“Managers Bonnie and husband D will treat you like family.”
Review of Riverdale Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portland
Riverdale Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 6 December 2016

As a medical sales consultant for the past 25 years, I have traveled extensively throughout the US, staying at all the most well known hotel chains. I have rarely experienced the kind of warmth doled out by Riverdale motel managers Bonnie and D. Gracious and accommodating, they are genuinely concerned about your comfort.and are quick to respond to your needs.

Many of the rooms have been updated with new furnishings and flat screen TVs. Refrigerators and microwaves are in most rooms. It's obvious that this husband/wife management team has worked hard to create a comfortable living space for travelers.

So whether you're traveling for business or pleasure..plan on staying.for one night or several weeks, check out the Riverdale Motel in Portland, Connecticut.. Bonnie will greet you with a smile and make you feel right at home....

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Kelli49

Reviewed 14 January 2015

this place is the worst place to go to...EVEN AS A LAST RESORT!!!! the only thing going for this place is the manager BONNIE
the owners daughter ashley is rude and thinks she can do whatever she wants...the rooms are infested with stink bugs and u are constantly killing them...the cops are there all the time for domestic violence and the drunks tht like to hang around...this is literally the DIRTIEST place in the state...i would have slept in a tent if i knew how bad this place was!!!!!and somebody needs to call the health department!!! from the outside it looks nice and even in the lobby it looks good but once u get into a room u see the real thing...there was burn marks in the carpet in the room i stayed in...i was also told there was free hot breakfast every day and what did i get when i went to get my breakfast??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!! this place is so nasty!!!!!
AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Room Tip: the only rooms tht get wifi r the rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank nonya b
Reviewed 26 September 2014 via mobile

My girlfriendand I came to visit a few of our old friends in Colchester. The room we stood in was under my girlfriend's name when we arrived front desk informed us that they had lost her reservation. When we told them we booked it weeks ago at a reasonable rate,yet they chose NOT to honor it. We ended up paying the full rate that weekend! In addition,the T.V was out of date, unable to make lpng distance calls,stains all over the floor,the hair dryer in the bathroom didnt work and the breakfast in the morning was a joke! We ended up leaving the next day when we saw the broom/kitchen closet door open...all I can say is where is the health dept!! Its reputation precedes it, stay away!

• Stayed: September 2014
8  Thank TimMalino33
Reviewed 18 August 2014

If you are looking for hookers and junkies well you have found the spot! My brother and I were attending a wedding at the St. Clements up the road from the motel. After the wedding we found needles in the parking lot and I mean A LOT of needles (for drug use) and right near our room hookers having sex right outside our window!! I won't even go into the dispute my brother and I had with management! I would not recommend this cheap motel to anyone! Save your money and go else where!!

Room Tip: Don't the guest laundry room was out of service and bugs ALL OVER THE PLACE. unclean and unsaf...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Carol A
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This may say riverdale motel but its now known as the riverdale inn and suites which in actuality has no suites. First off the customer service is the only thing going for this place but it stops there. We reserved a room that looked like it hadn't changed since the 80's. We complained to the desk and asked about the suites, even if we needed to pay more. The manager told us that the suites were currently occupied by weekly tenants. A friend of mine from Portland told me there are no suites and that any motel that says inns and suites is indian owned. The manager was white so maybe the owner is indian? Anyway the manager took us to another room which looked exactly the same. By the 3rd room the manager said he could give me a discount and apologized that the rooms were not newer. Obviously not his fault. Even the cheapest motels around at least update tvs or furniture. This place is a negative 4 stars. Spend the extra money and go to Cromwell or Middletown.

Room Tip: Super 8 in Cromwell is the best in this area
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank joe b
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I checked in and paid for a week in advance at 1:15 pm on Wednesday May 21, 2014. I was told I could not access the room until 3 pm. My wife and I went on with plans to visit family in the area. Upon returning, we entered the room to find it absolutely reeked of cigarettes and alcohol. I called the front desk to complain, and was only told, "That's the only room we have available." I went to the front desk and spoke to a man I later found out was the establishment's owner. I asked if he was aware of the room's condition, and instead of making any effort to appease me, he simply said, "There are other hotels in the area, we'll just give you your money back and you can go to one of them!"

He refunded my money, it is the only thing this motel did do correctly. Based on my personal experience having paid for a room at this motel, I cannot recommend anyone who uses TripAdvisor to stay here. It is dirty, it smells bad, and the owner is rude to customers.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 12 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel in order to attend a weeding at nearby St. Clements Castle. I was afraid of staying because other comments in tripadvisor, but I found the place clean, in good shape and comfortable. The service at the front desk was very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank noamkk

Been to Riverdale Motel? Share your experiences!