Inn at Middletown(Middletown)
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
US$149
Residence Inn
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 7, 2010

While visiting CT for a baptism, we ended up staying at the Riverdale Motel. It was honestly the worst travel experience of our lives. When we arrived, the floor was so filthy, we had to ask the front desk for a vacuum. I vacuumed it myself, so it was at least clean enough for our two young children to play on. Then, we found a rolled up dollar bill with drug residue in it!!! We got the boys tucked in---one with me and one with my husband---and after a short time, I opened my eyes and saw bugs crawling over the bed that my son and I were in! They were also crawling all over the wall behind the headboard. We grabbed our sleeping children out of the beds, and my husband ran out to the front desk. The desk clerk, whom I beleive was the asst. manager, moved us into another room. We also got our camera out and started taking photos of the bugs, so they could be indentified in case they had bitten the children. The desk clerk tried to grab our camera and told us we could not take pictures. He began arguing with my husband saying that we "brought the bugs in with us". The employee continued to argue, so I had my husband call the police. When I checked the beds in the new room that our boys had just fallen back asleep in, I saw more bugs!!!!!! At that point we were so disgusted and wanted to leave (even though it was almost midnight), but the police had arrived, so we were not able to leave. After the ordeal was over and we were permitted to leave, we grabbed our things and left to look for a different hotel in the middle of the night. Fortunately, we did find a very nice hotel, but we spent most of the early morning hours checking for bites, trying to get everyone showered, and checking our bags and clothing for bugs. After this terrible experience, we ended up heading back home to PA in the morning and did not even stay for the baptism we had driven all that way to share in. We did call to report the motel and it was investigated. They were found to have a "less than perfect" reputation and other rooms were found to have bed bugs. The Riverdale did refund our money, but we never received an apology or any sort of communication from them. This horrible experience has certainly affected our entire family, and we will never look at hotels the same way again! We hope that no other family has to experience anything like this!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
10  Thank vespersky
RiverdaleMotel, Manager at Riverdale Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2010

We are sorry these guests had the experience they did with us when they attempted to stay last year. Unfortunately they discovered their room had bugs. This is also how we found out. The health inspector confirmed the 1 room had bed bugs. He did inspect more rooms including the adjacent rooms and found no signs in any other room. Even with treatment that 1 room became re-infested so we closed it. The exterminator assures us we are now bed bug fee but we have kept that room closed to guests. Our guests are very important to us and we want their stay here to become a pleasant memory for them.

Reviewed December 31, 2009

We stayed at the Riverdale for a long weekend. Large, clean rooms with lots of parking right outside the door. The highlight was the two old guys in the office. This is like hearing Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy in person and they are probably not much younger! These guys feed each other lines with a straight face that had us laughing all the way home.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ArrigoniBridge
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I stayed at the Riverdale Motel on the evening of Friday, Sept 16, 2009, in Room # 50, in the main building, the one closest to the river.

At first appearances, the Motel looked very nice and clean, the room was spacious and comfortable, the desk staff very friendly. Looked like a very nice place, and was very convenient to my destinations.

BUT....

When I woke up on Saturday Morning, Sept 17, I found numerous blood spots on the bed sheets, and around a dozen bedbugs which I "terminated" vial the thumb squash method.

About a week later, when all the bed bug bites finally "blossomed", the true extent of the infestation was made quite clear, I had well over one hundred bites (small red, very itchy, welts all over my arms, legs and feet. I wore shorts and T-shirt when I slept, so my body was somewhatr protected, just the exposed areas got bitten.

Maybe only Room #50 has this bedbug infestation, but I would advise any traveller to BEWARE! and make sure that you get a non-infested room! Stay away from Room #50!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
6  Thank Peregrine47
Reviewed September 7, 2009

09/06/09
Stayed over one night over Labor Day Weekend. The place is clean, quiet and inexpensive. It's only about 2 miles from Middletown where there are plenty of places to eat. The towels are thick and fluffy too.
I plan to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mylifercn
A TripAdvisor Member
Rochester, NY
Reviewed May 24, 2004

Had a great visit to Riverdale at Easter time.
Enjoyed the morning coffee.
Was impressed by the large size of the room.
Also liked the in-room fridge.
It was clean and comfortable. A great deal for the money.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member