All reviews street side king suite small gym marriott courtyard convenient location rooms are clean and comfortable parking garage within walking distance front desk staff shower curtain stay there again street noise college visit per night fitness center easy access hotel restaurant
Reviewed August 26, 2018

When I last stayed at this hotel in 1980, it was not a Marriott. I seem to recall it was only three stories tall and not the existing eight. This hotel is very near Yale and was filled with people related to the first days of the Freshmen dorm opening.

The lobby is nice. It was clearly refurbished recently. The breakfast is by ordering and not a buffet (I think I tend to prefer buffets at this stage in my life).

The rooms are a little small (Courtyard sized, if I must say so). They were quiet and the bathrooms were recently updated. The rooms were quiet and had great shades.

The major reason I cannot rate this hotel higher is the parking. The spaces are the smallest I have sever seen (and I have seen some small spaces!). My stepson had to retract his side mirrors on his car to fit in the space. The bride and groom had to exist the car via the tailgate. When I parked, I had to let my wife off BEFORE I put the car into the parking space.

Room Tip: We got a room at the end.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank HPLowry
Reviewed August 25, 2018

The service at this place IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!! Rooms not cleaned without a call. Bars and snack areas not staffed! Calls to front desk don't get answered. Nobody seems to care. From a customer service experience, this was one of the worst I ever experienced.

STAY AWAY!! Really!!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms do not offset the terrible service.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Emilio M, Manager at Courtyard New Haven at Yale, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2018

Hello Martin S,

I am extremely sorry to hear that your past stay did not meet expectations at any level. It is never our intention to provide services that are sub par and do not exceed your-or-our expectations. We thank you for the honest feedback of your experience and look to improve with the hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with superior service.

Regards,
Emilio M.

Reviewed August 23, 2018

We stayed at the hotel for a family wedding in New Haven. I did not have high expectations and was pleasantly surprised. The front desk staff were lovely and accommodating as were the housekeeping staff. Our room was clean and comfortable.
The location is great- close to restaurants and a nice stroll to Yale.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Emilio M, Manager at Courtyard New Haven at Yale, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2018

Hi Kathrynyc,

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel via Trip Advisor. We are ecstatic that we exceeded your expectations during this recent stay! From the services to location, we are truly appreciative of the words you have said. We look forward to seeing you soon again in New Haven!

Reviewed August 20, 2018

Stayed here overnight for a wedding – what a dark and depressing space. Ancient furniture, super-loud a/c, mediocre toiletries. The bed was OK. And all of that in an upgraded room. Friends stayed in regular rooms, even worse. The hotel is located in a not nice part of town, was warned not to park on the street, as cars get broken into. The least they could do in such neighborhood would be to offer free parking, but no - $25 per night to self-park. The bill came to well over $200 for one night. Totally not worth it. Wish I had stayed at another place – both nicer and cheaper.

Room Tip: Stay at a better place - for less money
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Emilio M, Manager at Courtyard New Haven at Yale, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2018

Hello Alex_Tallinn,

Thank you for taking the time out to review our property. As a Marriott branded hotel, our goal is to always ensure our guest's are highly satisfied with every aspect of their stay and I am sorry to hear that yours did not meet expectations. We know that especially for a special event such as the one you traveled here for-you expected more of us and we are truly sorry for not providing a great stay experience.

Regards,
Emilio M.

Reviewed August 6, 2018

NUMBER ONE at this hotel is customer service. The front desk staff and every person I encountered both at the evening meal service and in the morning breakfast/coffee area was incredibly friendly, helpful, and respectful. They accommodated my dietary needs without blinking and provided very good food (8 out of 10) in a quick manner and at reasonable prices. This is not the most updated or boutique hotel, but the facilities are good and solid and the internet worked beautifully. The fitness center was small but useful and the hotel was very close to the Yale campus. The price is a little high for what the hotel offers, but they have a corner on the Yale U. Crowds, so it is understandable.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Emilio M, Manager at Courtyard New Haven at Yale, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2018

Hello ZMMom,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review of our property. I am glad to hear that our staff went above to provide you with great service considering your dietary needs. We will see you soon at the Courtyard New Haven at Yale!