“The only pie for me... excellent!”

Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana
Ranked #27 of 334 Restaurants in Waterbury
Reviewed July 3, 2017

Pepe's Pizzeria in New Haven has been my absolute favorite pizza for years. Actually it's the only pizza for me. I am so excited that they opened one in Waterbury. At the Waterbury location, my margarita pie was perfect. It tasted so fresh, not greasy, and the crust was perfect!!! I enjoyed a glass of wine, as well as pleasant, efficient service. I highly recommend the Waterbury Pepe's. While the pie in Waterbury was excellent, on a par with New Haven, beware: not all Pepe's have that same level of excellence. (Danbury's crust was not the best, and West Hartford location was greasy and not as fresh.)

Reviewed June 28, 2017

When you're used to going to Wooster Street for pizza for 50 plus years, nothing is going to compare. It's not bad, it's just not the same, but then again we didn't expect it to be. Our pizza's were good, not great. The staff was friendly. Would I try it again, sure.

Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

I think Frank Pepe would not be happy to see what his descendants have done with his pizzeria. New Haven's most well known pizzeria and one of the best in Connecticut is quickly becoming known as one of the worst. The family is expanding the empire too fast. The quality of their pizza and the care given to their customers has diminished. Waterbury in particular has had bad reviews from people I know since it's opening. Poor tasting pizza, overly burnt pizza, spoiled sausage, and rude employees are just a few of the complaints.
But the nail in the coffin for me is what happened to a friend of mine this weekend. A friend of hers from South Carolina called Pepe's to order a pizza for her because she is recovering from a double mastectomy surgery. When she called she was told that they don't accept credit card orders over the phone. She placed the order anyway and figured they could work out the payment details for the pizza between themselves later on. Meanwhile, someone else must have called in a credit card order and was rude on the phone when he was told he couldn't place an order with a credit card. When my friend called to find out what time her pizza could be picked up, the girl assumed it was from the same people that were rude. She said she didn't put the order in because she didn't like the way she was spoken to. After my friend explained that she wasn't with that person, she asked what she should do because she planned on eating that pizza for dinner. She also mentioned that it's an inconvenience that they don't accept credit card phone orders.
The girl said with a careless attitude, "Not my problem, I don't make the rules". And then she hung up on my friend.
From what I've heard, the pizza at Mohegan Sun and Danbury isn't that good either.
If they don't address all of these problems, it's going to be a recipe for disaster.

2  Thank Townz
Reviewed June 26, 2017

I see others say not the same but we tried the new place in Waterbury. Our insult to injury was we have family in from Indiana. We boasted about our Pizza. Got three pies with toppings. $60+ later when we got home, 8 miles, was a big disappointment. The clam was dry, the other two meat were OK for toppings but a bite dry and the worst was the chewy, rubbery crust. Plenty of very good pizza places around but if we crave Pepe's we go to New Haven. Upside was the staff was very friendly. My local pick is Mario's in Oakville. Excellent!

2  Thank ronn958
Reviewed June 22, 2017

I have gone to Pepe's for the past 40 years in New Haven. I was so excited when one opened in Waterbury. It was terrible. No silverware. Tough crust (unbelievable). Warm wine (and I don't mean room temperature - i mean hot). It was just a disappointment - the sauce wasn't right and the pizza's were poorly assembled and baked.

1  Thank Dawn F