New Britain Museum of American Art
Open today: 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Exceptional Collections of American Art

Reviewed September 27, 2018
bchrzan
Norwalk, Connecticut
Fine collection of American art.

Reviewed September 9, 2018
Joeseph511
via mobile

All reviews permanent collection walnut hill park new wing special exhibit the hudson river school very nice gift shop ample free parking landscape paintings great collection new addition worth the trip central ct second floor on display sunday afternoon beautiful park gem
Reviewed 5 days ago

This is a small Museum but very intriguing. Came here on a field trip as a chaperone and I will be going back. This is a great place to expose the kids to something new. There are many different benches that were made especially for this location, and for each display.
Staff are ready to answer any questions about the location and displays.

Reviewed September 27, 2018

Visited this museum for the first time recently. Was really blown away by the space, which is bright, open and inviting, as well as the collection of wonderful art here. Came specifically for the "Art in Farmington Village" exhibit. Outstanding! Also loved the art from the permanent collections, and most especially the American Impressionists. The museum is "just the right size" too; not huge and overwhelming, where you come away dazed and saturated, or too small. You can spend the good part of a morning or afternoon here and come away feeling refreshed and enlightened! On Saturdays between 10:00 a.m. and noon the museum charges no fee. A real treat for sure!

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

One of Connecticut's hidden gems. This museum offers a variety of American artists. New addition provides for greater display.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

We like to visit art museums, and I've learned to be somewhat particular about where I spend my time in them. I'm old enough to know what interests me and what doesn't, so I'll avoid spending a lot of time on less interesting things so that I can bask in the beauty of others. It was difficult for me to do that at this museum, because just about EVERYTHING (with the possible exception of some of the more modern pieces) caught my attention and deserved study. It took us a lot longer to get through here than I had expected, and it was a true pleasure. I had never seen such a wonderful collection of American Art, and would rank this in my top 8 or 10 museums...and that's in a large crowd of experiences.

Hardly something I would have expected to find in New Britain, Connecticut!

1  Thank jdl50cc
Reviewed August 22, 2018

My husband and I visited the New Britain Museum of American Art in New Britain, Connecticut on Sunday, August 19, 2018. We have been at this museum multiple times and have always enjoyed it because it has a very nice mixture of a wide variety of different types of artwork, including frequently changing special exhibits. It has something for everyone, much more than what I have described below. We have enjoyed both the permanent and changing special exhibits in the museum, which are all nicely curated. All the write-ups throughout this museum are detailed and provide good background information on the artwork on exhibit, including good historical and cultural perspective.

Our visit at the museum this time took about an hour and a half, due to the amount of time that we had available, but it could easily have taken over 2 hours to be able to absorb and appreciate all the artwork on display. The museum has some very nice aspects, including a beautiful modern building with ample free parking, convenient to the museum, as well as a very nice gift shop. We recommend visiting this museum and we hope that you have the opportunity to enjoy it as much as we did. Museum passes for free admission into this museum may be available through your local library.

We started our visit on the second floor with the special exhibit on the ‘Art in Farmington Village’, which traced the history of the Farmington Art Scene from the 18th through the 20th centuries. This included multiple galleries with early landscape paintings in and around Farmington, historical photographs, an interesting map of Hartford County as well as art influenced by the Miss Porter School with paintings by Robert Bolling Brandegee. It was a flourishing art community/colony, which was well depicted in the exhibit. The exhibit was well done, providing a nice historical perspective and was a very good walk back through time.

We then enjoyed the ‘New/Now’ by Paul Baylock special exhibit which was comprised of very innovative works nicely depicting New Britain as the ‘Hardware City of the World’. The exhibit was uniquely put together using digital and analog processes as well as a wide range of media, including photography, paintings, and sculptures to depict historical themes in a contemporary style. This exhibit was a nice tribute to New Britain’s industrial legacy.

The collection of Pulp Art by Robert Lesser, also on the second floor, was quite unique, adding to the wide range of different artwork that the museum has.

We then went to the first floor. There we enjoyed the special exhibit on ‘Architecture as ‘Muse: American Skyline’, which nicely illustrated the architecture of different skylines of the United States from a historical perspective. This exhibit was both interesting and unique, illustrating the rise in American cities throughout the nation.

We also liked the Shaker ‘Line and Curve’ exhibit which interestingly illustrated how the artwork that Ellsworth Kelly created aligned to the simplicity in design of the Shaker objects that he collected. The Shaker gallery changes on an ongoing basis and currently had objects from multiple Shaker Communities, including Enfield, Connecticut, Mount Lebanon in New Lebanon, New York and the Canterbury Community in New Hampshire

As always we enjoyed the wide variety of artwork in the museum, which included American Art representing a nation in Transition (from 1800 – 1850) memorializing the American Revolution, Hudson River Landscape Paintings, American Impressionism, Regionalism and Realism Art, Colonial American Portraitures as well as art from the Gilded Age. The exhibit on ‘Origins of a Collection’ illustrating the earliest works in the museum was quite interesting and a nice tribute to the museum’s history and a good reflection on its origins.

Again, we recommend visiting this museum and we hope that you have the opportunity to enjoy it as much as we did.

1  Thank kzsull01
Reviewed August 19, 2018

This is with out a doubt one of the best museums of American art in the entire country. It is absolutely fantastic. If you like American art, and who doesn't, then this museum is a must. They have displays which also change monthly. I highly recommend this attraction. Local residents can go free on Saturday mornings.

Reviewed July 22, 2018

On your next trip through Connecticut you will definitely find it worthwhile to visit this museum. It has a great colllection of American art by well-known and lesser-known artists on display from their permanent collection in addition to temporary exhibits. The museum is well laid out with handsome galleries that are thoughtfully illuminated. This museum is easy to get this, has free parking, and a very friendly staff. We have visited many major art museums and were very glad that we discovered this museum. You will be, too.

Reviewed July 1, 2018

Having spent a lot of time visiting the Smithsonian Museum of American Art, I was bowled over the amazing collection this museum has and the wonderful way they display the art. I wonder why there were so few people there. If you love masters of American art, this should definitely be a stop for you.

This museum arranges the art in a systemic way, tracing the development of art in America. Starting from Colonial Portraiture, to Romantic classicism, to landscape painting, especially the Hudson River School of painters, to luminism, to genre painting, to American impressionism, and then, to modern art. There was a special exhibition featuring a local artist, born and bred in New Britain, Paul Baylock. New Britain was dubbed Hardware City and he showed this moniker in his paintings. I thought the piece de resistance in the entire museum is Thomas Hart Benton's "The Arts of Life in America: Arts of the West".

I also loved the various benches all designed by a different artist apparently, specifically for the room itself and the art works shown in that particular room. I also loved the blown-glass works they hang in several places. Outdoors, there were sculptures which were scattered about the grounds.

What a fantastic museum. Go,

2  Thank margaretc007
Reviewed June 21, 2018

Wow the New Britain Museum has beer and wine tasting along with music and food on the weekends. You can also enjoy the evening in the museum viewing the wonderful art.

Reviewed June 4, 2018 via mobile

Didn’t realize it was over 2 years since last here. New addition is beautifully done and allow the museum to show more of its permanent collections. Saw so much more than last time.went for the Prendercast exhibition. Wonderful. Didn’t know,about either of the brothers, which is a reason to discover other artists. I liked Maurice better, my husband prefered Charles. Interesting gift shop as well. First weekend of the month is free although reciprocity with other museums apply, check it out of you,belong some where else

1  Thank yysuzanne