“Very Good”
Review of Match

Match
Reserve with OpenTable
Match is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 456 Restaurants in Norwalk
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: So. Main St & Water St.
Transit: The SoNo train station (Metro North) is walking distance to Match.
Reviewed May 15, 2018

Seems to be the place to go in South Norwalk. Had a nine o'clock reservation on a Saturday. Was seated within a few minutes of arrival.

Very nice ambience. Was a little pricey but worth it.

Great to see a restaurant in this are that is not winding down early.

Will try again.

Reviewed April 24, 2018 via mobile

It has been over 4 years since we have been back to eat at MATCH and the food is still as delicious as I remembered it. We sat in the back Bar area that is small, but cozy and where they make their Coal Oven Pizzas.

They do have a large Bar area in the front, but we preferred sitting in the back were it is less noisy. Our Bartender was wonderful, she had a great personality, and made sure we were taken good care of. We shared the Steak and Fries (14oz Sirloin) and creamed Spinach that was simply delicious!! And those crispy fries were out of this world. One drawback for me is that the Restrooms are down a flight of stairs, not on the same floor. However, I am not sure if they have an elevator for people who cannot make it it to the lower level. All and all, this is a great place to dine with friends and have a delicious meal and a glass of wine.

Reviewed April 23, 2018

Have visited Match on many occasions and it has become one of my favotite restaurants, We visited again on Saturday and it continued to live up to my very high expectations. The service is top notch. The menu is excellent with a variety of creative options. Always a twist on the typical. There are no daily specials as the menu is prepared daily. We tried a few items that we have never ordered before and were very pleased with everything. It gets very busy, especially on the weekends so reservations are suggested. I noticed some comments about the cost etc.. While it is not inexpensive, it is quality, so I expect to pay a bit more for great food and great service.

Reviewed March 18, 2018

This is a very good establishment thriving for nearly 20 years on competitive “restaurant row” (Washington Street) in South Norwalk. This is not an inexpensive restaurant, but everything was well prepared and often creative in a good way. The Osso Bucco was excellent, as were the scallops entree and the Arctic char. We had a carrot appetizer that was also an interesting and tasty combination of ingredients. Cocktails were generous and the service was friendly, well informed and attentive.

Reviewed March 3, 2018

Five of us showed up for a 830pm reservation. Bald headed hostess told us the table was still eating desert but wouldn’t be long.

At 845pm when I asked again, we were told that they were paying the bill.

At 9pm, after we ordered and finished expensive drinks, I asked again. I was told: “although they paid their bill, they decided to order desert.”

Bald head guy: if you are going to lie, at least keep your stories straight.

This place is a rip-off and clearly they misrepresent the time to dinner so you will sit at bar and order expensive drinks with high margin.

Skip at all costs!!!!

@management: we live in Norwalk and eat out 3-5xs a week. Don’t ever expect to see our family there again. Figure out what you’re lying costs you....

3  Thank DarienJim
Matt S, Owner at Match, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2018

Hi Jim from Darien. First off let me thank you for choosing Match, secondly I can appreciate your frustration but I don't appreciate you calling myself and my team liars and crooks. Unfortunately technology failed both you and my manage Dave Saturday night. You were able to make an 8:30 opentable reservation at 8:13 because we had a table arrive a half hour late for their reservation and the timing in the system was thrown off. Dave (the general manager and HOST) was doing his best to work a few different tables to accommodate your last minute reservation, unfortunately both of those tables, which mind you are the only tables that accommodate 5 or more guests, were moving incredibly slow. When I asked Dave if he offered to buy you a round of our incredible expensive drinks he said you already purchased the round and his intention was to take care of you at the table which is our protocol. So I apologize all of this was not communicated to you clearly but as I'm sure you saw, we were incredibly busy at that moment which is about the time all of our 7:00 reservations turn over. I also apologize I didn't have a chance to speak with you that evening but by the time I made it out of the kitchen to welcome you with appetizers at your table that was just reset you had already walked out. Our intention is to seat our guests at their reserved times and have them enjoy themselves for dinner and drinks and then continue the party at the bar. If guests decide to sit and linger at the table it throws off the timing a bit and unfortunately as restaurant workers and owners we tend to be at their mercy, this trend has gotten worse over the 19 years I have owned Match due to the traffic on I-95 and cellphones. By the looks of your profile you are well traveled and I would imagine you have encountered this sort of experience before, I apologize if it wasn't handled to your expectations and I would be happy to show you why Match has been a favorite to so many locals for so many years. My email is mstorch@matchsono.com if you would like to reach out so we can have a conversation. I also left you a voicemail this morning, please call me back anytime.

Warmest regards,