“Very good country French cuisne”
Review of Present Company

Present Company
Reserve with OpenTable
Present Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Reviewed December 21, 2017

I just returned from my first time at Present. It occupies the same space previously occupied by the fine dining establishment known as 21T in Tariffville (part of Simsbury,CT). Present offers country French cuisine in a casual atmosphere inside an old paper mill. The food was very good and the service excellent. My wife ordered an unusual vegetarian dish
, choi farci, with broccoli prepared with a garlicy flavoring and with crispy flowers. The broccoli accompanied a cabbage leaf stuffed with an exquisite mixture of julienne vegetables in a lentil puree. My daughter ordered the Hen au vin with incredibly tender and flavorful chicken breast. I ordered the pate bonne femme, foir gras surrounded by mushrooms ( a variety I had never seen before) and pork filet. Finally I ordered the Casoulet, incredibly tender slow-cooked lamb shoulder with white beans. All these entrees were cooked slowly to perfect the flavor of what might be described as inexpensive cuts of meat. We tried two of the desserts. The first was an apple tart with homemade vanilla bean ice cream. The second was "floating islands", soft meringue in a crème anglaise sauce. Both were excellent. We ordered a fine bottle of red wine unique to this menu. This was Thursday night when the bottles were half price. Service was professional, attentive and knowledgeable. They were very accommodating to my gluten intolerance. If you are looking for very good food that you have not tried before, this restaurant is an excellent choice.

Reviewed November 13, 2017

Went for my husbands birthday having read some incredible reviews...
So disappointing ! From a frosty welcome from receptionist to waitress who was in such a rush to have us order, eat and be gone. I felt wait staff were under pressure and not enough of them.
Ordered the Hen au Vin, waitress described it was a fillet stuffed, when it arrived I am sure they forgot to put this part on the plate as I got literally two bites of chicken on a bone with 5 mushrooms and two pearl onions, funny if I didn't pay $31 for it and wasn't so hungry....
Thank God for the 3 thin slices of baguette with blah "apple butter"
My husband ordered the swordfish, nothing special, maybe he had 6 bites .
Desert was the Pear Belle Helene, didn't have any wow factor, the waitress plonked it on the table with a small candle lighting and didn't even wish my husband a happy birthday ! of course we were charged for it.. what a show !
We left after a few glasses of wine which earned the two stars and didn't even have the heart to use the unisex toilet right next to the kitchen... ! best thing about this overly hyped open kitchen was the drive home and eating our own home made birthday cake .....

3  Thank beeirish1
Reviewed October 30, 2017

Reserved through Open Table - no problem. Chose the tasting menu for the evening - five excellent dishes, catering to meat and to fish people. Chose the wine coupling, as well, and were not disappointed there, either. One of us recommends the lamb dish, the other the crab dish - all great, with the chocolate fruit dessert an exceptionally pleasant surprise ending. Excellent and attentive service.

1  Thank Christopher S
Reviewed October 26, 2017

We had a five course tasting paired with 5 delicious wines. The theme for the fall 2017 menu is "A Homage to French Classics" and we tried a cream of artichoke soup, scallop au gratin, hen au vin, steak hambourgeoise, and for dessert we had the floating island which is a poached meringue dish. I also don't want to forget to mention the amuse bouche which was a curried shirmp salad that was to die for. Each and every course was amazing, service was outstanding and our entire experience was everything you could want when fine dining.

Present Company has a small and cozy dining room divided from the "bar" area where the "bar" is actually a chef's table with front row seating for their open kitchen. We sat at a high top in this area and were able to enjoy the dinner and a show vibe with a great view of everything happening in the kitchen.

We visited on a Monday evening, with a 7pm reservation and the restaurant was full the entire time we were there. Even though it seemed busy, service was stellar and we enjoyed visits to our table from both, Tom Gale and Chef Jeffrey Lizotte.

If you enjoy fine dining, I highly recommend putting Present Company on the top of your list to visit on your next night out. Take an Uber and add the wine pairing to all your courses!

Reviewed September 27, 2017 via mobile

This was our first trip to Present company but will not be the last. We went to celebrate our son's 32nd birthday and had a very pleasant experience, including our wonderful waitress. I don't usually ask for recommended dishes but did go with her selections and was very pleased. Dessert was amazing and I would highly recommend saving room!