All reviews across the street dvd player parking situation yale university george street business center wine and cheese street parking walking distance nice hotel nice lobby room key front desk staff crackers buffet breakfast per day hotel is centrally located
Reviewed July 23, 2018

After a day of navigating: a ferry to NYC, shuttle, NJ Transit, Dinky, NJ Transit, and AMTRAK, I missed the last train to Springfield by one train. In a last ditch effort with rain pouring into the AMTRAK car, I wrestled with spotty internet and a dying cell phone to find a hotel where I could crash in New Haven -- somewhere near the train station.

The New Haven Hotel was soothing as soon as I walked in the door at a quarter to midnight. The attendant was kind (and remembered me when I saw her at the other end of her shift in the morning). The decor had art-deco appeal, sophisticated and soothing. My room felt solid, calm, unexpectedly spacious. It didn't have check-box amenities, but the things I really needed: a massaging hot shower; free wifi that was effortless to connect to and actually high speed; air conditioning that turned-on with a switch and had the room de-humidified, pleasant and ready to sleep in within minutes. I have a freakishly sensitive nose which had been battered all day by smoke, perfume, and bathroom masking toxins. The air in my room was scent free heaven. The black-out curtains blacked-out all light, and I slept soundly in a room that was pitch dark and quiet. In the morning, there was good fresh coffee in the lobby with real half & half in the lobby. It was laid-out before the restaurant opened. There was a laptop table and comfortable gathering spaces where I could make travel arrangements while waiting for breakfast, a business center with several high quality terminals and a printer for the tickets, and a buffet that was reasonably priced (especially after NYC) with high quality everything, especially the giant bowl of fresh berries. I find that I am scheming to find an excuse to return to this hotel just because it is so good in this day and age to be in a place that does what it says it will do and does it well.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2018

I Recently dropped off my daughter for a one week work shop at Yale. Our first time in New Haven. Stayed at The New Haven Hotel with my wife and daughter. Check in was easy and the front desk staff couldn’t do enough to be helpful. Shops and restaurants were within walking distance. The room was modern and clean and they had a cheese and wine hour in the lobby (that they have for free every night). The three of us walked to dinner and were perfectly safe as the hotel and its surroundings are in a nice neighborhood. It is 5 minutes from Yale. There is a restaurant in the hotel also. We will definitely stay again on our next trip to New Have.

Reviewed July 21, 2018 via mobile

I stayed in The New Haven Hotel overnight from Friday to Saturday. Upon arrival at 11:00pm the woman at the front desk told me that the parking garage was 22 dollars for 24 hours. Sounded like a great deal, right? We were planning to leave the city at 2 and it would have worked out fine. But the very next day, another receptionist at the front desk told me that i would have to move my car by noon, or else it would be stuck there until Monday. It completely sounds like nonsense that wouldn’t be able to take out my car until a day later. But i wasn’t going to wait and see if it was true. I had to move my car and pay a total 38 dollars for parking when i could have paid 16 for 24 hour parking at another lot in the area. The receptionist in the morning even admitted that there was 16 dollar parking and apologized for what the woman yesterday said when checking us in. I was given misleading information on parking and no refunds were given.
Besides the parking issue, the room was not what i expected for 170 dollars and very plain for a “boutique hotel”. The room doesn’t even come with complimentary continental breakfast or much amenities. The best feature is the location, close to Yale’s old campus.
The stay was not satisfactory compared to other hotels i have stayed in for 100 dollars or less.

Reviewed July 10, 2018

The location of this hotel is excellent, walking distance to Yale and in the shopping/restaurant district. The hotel exceeded expectations, spacious room, beautiful lobby, helpful staff, many amenities, and easily accessible by car.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2018

We stayed at the New Haven Hotel because the Omni prices were too high on this particular weekend. It's a comfortable, clean hotel, but there are no bathtubs (this was a huge disappointent to me, because I was looking forward to it after a long transAtlantic flight and then drive from JFK.) Also, there's no room service.

But the internet is really good—better than at the Omni New Haven Hotel—and they had well-positioned electrical/charging outlets around the room for extra convenience.

The New Haven Hotel also has a nice gym.

Will stay there again if the price is right.

Date of stay: June 2018