“Good food, excellent service, but very pricey”
Review of Cava Restaurant

Cava Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 204 Restaurants in Southington
Price range: US$18 - US$28
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Cava has established itself as a taste of luxury. An experience of Old world charm and romance, both in its decor and cuisine. Its upscale fine dining experience caters to those looking for an evening out, a special occasion, or private events. The cuisine is authentic Italian, using the finest ingredients. The menu alone exceeds any expectation. The daily additions to the menu, both appetizers and entrees are prepared daily by our executive chef based on the freshest market products. Cava expresses its zest in season, both during the holidays, and on our cocktail list. There's a charm with each season, that should be brought to the table.The luxurious decor reflects the old world charm, with modern nuances. The warm feeling of home, paired with a featured glass of wine is sure to put your mind at ease. Each room has a separate serenity encompassed by different fixtures. The "Fireplace room" and it's cozy, warm candle lit atmosphere will soothe you and your guests after a long day at the office, or for a romantic evening. The "sunroom", filled with light, white linen, and paired with the right company, makes for an impressive room for a private dining, or the right place to impress that someone special. The "sunroom" serves as a private banquet room for all occasions.When the sun sets, and the lights are low the "Main DIning Room" has a grand dining table for occasions with more intimate groups. Everyone can enjoy a cocktail,or glass of wine, at the granite top bar, surrounded by dark cherry wood. There is a more casual atmosphere in the back tavern, with high top tables for a "girls night out" or just a couple appetizers while watching "the game".In addition to the dining experience, the cuisine has upscale items with aged Angus certified steaks, fresh atlantic salmon, pasta dishes, lighter fare, and authentic flavors throughout. Cava strives to leave an impression. The dining experience is that of traditional Italian, perfect for a relaxing meal. Cava is well renowned for elegant private events. Private dining events range from wedding receptions, baby showers, bridal showers, business meetings, cocktail hours, birthdays, rehearsal dinners, holiday parties, and all business functions. Private rooms are available for any events.
Reviewed January 23, 2018

My wife, and her sister, and I recently had lunch here. Because we visited while their holiday decorations (which i thought were a bit much) were up, we had to order dinner even at lunch. The seabass and barramundi were straight from their menu, but i had a surf and turf special that came with a crab stuffed lobster tail and a small filet; all were very good. The crab bisque I had was also very good. Four glasses of wine plus desserts ran the total to $220 plus tip for lunch. Wait staff was very helpful; she double checked the crab bisque stock ingredients for me to verify there was no shellfish in the stock. Nice place to go for a special lunch but not one we'll visit often.

4  Thank garymwhipple

Reviewed January 22, 2018

A group of friends booked reservations for a Saturday evening. The place was jammed, and on-site parking limited (we parked in a neighboring lot, a couple of hundred yards away). Drinks were ordered and so the confusion began. A snippy young waitress, who couldn't resist calling everyone "Dear" or "Darling" - something which I find mildly offensive - mixed up the order, serving everyone the wrong drink. But it got straightened out and, well, no harm, no foul.

A word about the atmosphere. Holiday decorations, supposedly one of the attractions of the restaurant, were still up. Some people liked the lights everywhere, most did not. My opinion was the display was rather garish. Piped in music was too loud, necessitating an increased volume for simple conversation. Seating in the room we were in was dangerously crowded. If one needed to get up during the mail, threading your way through the room was an adventure.

Of course, the main reason you go to a restaurant is the food. I ordered penne alla vodka. What I received was penne apparently in a marinara-like sauce. It was "heavy" and bland. What I did manage to eat felt like a brick in my stomach. And there was very little taste; it was quite bland.

Those who had dishes like salmon or surf and turf found the food to be acceptable.

Surprisingly, the dessert menu was top-heavy with rich chocolate cake and the like, but there was no ice cream, sorbet or gelato.

All in all, the dining experience was forgettable.

3  Thank Parker871
Reviewed January 22, 2018

With many tables open in the bar area, we were surprised that we could not sit at a table and order drinks and apps, without ordering dinner, especially when some apps are as expensive as a dinner. Also, their policy did not allow for 2 separate checks, 1 per couple. I have never encountered this at another restaurant.

2  Thank Emily M
Reviewed January 18, 2018

This establishment is over priced, rude to their customers and has more fines that I swear are made up according to how their day is going. If you make a reservation for five and one person does not show up they will charge you a fee for the no show. The list goes on and on. Five of us made reservations for 3:00 and were told we had to eat and vacate by 4:30 to accommodate the next reservation after us. I will never give them my business again! Beware!!!

4  Thank Diane N
Reviewed January 9, 2018

Crowded Saturday in December..expected the service to be slow,,,boy was I surprised!
Elegant, great food outstanding service! I am coming tomorrow for lunch, next Friday for lunch and some Saturday in late January for dinner!

This place is a gem and I am one who frequents restaurants a lot!
LOVE IT HERE!!!!