All reviewsroom was cleanfront deskyogurta king size bedpancakesbreakfast was includedyour luggageincluding baconautomatic doorsstaff was friendlywaterbury arealake compouncecheck in was easypleasant stayparking lotoff the highwaynon smoking room
Reviewed September 11, 2017

I booked a King room at the Holiday Inn Express and requested a room low level near an elevator or exit. Checked in and handed our room key....second level (three level hotel) as far away from elevator as possible and a double/double room. Walked down to front desk and asked again for a King or at least a Queen bed room...we are under renovations and all we have a double/double rooms. Parking lot was not half full and all you have are double/double. We are under renovations was the response.....no apologies. I did report this customer service to IHG who forwarded it to HIE GM PAUL.
Paul apologized and got back to me in a timely fashion. Gave this a three star because breakfast was good, location was also good and Paul's quick response.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded September 13, 2017

Dear Scrantongolfnut,

I am sorry to see your review of your recent stay. I know we have already connected in regards to your stay with us.

I apologize again for any inconvenience.

Best,

Reviewed August 22, 2017

I am very easy to please when it comes to hotels. I travel a lot for work and selectively stay in Holiday Inn's all over the country. I had such faith in the brand, even though my company will gladly pay more money to put me up in a 5 star, I typically just choose what I know. So that brings me to the HIE in Southington. After a 5 hour drive and ten hour work day, I checked into the hotel around 9pm. Got into bed and turned on the tiny TV to help me sleep. At ten I woke up as I felt something crawling on me. I turned on the light and saw what I thought was a tick. I immediately got up to flush it down the toilet and when I got back into the bed I saw almost a dozen of these IN THE SHEETS. I honestly thought bed bugs were a myth or something you would find at a motel in the middle of no where. I have never been so disgusted and horrified in my entire life. I immediately packed up my stuff and ran to the front desk. The guy was very friendly and understanding. I know he could only do so much, but I expected a free room. I mean, honestly, there were bed bugs in my bed, I should stay for free at holiday inns for life. So disgusting. The best he could do was discount my rate from $175 to $115 and give me 10,000 HI points and a new room. Now that amount of points isn't even enough for one free room. Obviously I did not sleep a wink that night and had to tackle a long work day which started at 4am the next morning. Honestly, I could not wait to leave. Had I made the bed bug discovery earlier, I would have checked into a new hotel all together but it was so late and I had to be up so early, I let it go. I am Yelp Elite and have never given a bad review in my lifetime. This was well warranted. I was supposed to stay here the following Thursday for work and will ABSOLUTELY not come within a stone throw of this place. Of course I wrote a corporate complaint and am waiting to here back.

Room Tip: Check the beds for bed bugs
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank kyrareppe
Management response:Responded August 25, 2017

Dear Kyra,

Thank you for the detailed review. I am so sorry for your experience. I know we have connected earlier this week. If there is anything we can do further, please do not hesitate to reach out.

All the best,

pkochanski@southingtonhiexpress.com

Reviewed August 16, 2017

Spouse and I visited family in the area, Day's Inn was booked, so we tried HIE. Supposedly rec'd "the last available room".
I OBJECT to being charged a (refundable) $25 "damage fee". Guilty until proven innocent??? We are 60-ish, how big a party would we have?
Seemed clean, despite construction updates in progress. Room clean but simple. Roomy bathroom. Did not have time to try breakfast, except yogurt and coffee on our way out. Will stay at Residence Inn next time

Room Tip: Be sure to tell friends to avoid hotel charging "damage" up front.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded August 17, 2017

Dear JoAnne A,

I am so sorry to see your review about our incidentals policy. The idea is not so much to focus on damage, but additionally if you use the in-room phone, or make purchases from our market and bill to your room. It is a very common policy across hotels and our 57 locations. I am so sorry you received the impression you did.

We do hope that you try us again in the future. I am happy to see the remaining of your stay was satisfactory.

Have a wonderful day,

Reviewed July 25, 2017

The hotel in general is dated, but is currently in renovation. You can tell that the age of the building makes it very difficult to maintain. The building was clearly not originally built as a HIE, the lack of automatic entry door was a surprise.
Aside from some evidence of mildew on the wallpaper in the bathroom the cleanliness(things HSKP can control) was generally good. The A/C worked very good-actually had to turn it down at times due to room being too cold.
The pool area and amenities were lackluster but the hotel is working with what was once a TAGE Inn(for those who remember those).

My one issue was with the staff. Both mornings while sitting eating breakfast as soon as the clock struck 10AM the hotel staff would start grabbing food off of the line-while guests were still eating(including cutting in front of guests who were still getting items). As somebody who works in hotels this was a surprise to me. Guests take first priority and hotel needs to reiterate that staff should not enter breakfast area while guests are still there to help themselves. It was not just 1 employee, it was 5 to 6 employees and it didn't seem to bother them that they cut in front of guests.
The only other issue was Housekeeper on morning of checkout knocked on the door and did not announce herself. I answered the door because i believed it was my travel companion who I was expecting, so i was surprised to see an employee when i opened the door.

The hotel was perfect for what I was in town for. Hopefully the hotel invests money in this renovation because the property desperately needs it.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded July 28, 2017

Dear hospitalitykid1,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us a very detailed feedback. Reviews like these are among my favorite, as I can use these as a General Manager to improve my property.

We do appreciate your patience during our time of renovations, our building is truly showing its signs of age. As you pointed out, especially with the manual entry doors!

I am glad to see overall your stay was approving. I will use your feedback about breakfast and housekeeping in my next daily stand up meeting.

Have a wonderful day,

Reviewed July 23, 2017

This may be the oldest HIE in the country. Everything on the outside of the building is rusting. Everything on the inside is outdated. They are allegedly "renovating", but it's like putting a bow tie on a pig. Check out the pile of old mattresses out back. Nice. My room was musty, dirty, and had scuffs all over the wallpaper. They must have comped the good reviewers. There is nothing to see here. Just keep moving on to a different hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter as they do not face the interstate.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank TandemBikeRider
Management response:Responded July 25, 2017

Dear TandemBikeRider,

Thank you very much for the honest review. I am so sorry your review was less than satisfactory. I can agree our building is truly showing its signs of age.

Rest assured that it will be more than just a few new touches, our ownership group has spent several million dollars on improvements. Both the complete interior and exterior are either being replaced or stripped before repair.

Hopefully you stop by again in the beginning of 2018 to see the changes.

Sorry again for any inconveniences,