did everything she could but it still didn't work. So beware that you may have internet connection problems. But Sophie gave it her best effort - which is rare these days. The hotel is in walking distance to Mystic Village and restaurants and a quick drive to the center of Mystic. For those who commented about Mystic closing up around 6 p.m. they are correct but a short drive to Groton or over the bridge to New London gives you every kind of shopping you could ever want.

Room tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor facing Mystic Village are the best especially for Fall foliage.
Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Stayed here for one night last weekend. Was very satisfied overall. Room was quite large and fit three comfortably. Had a mini fridge and microwave. Beds were extremely comfortable. Very quiet for a Saturday night. Great "continental" breakfast included - veggie/cheese omelets, sausage, biscuits and gravy, fruit variety, pancake machine, nice variety of breads and bagels. Pool is quite small but seemed to be enjoyed by the kids.

One critique - room carpets quite old and worn - need to be replaced.

Room tip: Only about 15 minutes from Foxwoods casino
Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We reserved five rooms for our son's wedding weekend. The bride's family and other family members reserved several other rooms as well. All of our rooms were reserved well in advance. (We had stayed in the hotel previously when meeting with restaurant owners and scouting other venues. We were surprised to find only one person working on the desk at that time.) On the wedding weekend, we were given our room a little early, as we had requested. However, the rest of our wedding party were kept waiting on the lobby all afternoon, well past check-in time, and finally had to prepare for the wedding rehearsal in a borrowed room. They barely made it to the church in time - not the way we wanted to begin such an important weekend. The excuse given was that the staff couldn't get there due to bad weather. Since all of us had driven with ease from at least two hours away, it seemed to be a very lame excuse. We were very surprised to find the front desk unoccupied most of the time, with the phone ringing constantly. We spent lots of time in the lobby, waiting, so we got that picture over and over. When the bride and her makeup person and photographer met in her suite, the lighting proved to be inadequate, because two of the three bulbs in the ceiling fixture were burned out. We called down and asked for a maintenance person to replace the bulbs. The tiny front desk girl showed up with a ladder that was too short for her to reach the ceiling. When she found a taller ladder, she managed to pull the entire fixture off the ceiling, decide that there was no way she could open the globe to change the bulbs, and so left it hanging from the wires and told us to be careful. It didn't take long for the fixture to burst out of the wire nuts and fall to the floor and break. When we called to let her know, she sighed that there was no one available to do maintenance. She seemed so harried and stressed, because she didn't seem to have anyone to help her. She had no spare lamps to loan us. We decided, after asking her permission, to bring a lamp from another room. When were pulling the plug, the outlet nearly popped out of the wall.
We understand that the wedding was taking place at the end of a school vacation week, which made for a very busy time and a fully booked facility. One presumes that the hotel administrators would be aware of that as well and would have planned accordingly.
To their credit the breakfast bar was kept supplied and the hours were extended somewhat to accommodate the large crowd. The breakfast wasn't bad, but the regular tea tasted like floor sweepings.
Bedding was comfortable and room cleanliness were as expected. We would hope that the HIE people would take a close look at their staffing issues, so that others need not face this sort of problem.
We do recommend The Boathouse restaurant next door. The food is very good and the bar has live music on weekends. We also enjoyed The Riverwalk Restaurant on Holmes Street and the lovely Latitude 41 in the Seaport area.

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

ny_mainer,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance. Thank you

Ben J