“WORST PLACE EVER!!!!!!!!!!! AVOID”
Review of Riverdale Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portland
Riverdale Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 14 January 2015

this place is the worst place to go to...EVEN AS A LAST RESORT!!!! the only thing going for this place is the manager BONNIE
the owners daughter ashley is rude and thinks she can do whatever she wants...the rooms are infested with stink bugs and u are constantly killing them...the cops are there all the time for domestic violence and the drunks tht like to hang around...this is literally the DIRTIEST place in the state...i would have slept in a tent if i knew how bad this place was!!!!!and somebody needs to call the health department!!! from the outside it looks nice and even in the lobby it looks good but once u get into a room u see the real thing...there was burn marks in the carpet in the room i stayed in...i was also told there was free hot breakfast every day and what did i get when i went to get my breakfast??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!! this place is so nasty!!!!!
AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Room Tip: the only rooms tht get wifi r the rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank nonya b

Reviewed 26 September 2014 via mobile

My girlfriendand I came to visit a few of our old friends in Colchester. The room we stood in was under my girlfriend's name when we arrived front desk informed us that they had lost her reservation. When we told them we booked it weeks ago at a reasonable rate,yet they chose NOT to honor it. We ended up paying the full rate that weekend! In addition,the T.V was out of date, unable to make lpng distance calls,stains all over the floor,the hair dryer in the bathroom didnt work and the breakfast in the morning was a joke! We ended up leaving the next day when we saw the broom/kitchen closet door open...all I can say is where is the health dept!! Its reputation precedes it, stay away!

• Stayed: September 2014
8  Thank TimMalino33
Reviewed 18 August 2014

If you are looking for hookers and junkies well you have found the spot! My brother and I were attending a wedding at the St. Clements up the road from the motel. After the wedding we found needles in the parking lot and I mean A LOT of needles (for drug use) and right near our room hookers having sex right outside our window!! I won't even go into the dispute my brother and I had with management! I would not recommend this cheap motel to anyone! Save your money and go else where!!

Room Tip: Don't the guest laundry room was out of service and bugs ALL OVER THE PLACE. unclean and unsaf...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Carol A
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This may say riverdale motel but its now known as the riverdale inn and suites which in actuality has no suites. First off the customer service is the only thing going for this place but it stops there. We reserved a room that looked like it hadn't changed since the 80's. We complained to the desk and asked about the suites, even if we needed to pay more. The manager told us that the suites were currently occupied by weekly tenants. A friend of mine from Portland told me there are no suites and that any motel that says inns and suites is indian owned. The manager was white so maybe the owner is indian? Anyway the manager took us to another room which looked exactly the same. By the 3rd room the manager said he could give me a discount and apologized that the rooms were not newer. Obviously not his fault. Even the cheapest motels around at least update tvs or furniture. This place is a negative 4 stars. Spend the extra money and go to Cromwell or Middletown.

Room Tip: Super 8 in Cromwell is the best in this area
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank joe b
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I checked in and paid for a week in advance at 1:15 pm on Wednesday May 21, 2014. I was told I could not access the room until 3 pm. My wife and I went on with plans to visit family in the area. Upon returning, we entered the room to find it absolutely reeked of cigarettes and alcohol. I called the front desk to complain, and was only told, "That's the only room we have available." I went to the front desk and spoke to a man I later found out was the establishment's owner. I asked if he was aware of the room's condition, and instead of making any effort to appease me, he simply said, "There are other hotels in the area, we'll just give you your money back and you can go to one of them!"

He refunded my money, it is the only thing this motel did do correctly. Based on my personal experience having paid for a room at this motel, I cannot recommend anyone who uses TripAdvisor to stay here. It is dirty, it smells bad, and the owner is rude to customers.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 12 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel in order to attend a weeding at nearby St. Clements Castle. I was afraid of staying because other comments in tripadvisor, but I found the place clean, in good shape and comfortable. The service at the front desk was very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank noamkk
Reviewed 7 April 2010

While visiting CT for a baptism, we ended up staying at the Riverdale Motel. It was honestly the worst travel experience of our lives. When we arrived, the floor was so filthy, we had to ask the front desk for a vacuum. I vacuumed it myself, so it was at least clean enough for our two young children to play on. Then, we found a rolled up dollar bill with drug residue in it!!! We got the boys tucked in---one with me and one with my husband---and after a short time, I opened my eyes and saw bugs crawling over the bed that my son and I were in! They were also crawling all over the wall behind the headboard. We grabbed our sleeping children out of the beds, and my husband ran out to the front desk. The desk clerk, whom I beleive was the asst. manager, moved us into another room. We also got our camera out and started taking photos of the bugs, so they could be indentified in case they had bitten the children. The desk clerk tried to grab our camera and told us we could not take pictures. He began arguing with my husband saying that we "brought the bugs in with us". The employee continued to argue, so I had my husband call the police. When I checked the beds in the new room that our boys had just fallen back asleep in, I saw more bugs!!!!!! At that point we were so disgusted and wanted to leave (even though it was almost midnight), but the police had arrived, so we were not able to leave. After the ordeal was over and we were permitted to leave, we grabbed our things and left to look for a different hotel in the middle of the night. Fortunately, we did find a very nice hotel, but we spent most of the early morning hours checking for bites, trying to get everyone showered, and checking our bags and clothing for bugs. After this terrible experience, we ended up heading back home to PA in the morning and did not even stay for the baptism we had driven all that way to share in. We did call to report the motel and it was investigated. They were found to have a "less than perfect" reputation and other rooms were found to have bed bugs. The Riverdale did refund our money, but we never received an apology or any sort of communication from them. This horrible experience has certainly affected our entire family, and we will never look at hotels the same way again! We hope that no other family has to experience anything like this!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
10  Thank vespersky
RiverdaleMotel, Manager at Riverdale Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2010

We are sorry these guests had the experience they did with us when they attempted to stay last year. Unfortunately they discovered their room had bugs. This is also how we found out. The health inspector confirmed the 1 room had bed bugs. He did inspect more rooms including the adjacent rooms and found no signs in any other room. Even with treatment that 1 room became re-infested so we closed it. The exterminator assures us we are now bed bug fee but we have kept that room closed to guests. Our guests are very important to us and we want their stay here to become a pleasant memory for them.

Been to Riverdale Motel? Share your experiences!