Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park

Reviewed August 19, 2018
GarciaEmelie
Springfield, Massachusetts
via mobile

All reviews zip line rock climbing rope swing wake boarding life guards kids ranging changing rooms an absolute blast different activities floating around place is clean available for purchase six flags bring chairs cliff diving picnic tables life jackets are required
Reviewed August 30, 2018 via mobile

This place is pretty cool. It's dangerous in that there are teenagers overseeing the majority of unregulated activities, but all-in-all, the benefits seem to outweigh the risks. It's a lot of fun.

Our group, in three vehicles, arrived at the park to discover the parking area not within eye shot of the entrance to the park, but down the road. After passing the entrance, I instructed my teenaged son to pull over to the side so I could quickly grab our heavy cooler out of the back before he went down to the parking area. As soon as I jump out, a man is SCREAMING at us to pull ahead. I remain out of the vehicle and tell my son to pull ahead. As we make our way down towards the parking lots, there is a sandy pull-off spot so I point to it and my son pulls off again. There are no signs advising against this. But the SCREAMING man has followed us, unbeknownst to me, and is literally enraged. I am truly shocked at this guy's behavior so I turn to walk towards him to try to talk to him. After all, we are adults. Not happening. He continues to SCREAM in his loudest voice as he walks up to me. Now only 6 feet away, he hasn't adjusted his volume and berates me about simple rules and threatens to not let us into the park. He continues his fit at peak volume so people are literally afraid to walk on our side of the street. He screams about traffic backing up, the town shutting him down, and that we will be the cause. I remain silent and am wondering if I'm being punked at this point. He then stops screaming, turns and walks away.

After witnessing the behavior of many of the visitors in the park that day, I have no doubt this guy has been dealing with obnoxious fools all summer and he has probably had his fill. But we had no idea we were breaking a rule. If so, I wouldn't have done it and I would have at least offered an apology.

This guy, who may or may not be an owner, is a condescending disrespectful jerk. And he is at the front entrance, at the point of sale, parading around in his cammo outfit and tattoos like a big bad bouncer at a bar, screaming at his customers. He did an awesome job taking care of our minivan full of awestruck kids who got to see firsthand what the grown-up version of the school bully looks like. As did the 40 or so other customers in the vicinity.

In conclusion...this is a really fun park but the owner needs basic anger management skills and perhaps a better understanding of customer appreciation. Or soon he wont have to worry about a traffic problem. One day and $400 in support of his efforts is enough for us. We won't be back.

2  Thank Toby N
Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

A bunch of us took our children to Brownstone on a Sunday, ages ranging from 9 yrs old to 16 yrs old. They all enjoyed the zip lining, rock wall climbing, rope swings, cliff jumps and kayaks, lots to do for all levels! We were able to bring in food and drink which is a huge savings. The things I did not like about Brownstone were that it seemed to lack enough staff. The wake boarding was a waste of time and money! They should really split age groups up and not have kids working the ropes while sitting with friends on their phones. The system for wakeboarding was not efficient at all. All in all location, value, challenge level was good would go again!

1  Thank Barbara J
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Place was nice. Staff was rude. We had eticket and still had to wait in line with people who didnt have tickets

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

It's a quarry made into a water park and it's very Lol! Before you enter the park you must sign a waiver it costs 36$ if your going to do all the activities 26$ just to swim or watch,get there early picnic tables are very limited,pack your own lunch,they do have food stand if needed yes you can even bring in your own cooler,No glass bottles tho.the staff is very friendly lots of life guards made me feel safe,zip lines were awesome,the whole day was awsome!!lots of things to jump off over and through.your going to EXHAUSTED at the end off the day,it's worth the money!! Not for very little kids about 3 and under.We will be back next year.the water is very clean too.

Reviewed August 9, 2018

We arrived at 10:30 am on a Thursday morning. The place was already crowded. As the hours passed they just kept letting more and more people in. The activities were fun and it would have been a great day if they had limited the number of people in the park. The lines for the activities were very long, sometimes 20-30 minutes for a zip line that lasted all of 60 seconds. They had hundreds of life jackets available for use at no charge. On the way out I asked one of the attendants if they had a limit on how many people they admit each day and she said they stop admitting people when they run out of life jackets and there were hundreds of life jackets still hung up when we left. Good idea, great activities, but too crowded. We stayed 2 and half hours.