“Nothing to write home about, but try not to ask for too much.”
Review of Courtyard Shelton

Courtyard Shelton
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
Reviewed 2 July 2017

This was an average stay with a couple of inconvenient bumps. First were the Smelly Towels in our bathroom.....

When I booked I asked for 2 rooms on the same floor, but not next to each other. The guy at the front desk said "Yes, we have taken care of that for you" I figured one room on one end of the hall and the other half way down, Instead we got one room directly across from the other room. The property did not seem that busy either, so I guess not much of an effort went into trying to honor my request.

Like I said, the first night we stayed, we took late showers from the days travel. The towels had a funky smell to them. We used them and then requested a new batch of towels the next morning. The room was ok for a King room, again, pretty basic.

The other issue I had was trying to take a mid day nap at 3pm in the afternoon. We had a long night of travel, was out very early in the morning the next day and I had about an hour an a half down time before our next outing. I figured I'd grab a nap before we headed out for the rest of the day/night. Not five minutes after I was laying down, I hear banging out side my window. It stopped. Then 5 minutes later yelling and talking in Spanish outside my window. We were on the 4th floor and I went to the window and there was a work crew working on a bunch of new Air Conditioners being installed on a lower roof. So much for my power nap.....

The property itself was ok, You could tell it was an older Marriott, the elevators were super slow. The rooms were clean, everything was in the right place. My kids enjoyed the indoor pool. Oh, the A/C units were very LOUD.

Room Tip: We had bad luck with our room placement, so I don't know what is good.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
CYSheltonMgr, General Manager at Courtyard Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Dear F_Jacky2,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your feedback. We take our guests comments very seriously as it tells us what we are doing well and where we can improve. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and please be assured that I have reviewed these details with my Operations Manager and Department Heads for their immediate review and resolution. I am terribly sorry for the challenges you faced while staying with us. We hope to welcome you back again to show you the high level of service we are known for.

With Kind Regards,
Alan Miller

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

Let's begin with the positive. Rooms while needing a major refresh were very clean. Staff was friendly and the location is great.

I travel for business and always count on Marriotts as they are almost always a safe bet and typically well run.

Here is where the wheels came off:

Checked in Friday around 10pm. Lobby was unusually busy as were common areas but we figured maybe there was a wedding. Saw a security guard but again we thought maybe he was present because of an event. Relaxed in room for awhile and heard what sounded like a party going on. By 12:00 we were ready to go to sleep but the "party" was not only still going on but now had gotten louder and it was clear people were traveling back and forth from their rooms, slamming doors and keeping their party room hotel door open only adding to the noise.

After a long day of work then travel this was unacceptable. We called the front desk who sent the guard up to ask them to quiet down. The guard simply asked some of the folks in the hallway who were the ones making the noise if they "heard a party?" Of course they said no! 20 minutes later we called again...this time the night manager came up to threaten them and told them he could smell marijuana!

Yep, we smelled it too, which means whoever was smoking was smoking a lot and considering it's a non smoking hotel this was pretty baffling not to mention stupid. 5 minutes later they were at it again with noise increasing and by 1:15 I called downstairs again and again until the cops finally came at 2:15am. Apparently they kicked out the "smokers" but as it turned out it was still noisy for another 30 minutes as the "other" party down the hall continued.

After meeting with and complaining to the manager the next morning he shared that every weekend they deal with parents of kids playing in sports tournaments who put the kids to bed and then party their tails off as if they're still in college. Worse yet the kids run around unsupervised and many of these same so called adults "expect" the hotel to "babysit" them. At night they get drunk and disturb everyone else and couldn't care less about the other guests.

So they have a full hotel which is terrific for their bottom line but the rooms get trashed, people complain, they move the complainers to a different floor (like they did for us and 5 other couples) and each weekend it's like groundhogs day again.

The manager refunded our stay but explained he is powerless because they rent so many rooms. Yes they refuse to listen but they will gladly pay the fine for smoking in the room etc.

During the week it's mostly business people which means normal noise levels.

If you do stay on a weekend ask for a quiet floor or you will deal with the obnoxious entitled guests who will keep you up!.

1  Thank Jon L
CYSheltonMgr, General Manager at Courtyard Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Jon,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott, Shelton & thank you for providing us with your feedback. It is great to hear that your room was very clean and you found the staff to be friendly. I am terribly sorry however to learn that your stay wasn't as enjoyable as it should have been. Please accept my sincere apology. I am glad the Manager on Duty was able to address your concerns to the best of his ability, although we strive to provide our guests with a trouble-free stay. Should your travels bring you back to the Shelton, CT area, please allow me to be your personal point of contact.

With kind regards,
Alan Miller
amiller@waterfordhotelgroup.com

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

Very well maintained facility. Large enough to have several events going on at once and never felt crowded. Staff is kind and welcoming as well as attentive to needs. Pool and fitness facility is well maintained also. If I could add 1 negative it would be the wait on elevators. The elevators are small and take a while to arrive. Again, it is a very busy facility - we were there for a basketball tournament with our entire organization, they had 2 wedding parties they were hosting and an additional event with a ton of little kids. The facility ran without a glitch except for the elevator.

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

Family stayed here for a basketball tournament. I had my 3 sons. We all stayed in one room. The king suite had a totally separate living room area with pull out full size bed and flat screen. The double doors closed and we had our king room. Liked that we could close the doors. No free breakfast and the restaurant area is super small. We just headed out for all of our food. A ton of restaurants are very close. A TJMaxx is just down the road too! Beds were pretty comfy.

Reviewed 3 June 2017

The room was much larger than at other Courtyards we've stayed at. Bed was very comfortable. Special note is deserved by the couch - very cool design. The room was very nice.

The lobby was similarly very nice. It had a modern feel. The bar and restaurant area looked very new as well.

The only quirk was the bathroom was small so that you had to back around the toilet in order to open the door.

I would still highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Shelton from May 20th to May 21st to attend a graduation. The hotel is situated on a quaint hill near a few shops. Upon entering the lobby the front desk was within a few feet. The ground floor layout has a bar, restaurant, and food mart. The reservations staff were pleasant and check in was very quick. We went to our room and our accommodations were comfortable. The only thing that I did not like was our view which overlooked a roof below. We ate breakfast the next morning at the restaurant and the food was okay, similar to a fast food establishment. Overall, I experience was good for a one night stay.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2017

I had mixed feelings about our stay. Although the hotel was nicely furnished and the room was beautiful, there were a few issues with our stay. When we first arrived, the toilet in our room was broken and not flushing properly. Employees did ask if we wanted to change rooms, but we were headed out to meet friends only a few minutes after checking in and putting our things in our room that we told them to just fix it while we were gone. It was fixed though when we got back; however it still flushed slightly strange.
The bartender working the night we stayed was EXCELLENT. To be quite honest, he made up for a lot of the stay. He was pleasant and chatted with us while we sat at the bar for a night cap.
The elevators buttons were broken and didn't light up. It seemed like the elevators did read when you hit a button, you just had no idea whether you had or not!
Upon returning to our room, we found the housekeeper had left only 3 tissues in the tissue box and with my husband's allergies, this was unexpected. The only other thing that upset us was the AC in our room. Although it did work and was ok, it turned on and off frequently during the night and was very noisy.

Overall we had a pretty decent stay and probably would stay again. It was good for the price, bed was comfortable and it suited our needs.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelton
0.3 km away
1.5 km away
Extended Stay America - Shelton - Fairfield County
3.3 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford

Been to Courtyard Shelton? Share your experiences!