“Perfect Family Event”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southbury
The Cornucopia at Oldfield Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Southbury B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Our family had to gather for a celebration of life service after the death of our beloved aunt. We stayed here at the Cornucopia at Oldfield B&B where Christine and Ed provided us with amazing hospitality, the cleanest and most well-appointed rooms imaginable, perfectly clean bathrooms, comfortable common rooms that we used heavily to gather. The breakfasts were delicious, and they had snacks and drinks for us at other times, too.

The importance of this kind of hospitality at times of loss and family gathering is huge. These hosts gave of themselves in so many ways that we wanted to embrace them into our family.

Christine is an expert caterer, so we asked her to prepare the food for the service. This food was over-the-top perfect and unique. People stayed and stayed to talk to each other and remember our aunt. Meanwhile, Ed offered to record the service for us and was busy recording and then transferring the files. He and Christine are a well coordinated team.

I love houses that ramble enough that it seems you might get lost. This house is a charming old New England building that rambles in that way. It has fabulous old wood floors. They've updated some parts of it so it is easy to use as well as beautiful. The staircases reminded me of my grandmother's place in southern Connecticut and that added even more to the feeling of warmth and elegance.

On a side note: They have a room that I call the honeymoon suite (The Admiral Aston Bedchamber) that I'm recommending to my brother who is getting married this spring.

Thank you, Christine and Ed, you are the best.

Room Tip: The beds in all the rooms are amazingly comfortable, so you can't get a bad room for sleeping we...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lavwind

Reviewed 30 November 2011

I recommend this Inn. I was travelling alone, arrived late and found a welcome letter and key downstairs. When I arrived to my room, I was immediately surprised to learn it shared a common bathroom. I will not share a bathroom, so I found the innkeepers who were more than happy to move my room to a suite with a private bath. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The room was cozy and charming. Ed brought me fresh water from the well in a carafe. Breakfast was early, but I was able to have everything I needed and was more than comfortable while chatting with Christine. I was pleasantly surprised that she charged me the rate of the cheaper room.

Room Tip: Please be aware that not all rooms have a private bath.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank NJBetsy
cornucopiabnb, Owner at The Cornucopia at Oldfield Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Our historic home was built in 1818 and renovated in 1997 to provide private exclusive bathrooms for each of the guest rooms. Some of the bathrooms are en-suite and others are adjacent to the specific guest room. Each guest is also provided with a bathrobe for their comfort. We are happy to move a guest to a different room, if possible, when a change is requested.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

You may wish this was your house after you've experienced the warm hospitality of Christine and Ed. One of the most beautiful houses in Conneticut I feel sure. The room was pretty and comfortable and the bathroom like stepping back in time but with 21st century amenities. I can only imagine how lovely it would be to sit by the fire on a snowy day or be there in summer and enjoy the garden and pool. Breakfast is different each morning and if you eat en famille you get the chance to talk with people from other parts. When you want to go anywhere Christine will give you local knowledge and maps. Be warned though if you go to The Curtis House to eat you will need to be very hungry.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank floridacool
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at Conucopia at Oldfied B & B for two nights in early October while in CT visiting friends. We loved it from the moment we drove into the driveway, starting with the stacked stone entry and surrounding walls, the well maintained lush grounds, the pool and surrounding gardens, the picket fence and stepping stone entry flanked by flowers, culminating in Christine's warm welcome as we entered the inn. It felt like we had just arrived at home. Christine and Ed are truly cut out for this business. They are down to earth, sincerely friendly people, who clearly love where they are and what they are doing and want to share it with guests. The building is on the National Historic Registry but there is nothing fussy, ornate or standoffish about this place. Just good and historically significant bones, a huge cooking fireplace in the common room that you can really warm up to, rustic antiques, comfy couches and armchairs, but also a flat screened TV where you can stream your favorite programs. The guest rooms are organized to afford maximum privacy, and each is charmingly and comfortably decorated with taste and restraint. There are pictures of family scattered about, books and magazines about all sorts of things, and even a picture book made by the grandchildren for Christine's birthday. Everything has a personal story which Christine and Ed will be happy to share. Oh did I mention the breakfast? The eggs, sausage, yogurt, granola...everything but the fresh fruit... is from right down the street. Christine and Ed are extremely knowledgeable about the area and can suggest places to explore and are happy to secure reservations at nearby restaurants. We had a fabulous time!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank chris752CC
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We travel to this part of CT regularly and are always trying to find the "just right" place to stay. We may have found it this weekend when we stayed at The Cornucopia at Oldfield Bed and Breakfast. We stayed in the John Mosely Room which was spacious with a roomy bathroom and closet. There were refreshments available at all times, including fine wine, and several comfortable sitting rooms throughout the large house. Breakfast was ample and delicious -- very fresh! We were only there for a night and would have been quite happy to stay longer.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TravelFan15
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This is an exceptional place with lovely accommodation and delightful and welcoming owners, Ed and Christine. Our room was in the front of the house on the second floor. It was tastefully decorated, very comfortable, and quiet. Breakfast was excellent. We can't recommend the Cornucopia highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Five couples, friends for 40 years, spent a weekend in CT. Four of the couples stayed at the Cornucopia. (Fifth couple lived locally.) Rooms were great, baths were great, breakfasts were great. Common area was a comfortable seating area where we could all get together before and after events. Host and hostess, Ed and Christine, could not have been nicer and more helpful including -- get this -- providing transportation to the best restaurant in the area one night so we could have wine with dinner and not worry about driving the unfamiliar country roads at night.

Room Tip: Third floor suite is good if one reads at night while other is in bed Largest room has largest bath...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends