“Not what we thought and that's a good thing.”

Molte Wine Bar & Pizzeria
Ranked #44 of 334 Restaurants in Waterbury
Reviewed January 24, 2017

Thought we'd try this place out. Came in on a snowy evening. Place was populated. I expected this place to be another fancy flatbread pizza place. Was pleasantly surprised to find a full menu. Had no intentions of ordering a big meal and ended up with the ribeye. Steak was prepared as asked. Wife and son both had sandwiches. One was a salmon and I don't remember the other. All was good. Good portion size as well. Server was awesome. Very personable and did not rush us. Reminded me of some Staten Island Italian places I've visited. Again, that's a good comparison. Wife has already been back with sister. They were a bit disappointed in trying to order a meatball sandwich and the kitchen was out. I saw that in other reciews. I like to assume positive so maybe they hadn't made a fresh batch for the evening.

1  Thank TherealVman

Reviewed January 18, 2017

We had a doctors visit right around the corner and decided to try the Molte Wine Bar. We sat just off the bar in a 2 top high table. It was a little slow at first just to get a drink. We ordered a few nice appetizers and then moved on to a lite dinner. We took half of the dinner home with us.

Reviewed January 17, 2017 via mobile

I was reluctant to go to Molte because of the experiences I had when 1249 Wine Bar was in that location. Granted, the food was good at 1249, but the staff and management were terrible. And early on when Molte first opened they were getting similar negative reviews. I had to see for myself so we went Friday night and from opening the front door to walking to our table in the bar, I could see a huge difference. It looked much brighter and cleaner. They moved the bar back to make room for customers to mingle. And later on I was brought upstairs to see the remodeled dining room which now looks bright and elegant. We sat at a high top table for two near the bar and the bartender gave us menus and took our drink order. Then our waiter came over a little later and took our dinner order. While we were waiting for our dinners to be served, Frank the owner introduced himself to us. Really nice guy and you can tell that he cares about his customers as well as his staff. The bartender and wait staff were super friendly and attentive. At this point, the experience already exceded my expectations and we didn't even try the food yet.
So now my first course comes out and it's the split pea soup topped with shaved parmegiano. I love split pea and this bowl of soup was awesome. Next our dinner arrived and my wife ordered the Burrata Pizza. More than enough for one person and it had great flavor. I ordered the Veal Carcioffi. Veal sauteed in a lemon butter sauce topped with artichoke hearts and shaved parmegiano and served with thinly sliced zucchini and oven roasted potatoes. It was a very good dish.
While we were having our dinner, the owner was sitting at the bar enjoying a piece of the chefs peanut butter pie. I usually don't order dessert but I was very tempted based on how good he said it was.
We declined to have any this time because we were full from dinner.
After dinner we continued to relax and enjoy the bottle of merlot that we ordered and chatted with the owner and his wife as well as one of the chefs.

Reviewed December 24, 2016 via mobile

First time there. I thought the food was great. Two different sized plates for dinner so no need to order a large portion. The food, I thought, was very good. Had lobster ravioli. Wis the wine list was a little bugger. Prices not bad. Clean.

Reviewed November 23, 2016 via mobile

I will start by giving kudos to the chef. We were a party of 4 and we sampled everyones dinner. The Molte Penne was superb! Penne pasta with mozzarella and eggplant. You could actually taste the eggplant which is a rarity in most restaurants. The pumpkin ravioli was very tasty and a good sized portion. The filet was served with potatoes,onions and peppers. Excellent! The pasta special was served with garbanzos, spinach and chicken (I think as I didn't sample this one). The rest of the group gave it high marks.
Now for the not so good. We ordered the LaMolisana meat and cheese platter with a side of the burratta mozzarella . When we asked our server where the burratta was, she told us it was on the platter! We assured her it wasn't and she then went back to the kitchen and brought the order and told us that the kichen said it was on the platter! Not very professional to throw your coworkers under the bus! We tried to order the veal special but we were informed that they were out of it. Mind you, this was 5pm on a Thursday. The special menu just came out. Our server couldn't care less, just repeated that they were out of that special. We had to plead with 3 different servers/bussers for more water.
One of our party ordered the gin blossom drink special which was quite tasty. We ordered a round for all of us and noticed this round came in tall soda glasses whereas the original came in a standard mixed drink glass. Needless to say this round was awful as the larger glass was filled with seltzer. When we mentioned this to our server she told us they ran out of the proper drink glasses and substituted the soda glasses. We all told her that it would have been fine with us if the glass was not full but the drink was made properly. She then told us that a different bartender made the drinks! Not sure what was the real story.
On to dessert. We ordered a lemoncello but alas, out of this too!
The lemocello cake, pumpkin cheese cake and the berries with cream were all very good!
In conclusion, the food was very good. The menu is extensive and resonable. Molte needs to step up the service if they want to be rated molto bene!