“Great property”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Lawrence, New York
“Great property”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I was a guest at 5 day conference at the Stamford Hilton. The hotel is incredible, huge open public spaces, massive grand ballroom and tons of meeting rooms, u never feel cramped.
The hotel is clean and friendly and has been improving every year for the last several that I have been coming.
The challenge here has always been the hotel staff, but they are definetly getting better.
My room as always was great, the Westin shower and bedding is always amazing.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank shlomo k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Pulled up to the hotel and there was no valet. Had to leave the car running while I went looking for the valet. Check in was smooth. Walked into the room on the 5th floor and smelled the damp right away. Noticed the wallpaper peeling and water spots/rust in the bathroom. I did call down and they put me in another room right away. Room on the 9th floor was fine. The restaurant meal was fine. Would not stay here again - it needs a refurb.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 9th or 10th floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank spicedawg

Travellers are raving about these Stamford hotels

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Parking - Not enough and the garage was not secure. Location - Although near the transportation center (Metro North), the location is somewhat desolate, not warm and inviting at all. The lobby is nice, open and lots of natural light. The room was clean, spacious and I did appreciate the Peter Thomas Roth toiletries. Staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
NY
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This hotel used to be the Westin. When it was a Westin, I remember it being a nice, and updated hotel. I needed to stay at Stamford for the night and booked the Hilton remembering it as a great hotel when it was a Westin. First impression, the parking garage was no longer secured but yet they still charge $10 for self parking and more for valet. The lobby remained the same which reassured me that my stay would be fine. However, once I got to the room that's when it finally hit me that this place was no longer the Westin. The hotel is a non-smoking property, yet the room had this weird musky smell. As I walked around, the room reminded me of a motel... the walls were dirty, there was rust and dust everywhere from the bathroom to the bedroom. I'm not quite sure what had happened because they claimed it was recently renovated.

I guess its not fair to compare it to the Westin but If they renovated a property that was already updated to begin with, wouldn't it be MUCH nicer? It just didn't make sense... Next time I'll stay somewhere else downtown...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Middletown, Rhode Island
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My story begins well before Christmas .. after booking a room for my wife's surprise Christmas vacation i realized that one room would not be enough, so i booked another, A king. After contacting the hotel, i was lucky enough to get Mrs. V on the phone and she helped me with upgrades and connecting rooms. I bugged her several times to make sure i was all set. Upon arrival we found that your pool and the executive level was closed. Mrs. V comped us for breakfast and some apps and cocktails and offered a shuttle to your sister hotel for pool time.
The rooms were absolutely fabulous as well as all your staff naming just a few that we were lucky enough to meet. Dominic who helped us with all of our luggage and packages during what was a very busy check in. Edward in the bar who was fantastic with our apps and regaled us with his magic tricks. And the other gentlemen who shuttled us to and from the train station.
Your hotel was always clean and very welcoming. It was a shame i never got to meet Mrs. V but i hope she enjoyed our famous home made Stollen bread. (name of the bread .... it wasn't stolen lol) Our house keepers did a magnificent job with our rooms and always made us feel at home.

Mr. G. you have a wonderful hotel and staff that really seem to care about the property. My wife was very surprised and was the best Christmas we have had in a long time. Probably the last with our sons.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Gerard D
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Check-in was smooth and friendly.

Pool still closed......bummer no notice was given. (booked through 3rd party web site)

Rooms very fresh and clean.

The self parking was free which was a bonus. Don't know if that is always the case or maybe was because my stay was at a slow time....Xmas week.

I'd go back.

• Stayed December 2011
Walpole, New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I recently spent two nights at the Stamford Hilton for a business conference. Check-in was smooth and quick. The staff was courteous and helpful. The room, which had one king size bed was clean and well appointed. My room was on the 3rd floor and it was generally quiet. However, I did at time hear noises from the room next door, so I could tell the walls were thin.

Why is it that bargain hotels such as Best Westerns and Red Roof Inn's offer free wireless Internet, but high end hotels such as this Hilton charge $9.95 a day for the same thing. In fact wireless was available only in the lobby areas. The room had wired Internet.

The pool was closed for renovations, to be completed by December 16, 2011. This wasn't a problem for me since my conference lasted all day and into the evening. No time to go swimming.

I had one meal at the hotel restaurant, a breakfast consisting of two eggs any style, bacon, hash browns and coffee. At a Denny's or IHOP this would be about $4.00 - $8.00. At the Hilton's Senses restaurant it was $14.00 (over $17.00 with tip). I charged this to my room. When I received the bill at checkout the charge was labeled Senses Bar. This being a business trip I would have a hard time justifying a $17.00 bar charge at 7:30am. I asked them to change the bill so it would read Senses Restaurant instead of Bar and they did that without any problem.

The conference rooms were well equipped with projectors, screens, etc. and with pads and pens at every seat and water at every table. The snacks and lunch items served our group were quite good.

Overall, I found the quality quite good, however a little pricey. Just what I would have expected from a Hilton Hotel.

Room Tip: The halls are very long. Try to get a room closer to the elevators or you'll be doing a lot of w...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
1.5 km away
2.9 km away
Crowne Plaza Stamford
Crowne Plaza Stamford
#5 of 14 in Stamford

Been to Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center? Share your experiences!