“Surprisingly nice”

The Rocky River Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in New Milford
“Surprisingly nice”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Stayed in there regular room which was very clean and comfortable. Large LCD-TV, fridge and microwave were a plus. Staff gave us good ideas on area activity and places to eat. Also the price for the area and room was very reasonable.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Jsward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My boyfriend and I were looking for a quiet getaway from NYC for July 4th weekend, something nice and less than 2 hours drive from the City, with hiking, biking, kayaking in the area. I came upon this hotel by accident, looking for lodging in the vicinity of Candlewood lake, room pictures seemed nice, price ($125 per night for a luxury room) was right. I travel quite a lot for business internationally and in the US, staying in the nicest hotels, and i was very positively surprised when we entered our room. First of all, the owner was very nice and upgraded our room to "honeymoon" suite which was empty at the time, and the room was spectacular: very spacious, nice open design, jacuzzi, fireplace, balcony with view on the river and green back yard. Room design very contemporary, nice carpet, wall paper, beautifully done bathroom, awsome king size bed (i now understand why the suite was called "honeymoon" as we didnt want to leave the room:). We planned to stay one night, we stayed two. Before leaving, we asked the owner to show us other rooms as well, and all of them were quite awsome, with humongous bathrooms, all clean, shiny, impeccable, sexy. Will come again and definitely recommend the place to couples for nice getaway as well as groups of friends or families (there are 2 bedroom suits with 2 bathrooms). Rocky River Inn also has regular motel rooms for much lower price per night - but still decent. The great rooms are in the renovated buildings. Thanks to the family of the owners, which made our stay so great!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jbari
CT.
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Prices are high. Room was basically clean (only had to kill one bug). Woman not friendly (read rude) at all. Basic TV. Remote control undecipherable. Use of A/C blows circuit breaker. $100 extra to use in room jacuzzi. Ice machine not functioning. Took dirty linen but did not replace until asked. Bath mats used by others before we got there. Did not have another, more reasonable room, available for one more day, until we said we were leaving, then, one miraculously became open. Needless to say, won't be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank wlfmann
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2011

My husband and I have been staying with this family at their motel since they took it over, twice a year for the last 7 or 8 years (seriously, it has been a long time). We have seen them add on a new section with truly spacious and luxurious rooms; but even before that, we stayed in their only (at that time) jacuzzi room and loved it. They now have several rooms with jacuzzis. Our first time visiting our cousin in New Milford, we stayed at a B&B in town that had dark, dank rooms and a really crummy "breakfast." Our next visit that same year, we stayed at the Rocky River which at that time did not have the new wing. We chose their only jacuzzi room, and had to wait for them to do the laundry before we got new towels because they were really working hard to get their business going. And they have. We support them all the way; this is a family business, and they work hard. We would not stay anywhere else in New Milford, and we now choose the pricier new wing because we like to pamper ourselves. But, even though they are pricier than their other rooms, they are well within reason. We highly recommend this family owned and run motel in New Milford, and sincerely hope you give it a try. If you want to be wowed, go for the newer rooms! Oh, sleeping is wonderful here and the jacuzzi rooms are so worth it!! This is a very hard working family, and my hat is off to them for working so hard and caring so much.

Brenda and Philip

Room Tip: Go for the new wing with a jacuzzi.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fishing4fun2011
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 April 2011

We decided to stay here instead of driving an hour plus home after my husband's jazz group played at The Bank Street Tavern in New Milford. It's a monthly gig and we were pleased enough that we plan to stay at the RRI every time. We stayed in one of the 'Deluxe' rooms ($95) since it offers the separate office space. The bedroom and bath were both a nice size, and the bed/pillows very comfortable. One of the other reviews noted the tufted vinyl headboard...basically, I told my husband the decor was kind of Bollywood - neat, clean, just a little different. I rate the RRI Very Good, because for the area I believe it deserves it. In an area with more selection, I would probably rate as Average because...the lighted vanity mirror didn't light, there was no full length mirror, the water pressure isn't very good, and the Internet connection was slow.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelwithb
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Was planning to visit the area with friends and made a reservation for a "Luxury" room with two queen beds. Unfortunately, I had to make the trip solo. When I checked into the hotel late in the evening I found the staff to be extremely accommodating to my situation and changed my room to a single king bed room at a lower rate. I was thrilled! He explained to me that it had a Jacuzzi tub, and that as long as I didnt use it, I would not be charged extra. Interesting, but atleast he told me. I had seen pictures online of the "Luxury" rooms and must say I had higher hopes. The room was beautifully decorated and well put together, but the carpets were SO dirty that I was afraid to walk bare foot anywhere in the room. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night sleep, but the cream vinyl / leather headboard had pink "X" marks all over it. Thought that was extremely strange. Was someone trying to say something?? There were no tissues, the coffee cups and one glass cup were NOT individually wrapped, I was afraid to use them to take my med's, and it was too late for me to roam around to try and find a vending machine, which I did see upon checkout. The shower was difficult to understand, the temperature lever was reversed so, hot was cold and cold was hot... took a while to figure that one out. And water pressure was horrible. It trickled down the shower head. Had to bend my knees to wash my hair. Overall for the time there and the cost, not too bad. Just wished it was alittle cleaner and the shower worked better then it would have been a 5 star rating.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Milton, Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I am a 25 year old veteran, and the Rocky River Inn refused to rent me a room for the night because I "needed to be older than 25" as the lady I could barely understand told me on the phone. If that's not age discrimination, I don't know what is.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
18.5 km away
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#13 of 15 in Danbury

Been to The Rocky River Inn? Share your experiences!