“Training”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Norwalk
Plainfield, Illinois
“Training”
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Very clean and accomodating hotel. However, not too many amenities that you may expect at many high end hotels. While the service was awesome, the food was great, the prices were steep. From a look-feel perspective, the best word that comes to mind is bland. I cannot comment on the outside too much as I was inside the entire trip.

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank runthenet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
California
Reviewed 21 May 2009

Was there as part of a meeting. Out of the way in the middle of a residential area. Old monastery I was told. This place is primarily a conference center which has rooms. Staff were nice. Rooms were clean and well serviced. Great view of a golf course. However, there is nothing around it except for a beautiful garden/park ie no major civilization.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AHM
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 January 2009

I needed a place to stay on short notice. I found Dolce Norwalk on Expedia.com and it offered a room for $99. I booked it, got my confirmation #, and headed for the hotel. I was impressed with the landscaping when I arrived, but there were no obvious indications as to where the lobby was. I ended up driving around the parking lots for about 5-minutes until I found someone on a loading-dock who pointed me in the right direction. For everyone's reference, the lobby entrance is on street-level under the hotel-overpass; it's also just far enough away from the parking areas to be an annoying walk (it was 18-degrees and snowing when I arrived). I was greeted by a polite desk-manager. I gave her my name, and she soon informed me that they had no reservation for me. There was another guest with my name arriving two weeks later though. I explained to her that I'd just booked the stay with Expedia, and had a confirmation #. She assured me that because of the hotel's exclusivity, they have never had business with Expedia and explained that they had no rooms available. I was a little annoyed at her insistence that I couldn't have booked with Expedia, and ended up having to show her her hotel on Expedia.com and called one of their representatives so she could work it out with them.

That being said, I finally got a room, and I was very impressed. It's an odd place...the long-wide hallways and socializing areas reminded me of the hotel in "The Shining". Also, since it's apparently a corporate convention center, a vast majority of the clientele were in corporate groups and there for conferences. It's difficult to describe, but the place has a "cultish" feel to it. The bar was comfortable with plenty of space, a fire-place and pool-tables, and staffed by a delightful and engaging bartender. The room was immaculate, roomy and comfortable, and the king-bed was very comfortable. It's a relaxing and quiet atmosphere. I would recommend it to couples desiring a romantic retreat.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank KihOshk
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 June 2007

A word of warning: the Dolce Norwalk is a conference center, not a hotel in the traditional sense. I needed a room on short notice, checked Tripadvisor, and the Dolce Norwalk was the only one that showed any rooms. I booked it online and got the email confirmation. It was a Saturday when I arrived and the place looked closed. Even the front doors were locked. I finally found someone who said they weren't expecting any checkins on Saturday and what conference group was I with? Clearly, if it was only for conference attendees they should not have booked me a room in the first place, but after many phone calls to supervisors the man came back and said since they had confirmed the room they would honor it and let me stay. In the meantime I had used the lobby WiFi and found another hotel (Four Points Norwalk) that had one room open. I went there.

That said, the people were friendly, the place looks beautiful and if I were coordinating a conference, I might well book it. But if you're an individual traveller, it's probably not for you.

Stayed June 2007