“Excellent Austrian food in a beautiful setting”

Hopkins Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2017

My wife and I have dined at the Hopkins Inn on several occasions, usually for lunch or 'Kaffee und Kuchen' while we were visiting Litchfield. The last time I reviewed it on Tripadvisor was seven years ago, when we had lunch there.

Yesterday, we decided to celebrate our 49th wedding anniversary by having dinner at the Hopkins Inn. We've had problems before, when we tried to get a table during their busy season, so this time we took the precaution of making a reservation, which turned out to be a wise decision since the place filled up not long after we turned up.

It was a mild evening, so we sat on the terrace - a pleasant location with a view of Lake Wauramaug. As it happens, we were at the same table that we had back in 2008. It was right in the corner of the terrace, with a good view of the lake, and tucked away from the rest of the tables.

Service was very attentive and friendly.

The food was superb - delicately cooked, and fresh.
We started with a bowl of chowder - creamy, tasty and wholesome, with the accent on seafood rather than potatoes.
For Entrée, I had Sweetbreads Viennese - a generous, gently breaded portion, cooked to perfection (yeah, I know - it's a cliché, but in this case it was accurate) served with fresh vegetables (carrots and green beans)
My wife had Raumschnitzel, which she thought was excellent.
And, of course, they served their secret ingredient - home made Rösti. If you are unfamiliar with this superb Swiss/Austrian side dish, I suggest you visit Hopkins.
I finished with a rather nice Pecan Pie, with ice cream and industrial quantities of Schlagsahne. Magic!
My wife had Apfelstrudel, also liberally accompanied by cream. She said it was splendid.

Sometimes, one feels full at the end of a meal. Not this time, the quality and the portions were just right.

Recommended (but be sure to make a reservation).

2  Thank Hans_Sachs
There are newer reviews for Hopkins Inn Restaurant

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

Had a very lovely dinner with friends. Started with a great shrimp cocktail. Had the filet mignon, accompanied with steamed vegetables for my entree and it was great. My wife had the Rahmschnitzel and she enjoyed it. We have friends that live in Warren and the Inn is our go to restaurant when we visit. Have not been disappointed there.

1  Thank Joe P
Reviewed 5 June 2017

Pleasant place for a good German meal. Had the sauerbraten and was well satisfied. Wife had the vegetarian plate. Large platter if well prepared vegetables. Presented in a grand fashion not some "ok, I can make up a plate for you, you non meat eater!" Excellent desserts. Great service!

1  Thank Sam D
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Looking for something elegant for our 10th Anniversary. Beautiful drive in the countryside and a lovely patio table overlooking the lake. My lamb shank was tender and succulent with rice, cooked carrots and squash to accompany it. Superb. $21
My spouse had the seafood medley in garlic butter sauce and she was quite pleased. $16
All in all very elegant and well done. Service was a bit slow with about 8-9 tables of diners for lunch on the beautiful Tuesday afternoon. Because of this, we passed on dessert and later found a local bakery for some treats to much next to Kent Falls.
Not cheap eats, but I thought it was reasonable for the quality of food.

2  Thank rkw321
Reviewed 1 April 2017

Late lunch with my husband. Known for German cuisine but we didn't have German today. Cream of mushroom soup was delicious. Both of us had chicken cordon bleu which was superb - moist not dry. It was served with broccoli/cauliflower and shredded potatoes. Bread is amazing - crispy outside and tender inside. You will make a mess of bread crumbs at your table but the waitresses expect it. We splurged and shared a dessert of vanilla ice cream inside a crepe with Toblerone sauce on top. Great wine selection as well. Always a beautiful view of Lake Waramaug. Warmer months they have patio seating. Closed during the winter months.

2  Thank meggieluna