“Don't go out of your way.”

Miss Washington Diner
Ranked #27 of 157 Restaurants in New Britain
Cuisines: Soups
Reviewed January 31, 2017

I had heard this was a great place. It wasn't easy to find, being in downtown, but we found it. The parking lot is very narrow as are the parking spaces, and I found it difficult to squeeze my rather large car into a space between other vehicles.

It is a classic diner. But it is old. The menu is very basic diner food. Nothing really special. It is a little less than what you would expect at a diner.

The waitresses are all older ladies. They've got personality, but they get confused. As I was trying to pay my bill, someone else came in and paid for and took an order that apparently belonged to someone else. And the woman at the register wasn't sure who paid and who didn't. Hmmmm....

The food was passable, nothing to write home about. I had french toast with a side of bacon and my friend had eggs and toast. It was a little spendy for what we got. I had a couple of strips of bacon left over. The waitress asked me if I wanted to take them. I said I did. She disappeared with my bacon and never returned.

One thing that really hit me was that the bathroom was not clean. I'm not talking about a dirty toilet, I'm talking about general maintenance over the years. It definitely needs a deep once over!

So that is that. Eat there or don't. Its OK, but nothing to go out of your way for.

Reviewed January 13, 2017

Miss Washington's Diner is terrific. It's got the best coffee in town, with free refills! And the lunch specials can't be beat. It's a fun place for a great meal that won't break the bank. But be warned, the fries are very addictive, too.
If you're looking for an authentic diner experience with local flavor, this has to be your first stop in New Britain.

Reviewed January 13, 2017

First off the owner seems like a great guy ,and it is very much like the greasy spoon diners my dad used to frequent alot on the road.But im not my dad.The food was quick ,but nothing special.Seems like a very popular retro diner in the neighborhood.I wish the guy well.

Reviewed September 12, 2016

This diner has gone down hill in the past few years. The food is not the best and often they run out of basic items, like bread, English muffins etc. my biggest complaint is that the place is not CLEAN!!!! The floor needs a good scrubbing, not just a swipe with a wet mop. The Health Dept. should really inspect!,

1  Thank LadyO1123
Reviewed July 31, 2016

We haven't been here in a while, but stopped in for breakfast. Service was good and there wasn't a wait. We got an omelette and the combo plate of French toast with eggs and bacon. Everything was cooked to order and very good. Casual atmosphere and you don't feel rushed to leave even though more people were starting to come in. We will go back soon.